Morton v Saints. LC QF Tue 27th OCT

The ghost of Jim Morton

Decent game of football that. 

We should have been out of sight in the first half. Woodwork twice,  Cummins with two more chances and one Maclean missed.

Second half we started poorly. Easton had a poor game and relied in the excellent Scobbie bailing him out time and time again and it was no surprise the goal came from an Easton mistake. He's normally Mr consistent but he's had a couple of unusual performances by his standards lately.

After that Morton gifted us a goal with a handball for the penalty.  Morton were visibly tiring and the outstanding O'Halloran took over. His goal was terrific but his assist for Kane was even better. A delightful flick by Kane to set O'Halloran through, he drew all the defenders then squared for Kane to smash high into the net. Job done.

Also thought Maclean had a very good game. His touch and passing are spot on and deserved his 10th of the season.

Really enjoyable game.  Great professional performance.

thought both our our full backs struggled a bit tonight as Morton's 2 wide players were decent.  Ando looked solid and Scobbie decent enough but he really struggles to get any distance on his headers which sometimes invites pressure onto us a bit.

Could have been a few ahead at HT but no panic when Morton scored which was good to see.  O'Halloran can just turn a game at will - Superb for the 2nd and 3rd and great finish by Kane who looked lively.  Could well be in for a start on Saturday if we play with 2 strikers.  

It's a nonsense.  They should have this comp done and dusted before Christmas  like they used to.. Far better rather than lose the momentum  and interest.

agree completely.  We now have to wait over 3 months for the semi-final yet have a scottish cup tie next month.  League cup first half of season, scottish cup second half .. Simple!

Dundee Utd or Hibs at Tynecastle.

Ross County at Tannadice

Hearts at Easter Road

any of the above would be a brilliant day out..

(but a resounding no to Celtic at Hampden for a semi-final!)

agree completely.  We now have to wait overbred 3 months for the semi-final yet have a scottish cup tie next month.  League cup first half of season, scottish cup second half .. Simple!

Dundee Utd or Hibs at Tynecastle.

Ross County at Tannadice

Hearts at Easter Road

any of the above would be a brilliant day out..

(but a resounding no to Celtic at Hampden for a semi-final!)

Do the semi,s not have to be at Hampden ?.

how we never scored in that 1st half ill never know. Macca was superb as was Moh.

special mention for mortons no.12- half the height of croft double the belly

cappielow is a cracking ground proper old school (even the young team running around looking for a crap ) made it feel like the 80s

You certainly get a decent view of the action from the Wee Dublin End (although it can occasionally be difficult if you're a midget and people are choosing to stand on the benched seating rather than the ground which exists specifically for standing purposes).

Having said that, can't Morton afford a roof? Surely it's a necessary investment.

We looked dangerous when atttacking in the first half, but our finishing wasn't clinical enough and we left ourselves too open at the back. This meant that it was an entertaining game to watch though. It was quite end to end, but we had the better chances. I felt a bit negative about our chances when Morton took the lead, but we really looked in little danger of letting the game slip away from us after we equalised with the penalty.

I thought Morton played pretty well for 65-70 minutes and the left-back dealt with O'Halloran quite ably for the most part. It's a sign of Mikey's quality that, despite it not being one of his most dominating displays, he scored a great goal and provided an excellent assist for Kane.

One win away from another cup final.. One defeat away from another semi-final heartbreak.. Hopefully it's not the latter.

Thanks to the Barossa Saints. Enjoyed the bus journey and was pleased to win the top prize (SJFC paperweight) in the raffle. A successful evening overall. :cool:

Do the semi,s not have to be at Hampden ?.

Not in the league cup I'm sure. We played Hibs at Tynecastle a few years ago and the atmosphere still rates as one of the best I've ever experienced. Compare that to the semi against Motherwell at Hampden? The venue should be chosen to reflect the support of the two sides in the tie. Imagine us vs Ross County at Hampden? I would agree with the previous poster that only a tie involving Celtic will be played at Hampden at this stage. Would love Dundee United at Easter Road! 

Edited by SaintSam1884

Not in the league cup I'm sure. We played Hibs at Tynecastle a few years ago and the atmosphere still rates as one of the best I've ever experienced. Compare that to the semi against Motherwell at Hampden? The venue should be chosen to reflect the support of the two sides in the tie. Imagine us vs Ross County at Hampden? I would agree with the previous poster that only a tie involving Celtic will be played at Hampden at this stage. Would love Dundee United at Easter Road! 

Would prefer it at Tynecastle.  If we get Ross County, then Dens rather than Tannadice :)

To be fair, as frustrating as it is having to wait to find out the semi final line up, there's months between the two rounds anyway, so completely understandable waiting for the next free week instead of shuffling about league fixtures. No great rush. 

I know we've all tried to block it out, but we also played aberdeen in a league cup semi at Tynecastle 2 seasons ago.  That same season Hearts played Caley at Easter Road.

so no, league cup semi-final venues generally have been picked sensibly to reflect the support of both teams.