New Owners

Shibbydoo

"Brown has previously admitted that the vast amounts of prime site land has proved to be problematic"   "For any deal to be completed legal guarantees would be put in place"  - Good to know. 

"Saints will be provided with proof of funding that underpins that underpins the bid and the future running of the club"  - Good to know. 

"The prospective buyer assessed the landscape in leagues across England and Europe" - It would be good to know what his assessing the landscape entailed, and why. 

As others have said, I am grateful and reasonably relaxed that Geoff Brown is overseeing this.  Imagine our angst if, say, Flaherty was handling the process! 

I do wonder if they see the non-football side of the business, and the 6 acres of land where development where planning is already in place, as somewhere they can make money from. Presumably they'd take the full amount from whatever they do with the land, and then take some of the non-football stuff.

I dont see anyone wanting to own the club at the price quoted previously (£10m+) as a hobby really. Theres got to be some financial end goal in there.

I just hope they care enough about everything where its in their interest to grow the club and support as part of that  and they dont think its irrelevant how the club performs because theyll make money anyway.

Think ideally they make their plans open and clear from the start, regardless of what they are, and dont sell some bullshit line like Uniteds did. Some fairytale about finishing 3rd every year with homegrown youngster moving for millions.

I love Perth and the saints. All of my aunts and uncles are gone now but I remember being dragged through the town by my granny. Or waiting for my uncle in Wimpy using his luncheon Vouchers to pay!

The south inch could still host the club?

COYS

On 12/15/2023 at 8:35 AM, blueheaven said:

I have no idea if this is a thing in Scotland, but in England it's possible to have covenants put in place to protect land for sporting use. Is that not something our board should be looking into to protect McDiarmid Park under future owners?

Hypothetically, what happens if a buyer is never found? Who will ownership of the club pass to?

I think it is legally possible to add any adjunct to the agreement . But what a shame we left such a brilliant pitch at Muirton, Lucky supermarket you have to say.  Did it help us? Yes in Ormond's day if you weren't doing good in training it was 6 Lengths of the pitch! That got them fit, then later Sturrock had them at it no afternoons in the cherrybank they were training!

11 hours ago, Gekko said:

Maybe the reason for being interested in us is something to do with a Scottish family connection? "My Grandaddy was from Aberfeldy" type of thing.

But then they've apparently been looking at clubs in England and all over Europe, so I doubt that.

I think it's simply, as has been mentioned, an ego thing. Owning a soccer team in the UK. Plus we'll be less expensive than other options.

As long as they've got a bit of finance, a plan going forward and good intentions then I'll be happy enough.

Or even better, they're absolutely minted and we're going for the title. 👍😜

I presume they were found by that agency that was working for the club to find new buyers.

Americans are frighteningly good at extracting more value from sports than any other people in the world. And the pound is weak. Regulations lax. Foreign investment encouraged. And apparently we speak the same language as them, so it's an easy deal for them to do. 

But for Saints to be successful, you really need a league that's worth something. 

EPL turnover 5.5 billion - anyone know the t/o of the SPFL?

Edited by MySpazz

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Think ideally they make their plans open and clear from the start, regardless of what they are, and dont sell some bullshit line like Uniteds did. Some fairytale about finishing 3rd every year with homegrown youngster moving for millions.

That sort of talk might be taking things a bit far but in all honesty it would be nice if the new owners really did want to talk the club up a bit and try to excite people. Obviously no one wants to hear wild promises but a bit of ambition beyond telling everyone "we budget to finish 10th" and using every public interview to grumble about attendances could be really refreshing.

If you're right about them having plans for the surrounding land, it'll be really interesting to see how they'd use that. I know a hotel has been spoken about in the past, but I'm a bit sceptical about how much money could really be made from a hotel in that location. I do think more could be made of the actual sporting facilities (especially with the uncertainty hanging over the other sporting facilities in Perth), but not to the extent that it would start generating millions for anyone.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

That sort of talk might be taking things a bit far but in all honesty it would be nice if the new owners really did want to talk the club up a bit and try to excite people. Obviously no one wants to hear wild promises but a bit of ambition beyond telling everyone "we budget to finish 10th" and using every public interview to grumble about attendances could be really refreshing.

If you're right about them having plans for the surrounding land, it'll be really interesting to see how they'd use that. I know a hotel has been spoken about in the past, but I'm a bit sceptical about how much money could really be made from a hotel in that location. I do think more could be made of the actual sporting facilities (especially with the uncertainty hanging over the other sporting facilities in Perth), but not to the extent that it would start generating millions for anyone.

This is a huge area the club could make advancement in.

Gym facilities used by the first team that could also be rented out and profit made from them. Repeated income from renting out space to PTs and the like.

A hotel/self-service accomodation that would bound to be busy on match days and well used by people at weddings at the likes of Huntingtower.

Upgraded food and bar facilities for pre and post match. Tie in with local food and drink providers for pop-up events, gigs and the like.

There is a ton of potential there.

I know it was brought up as a joke but I genuinely think we should be open to doing things like sharing facilities with Jeanfield Swifts. I'd love to see the club put a small, basic stand with a couple of turnstiles up along the far side of the astroturf pitch and turn it into a mini stadium that could be used by the women's team and other local clubs if they needed it. If you look at the ground from above on Google Maps there's plenty of space there to do it.

2 hours ago, Stumpy1949 said:

I don’t think Jeanfield can get promoted to the premier in five years🤪

They could.

Year 1 - Promoted to Lowland League

Year 2 - Promoted to League Two

Year 3 - Promoted to League One

Year 4 - Promoted to Championship 

Year 5 - Promoted to Premiership 

4 hours ago, SlickDT said:

This is a huge area the club could make advancement in.

Gym facilities used by the first team that could also be rented out and profit made from them. Repeated income from renting out space to PTs and the like.

A hotel/self-service accomodation that would bound to be busy on match days and well used by people at weddings at the likes of Huntingtower.

Upgraded food and bar facilities for pre and post match. Tie in with local food and drink providers for pop-up events, gigs and the like.

There is a ton of potential there.

Is there not a gym at the college and a couple in the town.

I know Perth is a super fit City but ?

Is the Rodney r whatever it was called shut?.

I will say this, Americans know how to market their investments. But it will take time. I just hope they treat Saints with respect, as GB effectively put his heart and soul into the club and saved us from oblivion. 

I think appointing CL was good. He is experienced enough to deal with potential American owners. No offence to Macca, but he'd be lost. As for the land? I don't mind an acre or 2 being given up, whether it be a hotel, supermarket or whatever. But it would require major infrastructure works for access etc. 

I look forward to seeing the investment... Facilities, marketing etc. and pom-pom ladies pre match and half time. Bit of entertainment to wake up the West stand.....