Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

Guessing we're going to end up with somewhere between 12-15 departures this summer when you count them up:

• Matthews, Mitchell, Montgomery, Rudden and McLennan loans ending
  • Davidson retiring
  • Parish potentially retiring/stepping back too
  • MOH, Gilmour, Murphy and Vertainen likely to be released
  • Possible releases negotiated for Bair, Crawford, Gallacher?
  • That leaves Kane, Hallberg, Spoony and Brown who'll presumably be offered deals but can easily see only one or two of those four actually staying.

Macca might not get a huge budget but looks like there'll be plenty of scope there for him to bring in a few of his own players and start shaping the squad in the way he wants it. Even if he signs six or seven players, that'll still be a significantly smaller squad than what we've been running with.

I realize Theo didn't set the heather on fire but I think the true blame for the young lads situation is the person or persons who convinced saints to sign him. Also to blame are  the clowns at McD who signed him on whatever recommendation, the young lad has taken some stick so I hope he finds his soccer dream.

On a positive note, hopefully this all points towards Macca looking to bring in younger, more dynamic players over the summer. There wouldn't be much point in getting rid of Spoony if we were just going to bring in another 33-year-old in his place.

I thought we might have held on to Bobby Dailly for another year as he seemed promising, but I've no idea what his performances have been like on loan.

Fascinated to find out what the plan is for Crawford and Gallacher.

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

On a positive note, hopefully this all points towards Macca looking to bring in younger, more dynamic players over the summer. There wouldn't be much point in getting rid of Spoony if we were just going to bring in another 33-year-old in his place.

I thought we might have held on to Bobby Dailly for another year as he seemed promising, but I've no idea what his performances have been like on loan.

Fascinated to find out what the plan is for Crawford and Gallacher.

We've barely seen Gallacher but I'd have Crawford selling pies until his contract runs down.

If even his best mate doesn't want him permanently we're knackered.

Sad we couldn't find a way to offer Wotherspoon a deal. If it is so the young lads get an opportunity then for the longer term set up I can understand it and I suppose that's football nowadays when you get to that age with a long-term injury in the recent past.

If we now go away and sign some over thirty jobber I'll be really, really miffed!

Brown is worth another contract. He might not be the best going forward, but he does give his best and I would imagine for the wage he's on he's a good option. Yes you can improve on the position but I'd prefer they spend that cash elsewhere in the team.

Would like to see Hallberg stay, but don't see the need to push the boat out in terms of wages etc to get him to stay on.

Montgomery and Mitchell coming back would be good. Though I would be surprised to see Mitchell come back if Millwall think he's got a future with them.....perhaps more likely if they think he's not getting an extended deal, like Brown a few years back.

Will be interesting to see who may come in given MacLean has only been in charge a short while and I wouldn't have thought he'd have the same contacts as Davidson.

10 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Sad we couldn't find a way to offer Wotherspoon a deal. If it is so the young lads get an opportunity then for the longer term set up I can understand it and I suppose that's football nowadays when you get to that age with a long-term injury in the recent past.

If we now go away and sign some over thirty jobber I'll be really, really miffed!

Brown is worth another contract. He might not be the best going forward, but he does give his best and I would imagine for the wage he's on he's a good option. Yes you can improve on the position but I'd prefer they spend that cash elsewhere in the team.

Would like to see Hallberg stay, but don't see the need to push the boat out in terms of wages etc to get him to stay on.

Montgomery and Mitchell coming back would be good. Though I would be surprised to see Mitchell come back if Millwall think he's got a future with them.....perhaps more likely if they think he's not getting an extended deal, like Brown a few years back.

Will be interesting to see who may come in given MacLean has only been in charge a short while and I wouldn't have thought he'd have the same contacts as Davidson.

Let's hope he has much better contacts or at least knows how to use them better.

Davidson's contacts were.......errrr.....Millwall???

Edited by Shibbydoo

41 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Hopefully ,he has his own contacts.

1 hour ago, Havana Saint said:

Who on earth is going to sign Bair!?

I'd guess he'll try to get a move back to Canada or America. If he hasn't been sold by the tail end of the window I can see the club negotiating a release deal with him so he can walk away for free, as there's very little point in him sitting around in Scotland, miles away from his family, not even getting on the bench for Saints. Really can only feel sorry for the guy.

It's completely obvious he was never going to fit into Scottish football. Had anyone at Saints even watched him play? I know people will say he was a Grieve signing but Davidson was the manager who must have given this the nod and ultimately the buck stops with him. He was given a bloody good budget that he completely wasted, and as a result of those decisions we're now seeing guys like Spoony being released. I'm just relieved he's not getting yet another transfer window to make things even worse.

11 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'd guess he'll try to get a move back to Canada or America. If he hasn't been sold by the tail end of the window I can see the club negotiating a release deal with him so he can walk away for free, as there's very little point in him sitting around in Scotland, miles away from his family, not even getting on the bench for Saints. Really can only feel sorry for the guy.

It's completely obvious he was never going to fit into Scottish football. Had anyone at Saints even watched him play? I know people will say he was a Grieve signing but Davidson was the manager who must have given this the nod and ultimately the buck stops with him. He was given a bloody good budget that he completely wasted, and as a result of those decisions we're now seeing guys like Spoony being released. I'm just relieved he's not getting yet another transfer window to make things even worse.

It was confirmed by Gus MacPherson at the last Open Night that Davidson had the final say on all transfers.

What if I told you that Bair had the 2nd most assists last season. And that Crawford was joint 3rd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone/top-scorers/assists

I wouldn't say Bair was a bad signing just because it's not worked out for him. Young players are always a risk and there is a potential the club clearly see there. I suspect a side in England League Two, or National League, will see him as a rough diamond who needs a run of first team football. There will be clubs looking for players who have potential but not the chance to have shown it fully and Bair might appeal to them. Who knows what a change of scene might do for him.

Crawford has always been a curious one for me. He seems to work well as a super-sub, coming on and making things happen, but then rarely delivers when playing the whole game. I'm not sure why that is, but 2 goals and 2 assists in the amount of game time he's had isn't a bad return. Highest goals per game (excluding Kane's 2 cameos) and the player who hits the target most often (of players with 5 or more shots). For a much maligned player his stats for the season are actually quite good given his limited playing time. I do wonder if a change in formation might suit his game and we might see a more consistent player next season.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned Crawford's stats, they're objectively very good. The issue is that those stats are 95% of the overall game and the rest of his play is woeful. I suspect in a much better team, who can carry him as deadweight in defence he'd be a decent player, but his lack of work ethic backwards, powderpuff tackling and general lethargy when he plays will never endear him to saints fans, as we're a club that traditionally only highlight his failings. I don't actually think it's his fault, it's very much the manager who signed him, but we are where we are.