Saints v Aberdeen Rearranged game 20th Aug

THE LARK SAINT

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.   Passing with no purpose.  Lack of desire to win the game by management.   Second half Aberdeen would have flagged due to lack of match sharpness, but looked like we flagged more.  One up top with no supply is poor.    

28 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Watched the second half afterwards just to see how bad it was....wow.

Cant say I am sold on this new formation, the three up front (if you call it that) don't seem to combine at all. Hendry being the front man surely should spend a great amount of time in the box ready for crosses etc but he seemed to be out and around the box looking for the ball for most of the night.

The crossing was poor, rarely beat the first man, or was over hit. Reckon McNamara will get better with more game time, but his distribution was poor last night.

With the goal, I am afraid Tanser can't defend. With Booth injured (I assume) then he was the obvious replacement and generally is better going forward, but defending is not is strong point. Disappointed with Gordon as well, not sure why he turned his back on the shot wasn't exactly a blast of a shot.

Callum wasn't too down on the players in the media...hopefully he was in the dressing room as they need a vast improvement on Sunday.

The return of the likes of Davidson and May will help in the coming weeks (even Kane will!). What exactly is the problem with May anyway, don't seem to have seen anything saying what the injury is.

May away getting a tattoo done.;)

8 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.   Passing with no purpose.  Lack of desire to win the game by management.   Second half Aberdeen would have flagged due to lack of match sharpness, but looked like we flagged more.  One up top with no supply is poor.    

Shocking effort after such pronmse from the Utd. game when we looked hungry and very fit.

Craig and Sponny looked good but we have to use these senior players correctly or they will be burned out and injured by December.

McNamara looks a real find.

Defense dissapointed when I had such high hopes for this young back line.

What's the situation with Muzz, Kane and May?

Did we really only have one shot on target? How is that measured btw? We had several shots blocked by defenders, some deflecting off for corners and looked to be on target. Does it only count as on target if ball either goes in or reaches keeper?

on a positive note, saints TV picture quality was good.

7 minutes ago, dunblanemike said:

Did we really only have one shot on target? How is that measured btw? We had several shots blocked by defenders, some deflecting off for corners and looked to be on target. Does it only count as on target if ball either goes in or reaches keeper?

I don't recall seeing a shot on target in the second half even with a defender blocking one.

11 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

Jesus that was horrific. 1 shot on goal against Aberdeen reserves. It had 0 - 0 written all it over until tat deflection.

Yes it was horrific but ABERDEEN RESERVES really? Every one of they players that he played last night were first team players. it was hardly a team filled with youngsters making their first team debut. I actually think our team was a younger team than aberdeen. 

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Let's hope that CD learns to be adaptable and doesn't stubbornly stick to a system that doesn't work.

This is what concerns me. He’s bringing a system from his last club and trying to make it work here, not finding a system that works with the player he has. The Hearts manager did the same last year and look how that turned out.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Craig and Sponny looked good but we have to use these senior players correctly or they will be burned out and injured by December

Craig??? Really? Thought he looked sluggish and never really got a grip on the game. 

8 minutes ago, Linky said:

This is what concerns me. He’s bringing a system from his last club and trying to make it work here, not finding a system that works with the player he has. The Hearts manager did the same last year and look how that turned out.

It always concerns me when a manager in Scottish football talks about a “style” or “philosophy”.

I don’t think it works in Scottish football. It can definitely be easy on the eye and more entertaining but is very rarely profitable or sustainable. John Hughes, Danny Lennon, Neil McCann and Ian Cathro immediately spring to mind but there have been others.

Think how many matches Celtic win by just loading the box for the last 15 minutes and grinding out a 1-0.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think this myth we were a great side before needs to due.

We barely got a shot on target at home to Livingston in the final game before lockdown.

Livi not a good guide as they don't let anyone play.

Its not a myth that for the months up to the shutdown I personally was enjoying & looking forward to going to the games for the first time in 2 or 3 years.

It was a shyte game with 2 teams that couldn't pass a ball on a perfect pitch but I think the main reason for a poor game was Collum. He stopped the play for 17 free kicks against Saints & 13 against Aberdeen in a game played like a friendly with not 1 bad tackle. I don't think he played advantage once.

Nice to see there is no over reaction to last nights defeat. 

Yes it was a poor performance but lets not start hitting the old panic buttons with the usual system is wrong manager does not know his tactics etc. Cause you all know what happened to those that posted these same comments last season, they were left with egg on their faces. 

Give the manager time. and whilst there is also the crocodile tears in the media about Aberdeen having 4 strikers out injured Saints had 2 strikers plus others out last night on a  much smaller squad. 

21 minutes ago, Cagey said:

It was a shyte game with 2 teams that couldn't pass a ball on a perfect pitch but I think the main reason for a poor game was Collum. He stopped the play for 17 free kicks against Saints & 13 against Aberdeen in a game played like a friendly with not 1 bad tackle. I don't think he played advantage once.

No he did play advantage but brought it back for the foul nearly every time :laugh:

1 hour ago, dunblanemike said:

Its a shot on target if the shot hits the target. 

Youd otherwise end up with teams with double figures worth of "shots on target", yet the keeper not making a save.

To be honest I don't think we were as bad as some are making out. I thought we played OK for quite a lot of the game - our pressing was good, we knocked the ball around nicely at times, and our players (or at least most of them) look fit and up for it. The big issue for me is that we're creating absolutely nothing and never, ever looked like scoring against the weakest Aberdeen team I've seen in quite some time.

What I find really disappointing is that, in the second half of last season, we saw Hendry and May starting to form a really strong partnership, but we haven't been able to hit the ground running with that same pairing this season. Hendry's been working his arse off but looks very, very isolated and to me this is very reminiscent of what everyone was saying this time last season when Tommy was persisting with May on his own up front. Clearly this system isn't working and what we now really need is for Davidson to be able to be reactive to that and find an alternative that works. Personally I think he's trying to be a bit too clever with his system and he needs to bring it back to basics. I think I'd probably start with playing a simple flat back four and take it from there. Just because we have three good options at central defence doesn't mean they all need to play at the same time.

On the plus side, McNamara is increasingly looking like a really good find. He seems comfortable in multiple positions, fast, and positive with the ball. Very impressive to see someone so young and inexperienced adapt so quickly to Scottish football at this level. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with quite a few other clubs sniffing around. He's certainly made a much bigger impact than Conway, who for me has looked miles off the pace and seems to be really struggling in these matches so far.

We can talk about possession a shots at goal but they mean diddily squat if you do not score. I am waiting on one of our back 3 getting caught in possession or a misplaced pass when the opposition press all 3. This usualy results with the man in possession puntting it up the park. Their distribution has been awful. In their favour they have defended well. My main worry is the lack of creativity. 11 shots last night, the majority of them were from outside the box as was our only shot on target. Everyone wants to score and not play it off. When Hendry came off, we had 3 wingers playing up front. That says it all. As I said last night we should have change (as we did against Killie) and went 4 4 2 with MOH and Spooney wide.

Edited by Johnny B

Conway looks overweight and unfit to me. McNamara is great, but he’s on loan. Davidson is trying to change the whole way Saints play (& have played for many years), but without having very many friendlies or preparation for it. These issues could’ve been ironed out with enough friendlies played. It feels as if players are being picked to fit the system, rather than on merit.

23 hours ago, Cagey said:

The most annoying thing about Collum is that he actually is a decent referee (our semi final against Aberdeen he was excellent) he just lets his ego get in the way far too often. Agree he was awful on Thursday.