Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

49 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Going to have to assume that Ali or his agent had a hefty hand in forcing through a deal?

Should have knocked out anything below £2m.

Callum will be absolutely furious.

Suspect agent stuffing around. No pressure to sell, but if agent comes up with a fat wage/signing on fee, difficult to stand in a players way. SB has previously stated that the season's target is top 6. Not a chance of that happening. Is Crawford even match fit?

Not wanting to be doom & gloom, but we'll be lucky to make 10th. We haven't won a game in any competition in regulation 90mins. We've got Craig, Bryson who won't last past this season. McCart may sign a pre-contract with Hibs/whomever. 

One hell of a rebuild. And, no, loan signings are just a bandaid, with no ongoing continuity. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. it just takes 1 loan player to be recalled and we're running on empty. There's no forward vision. We knew bids would come. I accept agents/players may have forced through deals, but Jesus, it's like we've been done over as last drinks are called at the bar.

I've never really understood the footballer forcing a clubs hand bit.....so lets say Callum/club wanted a minimum of $2m+ for Mccann, but the offer comes in at $1.2m, would Mccann know that, or his agent? And if yes, (despite contract) can he tell the club he wants the move, and the club really have a choice of disgruntled player for a year is the only risk? Or am I missing something here.....one would assume Ali will only get better and better and grow further in value from how he has kicked on last few years. 

Of course Ali will be getting a big pay increase, so can't blame him, its just the lack of value the club gets out of this and how the mechanics work against saints here im cloudy on.

4 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I've never really understood the footballer forcing a clubs hand bit.....so lets say Callum/club wanted a minimum of $2m+ for Mccann, but the offer comes in at $1.2m, would Mccann know that, or his agent? And if yes, (despite contract) can he tell the club he wants the move, and the club really have a choice of disgruntled player for a year is the only risk? Or am I missing something here.....one would assume Ali will only get better and better and grow further in value from how he has kicked on last few years. 

Of course Ali will be getting a big pay increase, so can't blame him, its just the lack of value the club gets out of this and how the mechanics work against saints here im cloudy on.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. 
However in any normal club’s case, given the low fee involved, we would expect to have a higher sell on percentage. Maybe 25-30%

With us, who the hell knows. 

Possible add ons after x number of appearance, x caps and promotion too, the way the club are talking. 

I'm hoping SB puts out something about this period of "non business" and doesn't leave it to CD. 

Cue "we're a selling club", "current financial climate", "guarantees the long term feasibility of the club", "it was the best offer we could get". Maybe. But add-ons are not guaranteed. McCann could get crocked & that's gone. 

What have we become? A fricking AirBnB? We're paying St.Mirrens wages for some guy. We knew it was coming. ZERO FORESIGHT. If Saints signed a 3 year contract with some exciting young talent, fair enough. But we're left hollow & team unity is now going to be put under pressure.

Relegation fodder now I fear.  Absolutely horrendous transfer deadline day completely bursts the feel good bubble that the Euro games created.  Totally gutted.

I guess the feeling that the chairman will be sipping champagne to celebrate a wonderful evening makes it all seem so much worse - and inevitable.

St Johnstone once again officially a diddy club.

4 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I'm bombarding every tweet or FB release by the club. COMPLETE MISMANAGEMENT. 

Lucky to stay up this season. Galatasaray 2 weeks ago... QoS next season. SB, you'd better get some money out in January.

I think you need to chill. No not happy that McCann is away but the player and his agent have obviously expressed a desire to leave and why would you keep an unhappy player at the club. 

They also maybe feel that gilmour is ready to step up and he could be our Ali replacement. 

Virtually impossible for saints to do contracts with players so late in the day so suspect loans with the intention of players possibly moving at the end are there. 

Not happy at the two out but have faith in Callum and the club. 

Good morning all but there is f*** all good about it. Sold 2 of our best players and brought in loanees. Scrooge will now put the money into the piggy bank and we may see some of it come out for new contracts to keep existing players,

Big worries. will we survive in the Premiership this season and what do we have left for next season when the loanees goo back and Clark McCart Rooney etc do not sign new contracts. Many of them will also be worried about survival and will wait to the end of the season before or IF resigning

It was a black night

Saints Chairman, Steve Brown, said: "We tried very hard to resist all of the bids for Ali.
"But Preston's offer is a huge sum and one we couldn't turn down. In time, it is likely to become the club's record transfer fee received. 

"In all situations, we also have to take the wishes of the player into account and Ali told us he wanted to play in England.

"Reluctantly, we have allowed Ali to move to Preston and we wish him all the very best as he has been a great player for the Football Club and a first-class individual."

Its hard to know how much Ali`s wishes to play in England swung the clubs choice but it did look like he was saying farewell to the fans after the LASK game.Like everyone pretty gutted as thought the club were holding out for a much bigger fee.Are players at St.Johnstone not allowed to be worth more

Edited by saintee in exile

55 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I think you need to chill. No not happy that McCann is away but the player and his agent have obviously expressed a desire to leave and why would you keep an unhappy player at the club. 

They also maybe feel that gilmour is ready to step up and he could be our Ali replacement. 

Virtually impossible for saints to do contracts with players so late in the day so suspect loans with the intention of players possibly moving at the end are there. 

Not happy at the two out but have faith in Callum and the club. 

Late in the day, they have had all summer to plan this not yesterday at the last minute, they knew they had saleable assets I think it called contingency planning, not making it up as they go along! Suppose shouldn't be surprised when you have the business accumen of roddy on the board 

36 minutes ago, rickardo said:

You have faith with the “club” after a kick in the baws like that ? Unbelievable.

Agreed. This is beyond a wee bit of forum moaning.

Selling your club captain and star player for utter pennies is unforgivable. Especially when you appear to have no plan to replace either. Omnishambles!!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

34 minutes ago, rickardo said:

You have faith with the “club” after a kick in the baws like that ? Unbelievable.

34 minutes ago, rickardo said:

I don't know why they Sold Ali and didn't hold out for another season but can only think that it was down to the player and what he wanted. We are not daft we have all known that players would be sold eventually it's jus a shock to see 2 go at once. 

As for replacements hopefully they are using them in the same way as we did with brown. Get them in on loan then sign them. 

Look at the some of the loan deals bigger clubs that saints have been involved in. 

23 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I don't know why they Sold Ali and didn't hold out for another season but can only think that it was down to the player and what he wanted. We are not daft we have all known that players would be sold eventually it's jus a shock to see 2 go at once. 

As for replacements hopefully they are using them in the same way as we did with brown. Get them in on loan then sign them. 

Look at the some of the loan deals bigger clubs that saints have been involved in. 

We knew players would be sold but it doesn’t matter what angle you come from, this is bad business. Journalists, players, chairmen, supporters will all wake up to that news an raise and eyebrow. It’s terrible! You just don’t sell your double winning captain who is on the verge of a Scotland cap and your most talented young regular full international player who is tied down to a contract for that sort of money. It’s appalling!!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Yep the more it sinks in the worse it looks.No one grudges playing moving on to better things but at least get fair value for them.This has totally killed stone dead all the momentum build up over the last year.How much is that going to cost?

Edited by saintee in exile

Was so close to buying a Season ticket, thought I'd hold off until today. No chance now.

My poor dad bought his yesterday.

Good to know how little the club think of us - total highs to gut-wrenching lows in one night.

Can't see me bothering to drive down n the A9 again this season.

F*CK you Brown.

What makes this worse is the impact it will have on others. I can only hope we offer Gordon the captaincy to sign a new contract, McCart will be signing a precontract with Hibs for free come January.

Huge couple of transfer windows coming up and absolutely sucked the life out of the fans. It's going to be a tough season.