St Johnstone V Ross County - 11/8/15

franco

Wasn't great tonight but wasn't terrible either.

I think people are being bit harsh on Scobbie. He wasn't that bad tonight. All 3 of the defenders were culpable at the goal but other than that thought they grew into the game. Was a bit hairy at times but I wasn't worried we would concede again.

Really enjoyed the battle between Irvine and Muzz. Very similar players and both were excellent tonight. Also thought O'Halloran was superb. I criticised him for not finding the final pass after his terrific wing play on Sat and again tonight but he then went and put one on a plate for Cummins. Fair play.

Easton was also terrific.

Moving in the right direction I would say and once we have the full squad of defenders available to allow youth and experience to be blended and developed we will see a more cohesive defence emerge.

The midfield looks so disjointed at the moment we have no player that can come close filling in for Millar and continuing to play spoony when his confidence is at rock bottom is not helping him or the team.

Going forward we look decent and good to have competition up front.

OHalloran was again superb and seems to have improved on his strength and pace.

Muzz again a mega performance from a player who 6 weeks ago had a season ending injury a worthy captains performance

O. S. showing crowd of 3,065.

Where the hell were they?

Lucky if there were 2500 present.

I thought the east stand seemed a lot busier tonight than on Saturday, at least around the blue seats in the middle. These types of games on warm summer nights are always great and seem to draw out a decent crowd, certainly a decent following from county. While summer football isn't really a realistic option, an earlier start to the season with more games in summer midweek to replace those horrid February and January games would be far better.

Thought that was a decent game and an improvement from saints after a poor performance on Saturday. Still need to sort out how we start games though- 3 games 3 goals conceded in the opening 20 minutes of each game, though appreciate bit of bad luck involved in all 3 with deflections and slips. All in all not particularly worried and think our midfield will improve massively when Millar is back and Craig is unhibsed by Tommy Wright. Same with defence with regards to injuries, as while I thought Tam was ok tonight he is still too jittery to ever be our first choice. Brad McKay will be fine once Frazer Wright and Anderson have their way with him.

While I wasn't particularly convinced about Michael O'Halloran playing at right wing for us, he was fantastic there tonight. Still a few concerns about his ability to still offer us a goal threat from there and his final ball but he was an absolute joy to watch tonight. He really has developed into an absolutely stupendous player and his versatility is a real plus for us too. He will cause problems and get involved wherever we play him now, so not overly concerned where TW starts him. The prospect of Swanson and O'Halloran on the wings is definitely something to salivate over, Sutton and Cummins would score barrel loads every week.

Cummins looks great also. Really clever finish to add to his other well taken goals. Could be an absolute gem of a signing from TW.

Glass half empty ? =conceding an early goal again,not won yet and fans not 100% on board yet.....glass half full = coming back in all 3 games,striker scoring in all 3 games and only one (narrow away ) defeat.

Personally,I will top up my glass and trust in Tommy !.He was pretty upbeat in post-match interview.

Decent performance overall.  Scobbie was poor at times and then had some very good tackles at other times.  Muzz was terrific, Cummins looks a great find and Easton was his usual reliable self.  O'halloran was in great form and will make and score goals for us this season.  The others need to give him more of the ball though.  All in all a decent point against a County team who look good going forward and very dirty defensively.

Cummings was over earlier indicating he had a rib knock so that was why/I think  he came off . Nae wonder that Centre Half was throwing him around like a rugby player for most of the match. They are a Dirty/very physical side and certainly put themselves about alright, There striker booked in the first 5 minutes for leaving a foot in on Brad tells its own story. Mind you will maybe teach Brad he does not have the time to dwell on the ball. All in if this is as bad as it gets and is our Piss poor patch we are going through just now (As we seem to do most years I blame all this Europe malarky :laugh:) then fine. Expecting a difficult time on Saturday but onwards and upwards, Only criticism is our younger players should be getting their chance just now when injuries are kicking in how will they ever get their chance? Thought Muzz was excellent tonight although it looked a couple of times he was limping/struggling then next thing he is in winning tackles and running away the ball.  COYS.           

Would guess a lot of Season ticket holders couldnt get out of the care home for a midweek -but count as they are season ticket holders !

Doesn't work like that, the crowd was 3,065 because shock horror the turnstiles throughout the stadium clicked and turned 3,065 times.   it really is that simple, there is no fiddling of the crowds, there is a computer screen in office which counts ever click and turn and displays the number through each turnstile individually.  I saw it with my own eyes just after 8pm.   

I think we learned only one thing from last night: that Cummins is worth a good run in the first team.

Other than that it was much the same: the serial underperformers underperformed and the standouts so far - O'Halloran, Davidson - stood out again. We still lack decent delivery at set pieces, our defence remains porous, our midfield scattergun. To no-one's surprise, Sutton is as immobile on a Tuesday night as he is on a Saturday afternoon and we still have to find a way to work to his clear strengths. Interesting that MOH continually drove the ball across the goal rather than crossing the ball at head height. Wonder why?

Would have liked to have seen Kane and Cummins on the park together for a bit.

I liked County. Thought they were a decent side (particularly no 36) and were more adventurous than Caley on Saturday who time-wasted from the middle of the first half. That made it a better game. Their support put Caley's to shame too.

Really enjoyed that game. Both teams played decent football and county look a much improved side from last season. Scobbie isn't a premiership defender, simple as that. Again costing us the first goal tonight. Wotherspoon again was anonymous. Other than that though I thought we were quite impressive in spells. Murray looks back to his old self and O'halloran in his current form is too good for us and is a privelage to watch. Anyone else find Dodds and McIntyre's constant abuse and attitude to the fourth official shocking?

Wasn't great tonight but wasn't terrible either.

I think people are being bit harsh on Scobbie. He wasn't that bad tonight. All 3 of the defenders were culpable at the goal but other than that thought they grew into the game. Was a bit hairy at times but I wasn't worried we would concede again.

Really enjoyed the battle between Irvine and Muzz. Very similar players and both were excellent tonight. Also thought O'Halloran was superb. I criticised him for not finding the final pass after his terrific wing play on Sat and again tonight but he then went and put one on a plate for Cummins. Fair play.

Easton was also terrific.

Agree with you. I think Scobbie is being targeted by fans at games and every single thing he does is being slaughtered. He wasn't great but he was okay for the most part tonight. No worse than Mackay. It can takes months to gel a defence and we didn't really get much time pre-season for these two to get an understanding. Saints fans are great when we're getting into Europe and winning cups, but as soon as we're up against it folk turn on players that need a bit of backing and encouragement.

Hearts game defensively was a mess but Ross county and ICT will be mid table teams and we've conceded 2 goals in total against them. Clean sheets would have been better, but hardly a disaster. There is a lack of midfield protection for the back four as we get when Millar is there.

O'Halloran was brilliant again. Everyone knew what he was going to do each time but there's absolutely nothing they could do to stop him! Agree with the point if he sometimes played it across the 6 yard box a bit earlier when everyone was running into the goal rather than delaying until the defenders have crowded that area, then we'd see even more chances created.

Cummins really promising. Thought Sutton did ok. Spoony and especially Craig were poor on the ball. Thought Brown coming on when Spoony got injured would have been better to get his foot on the ball and get some possession again as we were giving the ball back to Them too easily.

Good County support for a Tuesday night.

Thought Easton let his man get the wrong side of him for the goal and Scobbie was never getting back

Tam was ahead of the County player and had an opportunity to skelp it into the stand but dwelled and allowed the boy in. Absolute horror defending. A similar thing happened with Easton later in the half and he used his body brilliantly to nullify any threat.

Tam is a good defender in terms of blocks and tackles, especially last ditch and brave stuff but when he's pressed to make a choice he more often than not makes an arse of it.