Saints manager: who's next?

blueheaven

4 hours ago, Benjo said:

Eetu would get a game. 

Jack Ross is interim academy director at Newcastle so would likely be available. 

Tam Courts' style of football at United was as eye bleeding as this season has been. I'm not sure he's that great. 

I'm struggling to pin down who I'd like to get the job just now, but it's early days!

The more I think about it, the more I think we should just bite the bullet and get Tommy in now so he can hit the ground running and start assessing the squad for next season. I think it's the least risky option and he ticks more boxes than any other candidate I can think of. We could probably get him started in time for the Hibs game and it would transform the mood around the club for that game.

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

The more I think about it, the more I think we should just bite the bullet and get Tommy in now so he can hit the ground running and start assessing the squad for next season. I think it's the least risky option and he ticks more boxes than any other candidate I can think of. We could probably get him started in time for the Hibs game and it would transform the mood around the club for that game.

I think if he was back the mood amongst the supporters at the home games might also give the place a morale boost too.

I really believe we missed the boat by not going after Jody Morris, I understand the logic that CD won the double the previous year, but I think if he had gone after the Kelty fiasco we wouldn’t be where we are right now and that’s free falling back to the championship 

39 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

I think if he was back the mood amongst the supporters at the home games might also give the place a morale boost too.

This is it for me. Good chance it could dissipate quickly but the buzz it’d give for Saturday, or whenever his first home game would be, could be huge. Bit cheesy, but if marketed correctly (and providing we’re safe) the final home game of the season would be the chance to say goodbye that we never got due to covid. With six games left, I don’t think it’d be a case of tarnishing his legacy if we ended up relegated, although can understand why people would think that. 

44 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

I really believe we missed the boat by not going after Jody Morris, I understand the logic that CD won the double the previous year, but I think if he had gone after the Kelty fiasco we wouldn’t be where we are right now and that’s free falling back to the championship 

Jody is not setting the heather on fire at Swindon so is it a case of very good assistant manager but not for top job?

20 hours ago, Linky said:

Honestly, I’m not going to hold my breath. My thinking is that a deal to sell the club is imminent and the new owners want to bring in their own man. That’s why Davidson leaving is mutual. He’d rather go now and not have relegation on his CV than be sacked when the new owners take over. Probably part of the deal with the new owners is that no one is appointed now, so that they can appoint whomever they want come the summer.

Having said this, the name I’ve seen that’s most interesting is Courts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65301701

I would be surprised if there was a permanent appointment before the new owners were in place.

Tommy Wright would seem the logical choice to come back until the end of the season, but unsure what his relationship is like with the Browns.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I know that the Browns are close with Craig Levein so he is a possibility to come in on a temporary basis. 

Longer term much will depend on what the new owners strategy for the club. I think that the blueprint set out by Geoff Brown when recruiting Coyle, McInnes and Lomas is still relevant. He stated that he looked for managers who had contacts both in Scotland and England, an understanding of the Scottish leagues and someone who was ambitious and would use Saints as a stepping stone for a bigger club. 

3 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

I would be surprised if there was a permanent appointment before the new owners were in place.

Tommy Wright would seem the logical choice to come back until the end of the season, but unsure what his relationship is like with the Browns.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I know that the Browns are close with Craig Levein so he is a possibility to come in on a temporary basis. 

Longer term much will depend on what the new owners strategy for the club. I think that the blueprint set out by Geoff Brown when recruiting Coyle, McInnes and Lomas is still relevant. He stated that he looked for managers who had contacts both in Scotland and England, an understanding of the Scottish leagues and someone who was ambitious and would use Saints as a stepping stone for a bigger club. 

Craig Levein . 5-4-1-0.

21 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Was thinking Coyle.