Alan Mannus: past his best?

Wee Mental Davie

After todays shocking performance especially, I've been increasingly hearing people in and around the fans at recent games calling for Zander to be given a shot as they feel Mannus is no longer up to scratch. To some extent I agree. I think if it wasn't for the fact Northern Ireland are in the Euros then Zander would be given more chances. As much as I love Alan Mannus, I do agree with others to the extent that some of the goals he has let in this season have been particularly poor, the 2nd goal vs Hibs for example, and the chip goal vs Alashkert. But whether or not he's past his best I'm not sure. Should Zander be given a start in upcoming games? He certainly proved his worth in the 2 games against Dundee United and Aberdeen, a great prospect for the future.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

It's funny though.  The club have always been adamant that the two keepers are both #1 material.  Zander hasn't really put a foot wrong, apart from the obscure blunder that gifted Aberdeen a corner in the 5-1 game.  If it's Mannus's shirt to lose, and Zander is considered to be good enough, then surely competition should be of benefit to both.  Zander gets some game time, Mannus gets a kick up the arse.

Worst thing for a keeper is to feel like they cannot lose the jersey IMO.

Some of the people wanting him dropped are the same people that were calling him the best keeper in Scotland after the young English boy that Celtic sold not long ago. The whole back line are short on confidence and form but not ability. Mannus clearly looks after himself. He'll have another good 5 years in him yet.

How about the complete lack of a settled defence this season because of injuries etc. The keeper and defence are one unit. 

Amazes me how quickly some of our support can turn on a club icon 

I think it is the other way round. The defence have no confidence in the keeper which makes it hard to defend ,as they know the keeper does not command his box.

I think it is the other way round. The defence have no confidence in the keeper which makes it hard to defend ,as they know the keeper does not command his box.

His distribution is woeful from feet or hands and is far too slow. I've made a point to watch opposition keepers and Mannus falls far short of them in these ways and also in failing to command his box. The amount of balls played into our six yard box which should be his but which he has failed to even come for is not good. Shot stopping is even becoming less than what it was. I don't know why, and I don't think it's as simple as blaming the defence. He is part of the problem. Tommy's bound to see it and it's his job to do something about it, not mine. Just as well, as I'd get it wrong.

I don't think it's really turning on a club legend to be questioning his form this year. This isn't the stands where we should be getting behind the team, this is a forum for voicing opinions about team selection, player form etc etc. I love Alan Mannus but he's not been good enough this season. He's not making glaring errors but there's so many goals that you have a niggling doubt about. Whether Zander is the answer will only be found out when we ask the question. 

I think a guy that has performed as well as he has for so many years deserves the benefit of the doubt. It would be interesting to find out how many changes we've made to our defence this season. I'll bet it's probably more than anyone else in the league. Stability breeds success. 

Take Leicester City, they've made less than 25 changes to their starting lineup all season. That kind of luck with injury and suspension makes a huge difference. 

Think at least he needs a boot up the arse experience, so being rested for a couple of games is all you can do for a goalkeeper really. last couple of home games TW has been more critical of him shouting at him etc etc, strange one today he had to give him a shout that he was taken his by kick from the wrong side (WTF). distribution is poor from kick outs, also I have no confidence if a shot is near the posts just now, we seem to loose to many goals from outside the box from speculative shots. needs dropped also Zander needs game time.   

I think a guy that has performed as well as he has for so many years deserves the benefit of the doubt. 

I agree with this 100 percent but how long can you give players the benefit of the doubt for? It's been an issue all season, you can't just keep playing someone because they've been good for us in the past. 

Not convinced not having a settled defence can be blamed for some of the goals he's conceded, Hibs last week for instance. 

I've been a self confessed Mannus fanboy for years, but he looks like he's lost all confidence and it's affecting the speed of his decision making. Far too often today our defenders were under pressure having to clear crosses from within the six yard box whilst mannus stood rooted to the spot.

We badly miss Frazer Wright when we're defending corners and I think this lack of presence is highlighting a weakness in Mannus' game. His positioning and the distribution of his body weight at direct free kicks has also been exposed recently. 

He looked like he was caught on the wrong foot last week and couldn't shift his weight. I was sat with Dr Jones and we both thought that that ball was only going one place as it was dropping. It fell perfectly for McGinn and he caught it really sweetly. You could blame Mannus but equally, you couldn't strike a ball much better.

Club icon yes but unfortunately time catches up with every player and for us there has been a few this season and mannus is one of them. People can say all they want about mannus staying in the sticks but they will be the same people that will complain when Zander moves on to another club and is a stand out performer. IMO Zander has to be given the shirt and see where we go from there

No. He has set himself very high standards and has arguably struggled to meet those standards during this current season. He's still an asset though. I think we'd be worse off without him in the starting line-up.

What a load of bollocks

the goalie needs to command, he needs to be decisive, he needs to give his defense confidence.

i love Mannus but he is a liability, he never comes for a ball and even his distribution and ball kicking has been dodgy lately.

First to admit if we didn't have the Zander I would be sticking, I'm now twisting