Open Meeting 13/2/23

rik2304

1 hour ago, Dooj said:

According to Wikipedia (so who knows if its true or not), Saints is already 'minority' fan owned:

The St Johnstone Supporters' Club held a 0.48% shareholding, as of September 2020.

Interesting that even though Geoff wants to essentially give the club away, he has chosen to (hopefully) sell the club then donate the profits, rather than just place the club in the hands of a trust or whatever. Benign dictatorship the better model of how to run a football club, compared to fan-led democracy?

I think that is Barossa St, they are a shareholder. 

How much is the club worth, do we know an asking price, I ve seen various rumours of x million but genuinely no idea what it would take to buy the club.

As fans, could we even come close to selling enough shares to buy it, again no idea.

What I do know is I d happily buy shares in the club if the opportunity arose, obviously depending on price but if for example they were in £1000 blocks, I would be interested in investing maybe 2k. I think many others would as well, the big question though is there anywhere near enough of us.

What I d love to see is Geoff selling maybe 80% of the club to someone and giving smaller investors ie us the fans the chance to buy small stakes and own the 20% between us.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

The fans need respresented on the board, with enough influence/power to veto any attempt at asset stripping. 

I dont know the best way that happens though.

I agree, but it doesn't appear we have any 'vehicle' to get us there. The key surely is we need to have a structured supporters club? I think many of us think the same, especially with club being marketed for sale.

I'm impartial also to fan ownership, to me its more about the voice and have fan representation at the board level as you say.

17 hours ago, Strawman said:

How much is the club worth, do we know an asking price, I ve seen various rumours of x million but genuinely no idea what it would take to buy the club.

As fans, could we even come close to selling enough shares to buy it, again no idea.

What I do know is I d happily buy shares in the club if the opportunity arose, obviously depending on price but if for example they were in £1000 blocks, I would be interested in investing maybe 2k. I think many others would as well, the big question though is there anywhere near enough of us.

What I d love to see is Geoff selling maybe 80% of the club to someone and giving smaller investors ie us the fans the chance to buy small stakes and own the 20% between us.

brown only owns about 80%

we have fans on the board

we have fans running the club from the reception to the bar

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

But what we don't have on the board is a fans' representative, which is something very different.

Understand and agree with the sentiment of having a fans' rep. The SLO has a good handle on the mood on the street and feeds into all levels of the club, so it's not like we don't have anything. The board is tiny, I think just four persons. The Open Meeting and a steering group is a good idea, but I still think Saints in The Community is the correct way for fans to get involved and support the club.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

But what we don't have on the board is a fans' representative, which is something very different.

This is what we need for the future which may bring unknowns and risk, something tangible. I agree with Spazz that the club is filled with people who love and support the club, which has proven a great formula for long term stability. New owners could be great, but also could bring risks with any big change like this.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:49 PM, pezza70 said:

I emailed the club and asked is there a link for supporters to dial in and observe but had no reply as yet, fingers crossed they set something up.

Beverly just responded

With regard to your query, we have received a similar enquiry to yours from another supporter.  I understand that the inaugural meeting will be an in-person event, but that there may be opportunities at future meetings for our diaspora to take part or contribute in some way.  This initiative will be supporter led and will evolve organically.  Please keep an eye on our website and social media channels for any updates. 

Probably lucky for the club it's been a quiet week or so probably meaning quite a few fans will have calmed down a bit. Some may well have even forgotten about it as looks like they haven't mentioned it again since announcing it on the 2nd. There's certainly not been any promotion of it despite there been no game at the weekend to focus on. Who's representing the club? What's the format? I expect they won't need to plan for an overflow from a capacity Centenary Suite.

4 hours ago, Sergei said:

Probably lucky for the club it's been a quiet week or so probably meaning quite a few fans will have calmed down a bit. Some may well have even forgotten about it as looks like they haven't mentioned it again since announcing it on the 2nd. There's certainly not been any promotion of it despite there been no game at the weekend to focus on. Who's representing the club? What's the format? I expect they won't need to plan for an overflow from a capacity Centenary Suite.

There's football on the TV tonight as well, so cant imagine a big turn out for this.