17 May 2014 - A Day To Reminisce And Remember. Scottish Cup Winners

AthensSaint

As a build up to the anniversary of the famous date......

Post your memories of the day........

Apart from the game itself - What are your pre or post match memories of the day ! 

I personally have so many....... but allow me to start off.. 

=======

Who was EssexSaints before the game....What was Times Square.... ???.......Pub in the middle of Glasgow allows us to go daft.... Feck Off !!!! 

Someone called EssexSaint managed to organise a pub as our match headquarters BANG in the middle of Glasgow (how???). To me, among  one of the big heroes of the day were Glasgow's finest........There were around six glasgow bobbies up at the Argyle Street end of Times Square pub when the young dude climbed on top of the container (20 foot TEU) waving his saints flag and started conducting the crowd.....one of them said...give him ten minutes of fame and we will ask one of you lot to ask him to come down. "We dont want to spoil your party". Just classic.....                 

But if you've met me and I've met you then it will confirm that we both exist.

Rik, can we bury the hatchet during this thread ?? Great hair do though ! 

BTW, I threatened to "dis" Big Salv on my three day trip back.....as he wouldnt put up a Saints poster for the build up in his shop. So I called him a miserable tw*t in front of two ladies.......unfortunately one was his mum and the other was his little sister......so yes...I am a pratt in real life as well :wink:       

Rik, can we bury the hatchet during this thread ?? Great hair do though ! 

BTW, I threatened to "dis" Big Salv on my three day trip back.....as he wouldnt put up a Saints poster for the build up in his shop. So I called him a miserable tw*t in front of two ladies.......unfortunately one was his mum and the other was his little sister......so yes...I am a pratt in real life as well :wink:       

You had a warning then  :laugh:  :laugh:

Montrose,

That photo of your wee laddie fills me with joy. Sure I've said before bit it somehow sums up what that day means to us all.

COYS!

The story of Montrose's young lad saying that he wasn't going on his school trip to see Man United play because it clashed with a Saints game was enough to melt all our hearts too.

The high we got on the build up to the final with tv and paper coverage. Some of the posts even on here were heartfelt. The day itself felt like Christmas morning as a kid. I was up and about from around 5am. One thing I dont remember too fondly was I had the grandkid the night before, he woke up no feeling too well, so I made myself a coffee and sat him with me in the livingroom. The wee man bless him was sick which went over me and the dog who was lying at my feet, the dog got such a fright he jumped up and nutted the table which knocked my coffee over my fecking laptop. I was left holding a spewing bairn in one hand while trying to save my precious laptop with the other meanwhile the dog was running in circles half knocked oot dripping sick on my new carpet, I actually thought I was gonnae greet. Once that drama was sorted it was a shower then food then off to Glasgow via a 25 seater bus. The pubs we frequented had a great mix of both supporters and the banter was superb, I never witness one bit of trouble. The walk to the ground was the same where I heard both set of supporters wishing each other luck, never thought I would see that against one of our up the Tay neighbours. The game itself, well dont think I have to mention anymore on that, apart from the scenes at the goals more so McLean running to the crowd was pure magic. I have to say the journey back on the bus was very very sombre though, it was almost like a disbelief after the high of the journey there, it seems that after a wait of 130 years it needed time to sink in. Back in Perth was a different story though, pub to pub was absolute heaving with some establishments being forced to shut their doors as they were bursting at the seams, the party went on all night for some, I can vouch for that going by the nick of some I bumped into the next day. On that subject the parade, again from start to finish the crowds lining the streets was outstanding. From the youngest in prams to pensioners getting assisted in wheelchairs many donning flags or the blue and white of St Johnstone. The city centre and beyond was packed with well wishers and people wanting to witness or join in our celebrations. I and a few others shared a few drinks with Chris Millars brother who had obviously been partying all night too. All in all many memories of that weekend and it would be hard to pick out a single one that would sum up that day.

Edited by chips

My thoughts on the 17th May 2014..............I will start at the semi final as we had booked a family holiday which meant I was actually mid air between Lanzarote and Edinburgh when the game was on. when I boarded the plane the first person I saw was Paul Kane also returning home with his family, as I was wearing my Saints top he obviously knew how I was feeling and we had a good banter before we took off. In all my life I have never had a more nervous flight but when we landed at Edinburgh PK received a text and turned round to me and shouted up to me they have f***** done it Stevie May double. I must admit the tears were flowing at that point (as they are now just thinking about it). Anyway I got back home to Peebles in time to join the returning "Peebles Saintees" (including Macca )for a celebratory drink in the Crown the Saintees songs were well to the fore that night my own favourite started by Stevie Mac was who the f*** is Eddie Knowles ( ie me). Anyway on to the day of the final itself I was up before 5.30 as I could not sleep. Went for a swim at Hydro leisure pool, then came home and had a full cooked breakfast (something I very seldom do). All my kids ( now fully grown adults) were here and so we headed down to the Crown for the first of many refreshments. There was 2 buses going from Peebles/ Innerleithen carrying some of Stevies and Murrays family and friends 70+ in total. The game itself seemed to fly by. I did think when their goalie stopped Dunnes shot going in maybe it was not ging to be our day but our bit of luck with their shots hitting the post/bar and then not hitting Mannus I just knew we were going to win. The feeling when Macca scored to make it 2-0 was unbelievable being surrounded most of all by my family but also by many friends and people I knew from my wee town did bring a tear to my eye. After the cup presentation seeing the "Peebles Saints" flag (which is still unfortunately in Lucerne after I received a whack on the head and some t*** knicked it) on the pitch is something that will live me for ever. The victory parade the next day was also very enjoyable although if I am being honest it is all a bit of an alcoholic induced blur.

Edited by ejksjfc

As a build up to the anniversary of the famous date......

Post your memories of the day........

Apart from the game itself - What are your pre or post match memories of the day !

I personally have so many....... but allow me to start off..

=======

Who was EssexSaints before the game....What was Times Square.... ???.......Pub in the middle of Glasgow allows us to go daft.... Feck Off !!!!

Someone called EssexSaint managed to organise a pub as our match headquarters BANG in the middle of Glasgow (how???). To me, among one of the big heroes of the day were Glasgow's finest........There were around six glasgow bobbies up at the Argyle Street end of Times Square pub when the young dude climbed on top of the container (20 foot TEU) waving his saints flag and started conducting the crowd.....one of them said...give him ten minutes of fame and we will ask one of you lot to ask him to come down. "We dont want to spoil your party". Just classic.....

Cheers Athens.....I was about before the cup final...honest...just not that vocal on here LAUGH OUT LOUD ....the story goes that I actualy had a broken back in three places whilst at the final.....and so before the big day i had time to organise the times square because I was off work LAUGH OUT LOUD.

For me heading along the A90 in the morning towards Perth it was just like heading to any big match but reaching the flyover at Glencarse and seeing the Saints banners hanging off the bridge brought tears to the eye and a confidence to us even though surrounded by Utd buses and cars . By the time we passed Broxden there was a feeling that this was going to be our day and so it turned out.

driving up to perth on the fri just to sample the blue ale, took my whole family and friends via times sq(police were great letting us all drink outside) as soon as cifti hit the bar i had that feeling it was our day-u never normally get that as a saints fan. the train home was quiet as we were all pumped and still couldnt believe it happened. got to my stop at stirling the mrs turned smiled an said go and enjoy yourself. so me and my mates had to jump on a bus partied with the players in the loft managed to find someone to put us up then the mrs picked us up outside the concert hall the next day after the bus tour. kids loved meeting the players too in the street. having my gran at the game was special tho