Player contracts and transfers

David123

There is also the added complication of Stevy May and his new contract. Until that is signed up I doubt if TW will have a feel for the total budget he has left for any signings.

I agree, Stevie could have been offered close to the equivalent of a new players wage on top of what he's on just now. If he doesn't sign the deal then chances are we'll have budget for another player. If he signed the deal though then the budget is depleted somewhat. Until this is sorted out I can understand why we're not making any major moves. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there were three possible budgets. There are so many variables in setting budgets that it would be silly not to have back-up plans. Who knows how many season tickets we'll sell? What effect would, in the unlikely event of it happening, Dungcaster and co manage to attract some sponsors? Is Stevie May staying or going?

I find it unbelievable that the club does not have a figure for signings and salaries. In my opinion the board must know whats the minimum amount available for TW (at least the same as last year). This gives TW some ammunition to sign players already identified. Remember we have the salaries of top players released (Haislebaink, Clegg, Dunne, Iwelumo and Clancy) to play with. I also think it is unfair on May to drag out his negotiations. If we cannot meet Goodwilies demands forget about him and look elsewhere surely the staff have a contingency plan if they do get their first choices. All this arsing about makes us look very amateurish with our season starting in a couple of weeks. It is alright saying we trust TW and have the board to thank for last season but like all businesses we have to look forward and this dilly dallying makes me think they do not have a clue what moneys available.

I find it unbelievable that the club does not have a figure for signings and salaries. In my opinion the board must know whats the minimum amount available for TW (at least the same as last year). This gives TW some ammunition to sign players already identified. Remember we have the salaries of top players released (Haislebaink, Clegg, Dunne, Iwelumo and Clancy) to play with. I also think it is unfair on May to drag out his negotiations. If we cannot meet Goodwilies demands forget about him and look elsewhere surely the staff have a contingency plan if they do get their first choices. All this arsing about makes us look very amateurish with our season starting in a couple of weeks. It is alright saying we trust TW and have the board to thank for last season but like all businesses we have to look forward and this dilly dallying makes me think they do not have a clue what moneys available.

All businesses have to look forward but how much information do "Service Users" need to have and when do they need to have it by?

I am bemused as to your comment about Stevy Mays negotiations being dragged out. My understanding is that the Club have made an offer the payers agent was discussing it with him at the weekend and coming back to the Club today. Don't see how the club can be blamed for that.

Salary wise we will have Caddis, kane in the first team squad calculations now as well where as last year they were on loan which gave us the cash to fund at least one of the signings mentioned,

After doing the "Business" after a mere 130 years .!Tommy Wright and Steve Brown have my implicit trust and total confidence ....until at least Christmas.!

Edited by croc

The "arsing about " as you describe it appears to be obtained from what you read on here.

Regarding budgets for the forthcoming season,  they have  not been made public (and neither should they)  so there again you are believing the pish being spouted on here by those speculating what the budget(s) is/are.

Stay calm and carry on.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Remember Tommy's own contract is not resolved.  Maybe his thinking is that if he signs no new players, he can get 20 grand a week  :roll:

Oh that rascal!

I wonder if Steve wants to get all the contracts for existing players/staff sorted before starting on new signings? Tommy said his new deal was 'pretty close' and Stevie May will sign back up again too, so I suppose it makes sense to assess the budget damage once that's done? I'd imagine that, if Tommy is signing a new deal, CD and Cleland will too.

As I understand it, the club do not yet know how much they will receive from winning the Scottish Cup last season in terms of gate receipts etc. As has been mentioned there is the potential of a league sponser (though with Doncaster in charge, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one). The club don't yet know how much Stevie May will 'settle' for to sign an extension, so that muddies the water a little in terms of the budget. So I imagine the club will wait to see what comes of the first point and what May signs for...realistically there is no hurry.

The thing with May is that it is a business deal. We know he's going to go so we're just ensuring that we get a fee for him. Fair play to the player for recognising that and wanting to work with the club to make sure that happens. So with that in mind isn't it worth just getting him signed sooner rather than later as any money spent over the season will be recouped? He can't be wanting that much more and with Hasselbaink gone surely there's enough wedge available to get a deal done now?

Wright's comments about Goodwillie make me wonder if perhaps they're not waiting for May to go to free up cash to land that DAB.

Re your point, Andrew.

Of course there are variables but that's what pulling a budget together is all about. Base your budget on a certain scenario and go from there. I would be amazed if we hadn't done the guts of this work already with some tweaks to reflect season ticket numbers etc.

Re your point, Andrew.

Of course there are variables but that's what pulling a budget together is all about. Base your budget on a certain scenario and go from there. I would be amazed if we hadn't done the guts of this work already with some tweaks to reflect season ticket numbers etc.

I know. I was being........what's the word?

Provocative? Patronising?

Budgets aren't difficult at all.

;)