Player contracts and transfers

David123

Point accepted, thanks, but my point was that folk seem to be queuing up to tell Saints how to spend the May money. It's been spent.

There's three schools of thought.

The first is those that believe we should pay our players 5 quid a week and that we are some absolute newt of a football club with not a penny.

The second is those that believe we are too tight as a football club and should spend what we don't have.

The third is somewhere in the middle. Those that see through all the nonsense of school of thought one but don't want us to become the next Rangers or Hearts or Livingston.

The third lot are the ones who are right..........

We chased the Euro Dream again last season possibly to the detriment of these Three young players again, I Believe once safety is secured then we should have the young guys playing every game to the end of the season this then gives them playing time if they are to improve (make it at this level) then we should already know this I suppose we have next season to try this out again.     

I completely disagree with this. I don't want us to settle for safety and then play experimental line-ups. I want us to be as ambitious as possible and strive to finish as high up the league as possible, and of course I want us to "chase the Euro Dream" again. And I would strongly hope that Tommy Wright and the players want that too. We absolutely must play our strongest team in every game. If the young players want to play, then it's up to them to prove that they're part of that strongest team, just like Stevie May did.

Last season with a few matches to go we had the ridiculous situation of people on here saying we should throw in the towel and play youngsters, even though we were only a point or two behind Dundee United. Fortunately, the manager had no intention of ever doing that, and that's why we finished fourth and got to qualify for Europe for the fourth year in a row.

I hope we do - though I'm not sure we will. As an aside it was interesting to look back through an old Rothmans to see Paul Sturrock's use of youngsters in the late 1990s. An 18-year-old Danny Griffin and a 19-year-old Stuart McCluskey as regular centre backs! I suppose the loan market wasn't as established then, so to give players the chance, you really had to play them. Credit to Sturrock that we did: and it didn't do us any harm.

As I remember it from the time, McCluskey only really played to cover for injuries. He was never Sturrock's first choice pick. Our regular partnership was Weir and Griffin. Sturrock did do really well at bringing in youngsters, of course - he brought in Griffin and even made him captain on occasion, along with giving chances to guys like Callum Davidson, Andy Whiteford, Charlie King and Kieran McAnespie. But we were a lower division club at that time. I don't think Sturrock was quite as keen to bring through young players after we won promotion. Our Premier League team under Sturrock was largely made up of experienced, reliable pros who did a solid job and got lots of 1-0 wins without really ever having a great deal of flair or pace - quite a lot like the situation we're in now, in fact.

As I remember it from the time, McCluskey only really played to cover for injuries. He was never Sturrock's first choice pick. Our regular partnership was Weir and Griffin. Sturrock did do really well at bringing in youngsters, of course - he brought in Griffin and even made him captain on occasion, along with giving chances to guys like Callum Davidson, Andy Whiteford, Charlie King and Kieran McAnespie. But we were a lower division club at that time. I don't think Sturrock was quite as keen to bring through young players after we won promotion. Our Premier League team under Sturrock was largely made up of experienced, reliable pros who did a solid job and got lots of 1-0 wins without really ever having a great deal of flair or pace - quite a lot like the situation we're in now, in fact.

think fizzy can be added to the list too. remember one game against celtic our starting mf was  brendan crozier and another youngster (although forced to due to injuries) , both played well though disappeared iirc

Last season with a few matches to go we had the ridiculous situation of people on here saying we should throw in the towel and play youngsters, even though we were only a point or two behind Dundee United. Fortunately, the manager had no intention of ever doing that, and that's why we finished fourth and got to qualify for Europe for the fourth year in a row.

Agree - put only up to a point. First, I'll repeat we were lucky last season because other clubs lost key players, as much as the performances of our own team. (And that's not to downplay our achievements; I tell myself this as much to keep expectations in check this year).

But even if we agree that the more experienced players did help us get that fourth place - I'll even generously brush aside Chris Kane's role - in retrospect (and I know this is easy) would we be in a better place now if we'd risked some younger players and lost fourth?

I'm not worried about this season - we have the players to do ok. But long-term Saints will be in trouble unless (i) we continue to win cups every year or ( ii ) we produce saleable youngsters. Getting them out on loan is a start, but I fear that every time Tommy Wright is minded to buy in experience rather than play youngsters. Eventually we'll lose out both in terms of the value of the young players we produce, and our attractiveness to young players.

I won't deny Tommy's approach has done well this far - but it has to hit us eventually unless we keep riding this wave of success. Are we ready for it?

Edited by Brogan

I agree with you Brogan, but I can see the other side of it too, in that we couldn't have known Europe would be so terrible this year, both the nightmare frae in both rounds and then not even getting to second round. We might have felt differently if it had been more like recent years.

I still feel the young three (at the very least) should be featuring a lot more, although I expect Kane will this season anyway.

I agree with you Brogan, but I can see the other side of it too, in that we couldn't have known Europe would be so terrible this year, both the nightmare frae in both rounds and then not even getting to second round. We might have felt differently if it had been more like recent years.

I still feel the young three (at the very least) should be featuring a lot more, although I expect Kane will this season anyway.

Yes hindsight is easy - and I hope Blueheaven is right: if we keep qualifying for Europe my argument quite rightly will be exposed in all its shameful short-sightedness.

Agree Kane will probably feature more (but is it because the management team's hand has to be finally forced - realistically how long can he persevere with MacLean in the current system when it's been obvious for months it isn't working?)

Agree that we as in (the management team) need to show our youngster a bit more confidence in their ability, I can honestly say that each preseason I think they are coming through then they disappear again. have/show them faith in their ability they have the gallous/confidence to give us a spark..  Rodgers/Caddis/Brown/Thompson all capable of playing IMO ( Dylan Easton also would fall into that bracket but seems to be nowhere now?).  

Agree that we as in (the management team) need to show our youngster a bit more confidence in their ability, I can honestly say that each preseason I think they are coming through then they disappear again. have/show them faith in their ability they have the gallous/confidence to give us a spark..  Rodgers/Caddis/Brown/Thompson all capable of playing IMO ( Dylan Easton also would fall into that bracket but seems to be nowhere now?).  

I can understand Brown not authorising another signing. The pool we had out today plus D East on,Ando,Muzz Caddis & Lappin + all the guys out on loan must be the biggest outside Tic & Dons.

think fizzy can be added to the list too. remember one game against celtic our starting mf was  brendan crozier and another youngster (although forced to due to injuries) , both played well though disappeared iirc

I remember a game against Celtic when McCluskey & Griffin were the 2 centre backs & we only lost 1-0 at Celtic Park & both players got a great write-up in the press

Agree - put only up to a point. First, I'll repeat we were lucky last season because other clubs lost key players, as much as the performances of our own team. (And that's not to downplay our achievements; I tell myself this as much to keep expectations in check this year).

But even if we agree that the more experienced players did help us get that fourth place - I'll even generously brush aside Chris Kane's role - in retrospect (and I know this is easy) would we be in a better place now if we'd risked some younger players and lost fourth?

I'm not worried about this season - we have the players to do ok. But long-term Saints will be in trouble unless (i) we continue to win cups every year or ( ii ) we produce saleable youngsters. Getting them out on loan is a start, but I fear that every time Tommy Wright is minded to buy in experience rather than play youngsters. Eventually we'll lose out both in terms of the value of the young players we produce, and our attractiveness to young players.

I won't deny Tommy's approach has done well this far - but it has to hit us eventually unless we keep riding this wave of success. Are we ready for it?

It wasn't only other teams that lost key players. We lost a 25 goal a season striker and were without Muzz for large spells.

I can understand Brown not authorising another signing. The pool we had out today plus D East on,Ando,Muzz Caddis & Lappin + all the guys out on loan must be the biggest outside Tic & Dons.

Our first team squad is about 23 players, once you ignore those away on loan and include Craig Thomson. Thats the perfect size pretty much, although we were initially planning to take out Thomson from that and add a more experienced winger.

Its about the 4th/5th/6th biggest squad in the league depending on what players you think should be included. And even then its only one or two above those in the "bottom six". Its certainly not bloated anyway, as the amount of youth players still at the club is smaller than most clubs too.