Player contracts and transfers

David123

I did notice at the time that Juanma was constantly rolling about at the time.

I miss Jim Goodwin. He would of broke him into 5 pieces :(

Jim Goodwin isn't a Hardman, he would disappear if Juanma or anyone else had a go back at him.

No racism intended. I think it's good to hear a saints player who has just joined the club vent in the media. Shows some character, whether good or not, and shows he actualy gives a shi*

Blue tinted specs again! :)

I agree, though. Nothing racist intended, but you know how easily people take offence (oddly enough usually not the 'foreigners').

It was slightly dodgy, no more. Probably unwise, but not a hanging offence. I'm old enough to remember English managers explaining on TV that black folk would never make good football pros because they were too lazy. The old chestnut about foreign players being "dirty" has been around since Moses signed for Stranraer. Anyone mind every, every single game in the world cup, English commentators explaining how foreigners could never be good goalies?

The old chestnut about foreign players being "dirty" has been around since Moses signed for Stranraer. 

I think it used to be true too , certainly in the 1960s and 1970s. Diving and simulation undeniably increased massively in the late 1980s - around the time we had a big influx of players. And now it's a part of the British game - and rather than dismissed as foreign, it's now often credited as clever.

Even now - thinking back to the 'sophisticated' tactics of Minks and to a lesser extent Alashkert - I think I remember thinking 'you'd never get away with that in Scotland'.

Blue tinted specs again! :)

I agree, though. Nothing racist intended, but you know how easily people take offence (oddly enough usually not the 'foreigners').

I'm getting great use out of them already this season! How's your new saints away top? Happy with your purchase?

Defo didn't come across as being racist. He has said exactly what me and my dad were shouting out watching the game. He went down at the drop of a hat. Hate the guy already.

I'm getting great use out of them already this season! How's your new saints away top? Happy with your purchase?

Defo didn't come across as being racist. He has said exactly what me and my dad were shouting out watching the game. He went down at the drop of a hat. Hate the guy already.

Like the new top better than the home one! Something different and quite smart. Three of us got one, and two of us the home one. Expensive couple of trips to Perth, including the petrol and Murray's the Bakers!!!

Juanma is exactly the type of player opposition fans hate.

If he played for us we'd love him, although even some of the Hearts' fans think he'd be better if he cut out the falling down stuff.

There is no guarantee he'll 'defo come good'. Hearts clearly don't think so otherwise they wouldn't have released him.

We need to give him time not because he's a raw teenager - he isn't - or because he lacks first team experience - he doesn't - but because the management team haven't had a chance to work on his weaknesses and exploit his promise. Only then will we be able to fully judge him.

Hearts treated him with respect due to the way he had conducted himself there. They let him go because he wanted more first team football. He was well respected and rated at Tynecastle

Has anyone heard anything about the Swanson deal yet was Tommy not trying to get something done

Last I heard was Tommy was meant to be contacting mowbray ths week and see if there is any chance of us signing him.

It is in the Coventry telegraph today that swanson is missing their game this weekend due to injury

Hearts treated him with respect due to the way he had conducted himself there. They let him go because he wanted more first team football. He was well respected and rated at Tynecastle

Fair play to the boy too. He was wise enough to realise that promotion tied in with Hearts big attendances meant that they'd be spending money consequently limiting his chances to play.

Last I heard was Tommy was meant to be contacting mowbray ths week and see if there is any chance of us signing him.

It is in the Coventry telegraph today that swanson is missing their game this weekend due to injury

This injury is the latest in a long line and is a concern for me.He spends so much time on the "table" that you would not get a settled midfield.Poor Muzz is now pretty much in the same boat.and Midgies groin is also a worry.

football in other countries has a reputation for players diving and histrionics, so what the hell is wrong with saying he is a typical foreign player diving about? How is that remotely racist? The PC brigade will go to any lengths of obscurity to make a statement inappropriate.

I'm not saying this is the case in Brad's case, I've not heard what he actually said, but stereotyping people negatively because of a reputation which the group they belong to (nationality, race, religion) has is pretty much the definition of racism. The 'it's PC gone mad' brigade tend to be the ones who want to be casually racist and are bitter because they can't anymore.

This injury is the latest in a long line and is a concern for me.He spends so much time on the "table" that you would not get a settled midfield.Poor Muzz is now pretty much in the same boat.and Midgies groin is also a worry.

I see Midge could be back training this week and, although prob not available for Saturday, could be back for County game

I'm not saying this is the case in Brad's case, I've not heard what he actually said, but stereotyping people negatively because of a reputation which the group they belong to (nationality, race, religion) has is pretty much the definition of racism. The 'it's PC gone mad' brigade tend to be the ones who want to be casually racist and are bitter because they can't anymore.

He said he was a typical foreigner with his play acting. I don't see this as a negative stereotype. It's a widely accepted fact that this goes on in the Mainland European/South American leagues. Accepted and admitted by both foreign players and managers alike. I remember reading an article with Gus Poyet where he mentioned that he advises new players arriving from abroad about the cultural difference regarding simulation here and abroad and how it is not accepted here even by a club's own support.

So watching Spanish football and being angered by the amount of rolling around, play acting and whining to the referee is racist?  It's just what football is like in Spain.  Wow.

I'm sorry montrose but although I can't put it to you in any other terms, you are missing the point and drawing false connections.

There is no link between being angered by the rolling around in Spain and claiming cheating is the action of a "typical foreigner". There is no link at all, you have just created that exaggerated comparison and it is of no value. 

What Brad said suggests that cheating is the action of a typical foreign person, when in fact it is only a trait of a select group of footballers even from within certain countries. His words weren't vile or obscene or disgustingly racist, just an incorrect and sloppy generalisation which displayed some lazy xenophobia.

The issue isn't the exact nature of his words, but the fact he was dumb enough to say anything that exposes him to criticism in this way.

So watching Spanish football and being angered by the amount of rolling around, play acting and whining to the referee is racist? It's just what football is like in Spain. Wow.

See what you have done here is classic 'PC gone mad' maneuvering of the goalposts and described a situation that has absolutely no relevance to the situation. FWIW even Brad McKay himself has retweeted a couple of things that suggests he knows 'typical foreigner' was not a wise choice of phrase. It's not a huge deal, but it certainly doesn't reflect particularly well on him and I'm sure he will watch his turn of phrase in future.

I'm sorry montrose but although I can't put it to you in any other terms, you are missing the point and drawing false connections.

There is no link between being angered by the rolling around in Spain and claiming cheating is the action of a "typical foreigner". There is no link at all, you have just created that exaggerated comparison and it is of no value.

What Brad said suggests that cheating is the action of a typical foreign person, when in fact it is only a trait of a select group of footballers even from within certain countries. His words weren't vile or obscene or disgustingly racist, just an incorrect and sloppy generalisation which displayed some lazy xenophobia.

The issue isn't the exact nature of his words, but the fact he was dumb enough to say anything that exposes him to criticism in this way.

Got distracted at work so you beat me by six minutes, but yes, this sums up my view much better than my own words.