Saints v Ayr 23rd July

Shibbydoo

Oh boy ,,,, none of these teams are going to win it so relax we have created history so move on its all about the league this year re establishing our presence and getting back on course...

StJohnstone have given us an amazing length of time in the top league enjoy embrace and support

24 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Maybe I'm still not getting this, but Livingston, Hamilton and Kilmarnock all have 9 or more, so how does QOS (or a better saintees) get there? 

Hamilton had just conceded when I posted - they won the bonus point and finished on 8 points. Dunfermline didn’t win the bonus point either, so Queen of the South are heading through if Raith pick up anything less than 2 points tomorrow. 

Broken record and stating the obvious, but this team and coaching staff have managed to screw it up again.

The requirement before the game started was to ensure we finished 2nd to give ourselves any chance of progressing whatsoever. We needed a win and to score more goals than QOS, should they win, which they did. We didn’t achieve that, as we’ve failed to achieve any real objective this whole competition - again against another lower division side.

I absolutely refuse to believe that we didn’t have players out there who are better, man for man, than those than. with all due respect, Ayr United.

A total disgrace. Tactically and motivationally, this manager is hopeless and clueless. Why is he still being allowed to take the team backwards in this Groundhog Day fashion?

Get. Shot. Of. Him. Now.

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Hamilton had just conceded when I posted - they won the bonus point and finished on 8 points. Dunfermline didn’t win the bonus point either, so Queen of the South are heading through if Raith pick up anything less than 2 points tomorrow. 

Saw that now. Tks

Well that sucks, ended up right on the cusp. 

5 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Saw that now. Tks

Well that sucks, ended up right on the cusp. 

Treating the second half like a friendly didn’t help one bit. Another two goals would’ve seen us through but we didn’t even work their keeper once. The one and done attitude is absolutely shameful 

16 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Treating the second half like a friendly didn’t help one bit. Another two goals would’ve seen us through but we didn’t even work their keeper once. The one and done attitude is absolutely shameful 

Negative attitude from Davidson as usual. We needed goals to proceed in cup. We go a goal up in 2 mins . First half wasn't bad and should have scored from Wright's crosses and Carey's corners but we don't have a striker or a centre back that can score from corners. May is finished. I am sure he runs away from the ball instead of towards it. He has no pace or possessional sense.

The young guy did more in the first 5 mins he was on than May did the whole first half.

Second half , we knew we needed goals but we persisted with this pass across and back possession football.

I hope Wright was just being eased back in and wasn't subbed because he was too offensive.

Mikey was Mikey ,running into brick walls all day.

Second half was very poor. We simply took our foot off the gas and Davidson for some reason decided it was a pre-season friendly. The biggest head scratcher for me was putting Murray Davidson on behind the striker!?

Young striker coming on shows how short we are up top.

Once again the deeper midfielder is left with a hell of a job on their hands as it looks like Hallberg is told to position himself wider. MacPherson had a good game today (against limited opposition) but whether it's the 2 in the middle or the 3, surely CD can see giving the deeper midfielder someone closer to keep possesion with/help protect the defence is a good idea.

Quite a few boos at full-time. Parish didn't seem amused with it, but surely he must see the missed opportunity today. It wasn't just about winning- it was also about fighting to try to stay in the cup. There was little fight on show, after a decent first half.

I've seen a few people saying how good we were in the first half and I'm now feeling a bit confused as I thought we were pretty rubbish in both halves in all honesty.

Everything just feels like a massive struggle. We're slow to attack, with no movement and no energy, and every time we try to build a move it just ends up working its way back to our defence. Couple that with how vulnerable our defence looks and I'm even more convinced we're in deep trouble. We can now add Ayr to the list of lower league clubs that have carved us wide open in these games and only their poor finishing has saved us. That said, I thought Ayr looked a decent side and their number four was particularly impressive - he won everything that came his way and was constantly organising their defence. They'll be kicking themselves that they lost that early goal, as otherwise they were pretty much matching us.

What is actually going on with MOH these days? I was watching him quite closely when he came on and he just looked completely disinterested. He wasn't making runs when he should, he often knocked the ball back as soon as it came to him, and there were a couple of times the play was breaking forward and he looked like he wasn't even watching. Is he carrying an injury, or just completely fed up with being a sub/played out of position, or is something else going on there?

Just to come up with a few positives, Taylor Steven looks promising and I'd actually be tempted to start him against Hibs. Drey Wright looked up for it and definitely seems like our best option at RWB. I'm struggling to think of much else. Our socks still look nice.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Negative attitude from Davidson as usual. We needed goals to proceed in cup. We go a goal up in 2 mins . First half wasn't bad and should have scored from Wright's crosses and Carey's corners but we don't have a striker or a centre back that can score from corners. May is finished. I am sure he runs away from the ball instead of towards it. He has no pace or possessional sense.

The young guy did more in the first 5 mins he was on than May did the whole first half.

Second half , we knew we needed goals but we persisted with this pass across and back possession football.

I hope Wright was just being eased back in and wasn't subbed because he was too offensive.

Mikey was Mikey ,running into brick walls all day.

You can only hope they had no idea what was happening elsewhere (still unforgiveable), rather than knowing and still having them playing like that. 

Imagine they are just easing Wright back in though.  

McPherson had a decent game as holding midfielder. Tends try to dribble out of defence and get caught in possession occasionally and tends to go in with studs showing in a tackle.

There didn't seem to be any shape today. Carey and Murphy seemed to be st the same side of field at times.

A few bald patches on the pitch. Don't know why they don't patch them. What are the funny strips running the length of the park ?.

Still fuming that we didn't go for s 3 goal win and see where it took us. May have got a big money game . We need it the way Davidson is spunking money.

20 minutes ago, Cagey said:

McPherson had a decent game as holding midfielder. Tends try to dribble out of defence and get caught in possession occasionally and tends to go in with studs showing in a tackle.

There didn't seem to be any shape today. Carey and Murphy seemed to be st the same side of field at times.

Agree about MacPherson, feel he could get caught out against better opposition, but I’m still not against him trying things like that now and again. His diagonals were decent too. The tackles are a worry though. There was one in the first half that made me wince. 

As for Carey and Murphy, I don’t mind them being fluid. Felt last season us being too rigid was a big reason we struggled in attack. Do feel at times though with the type of player Hallberg is, he took a lot out of our wide players. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Agree about MacPherson, feel he could get caught out against better opposition, but I’m still not against him trying things like that now and again. His diagonals were decent too. The tackles are a worry though. There was one in the first half that made me wince. 

Hes just Ross Callachan, but with more sideways passing and less chance of scoring.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Hes just Ross Callachan, but with more sideways passing and less chance of scoring.

The way Callaghan came on after Saints I wouldn't mind if he was a Ross Calleghan tribute act. 

50 minutes ago, Cagey said:

McPherson had a decent game as holding midfielder. Tends try to dribble out of defence and get caught in possession occasionally and tends to go in with studs showing in a tackle.T.

A few bald patches on the pitch. Don't know why they don't patch them. What are the funny strips running the length of the park ?.

Still fuming that we didn't go for s 3 goal win and see where it took us. May have got a big money game . We need it the way Davidson is spunking money.

Thought McPherson was good and have always thought he was a decent prospect. Still young but will hopefully get even better as he gets more games. 

Believe there was a burst sprinkler according to what I heard that was the reason for the single bald patch in the centre circle. Park did look in better condition than it was at the last game. But not sure what it looked like from the east stand. 

Sitting behind the dugouts i can assure you Davidson spent most of the second half roaring at them to get going forward and to play it forward quicker. That is the biggest worry if players on the pitch are not listening to the management team. 

@cagey I am sure it wont be anything for you to worry about but Kenny Miller was in the stand and said at half time he was looking for a job. Not sure if he meant in management or as our new striker :laugh:

Such a different team/ squad from the team that won the two cups. The club is undoubtedly going through a huge period of change and they all seem to still be learning to play together. The mess that was last season coupled with more exits has lead to some really good signings being required early on and that's just not happened. Saints are going to be trying to catch up all the way to December. The striking and goalkeeper options going into the first league game of the season is worrying to say the least.

8 minutes ago, mainstand said:

The way Callaghan came on after Saints I wouldn't mind if he was a Ross Calleghan tribute act. 

I think both have obvious strengths and obvious weaknesses, unlike an Ali McCann who can do everything.

MacPherson will look good when we play to his strengths and poor when we dont. If we get a good midfield around him and a good role for him he could develop nicely, if we dont he'll leave us looking like a failure.