Time for Levein to go

yahoorsir

34 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

And let's not forget who our first choice was (shudder). It's not even as if we had someone brilliant lined up before we went for Levein. It all really makes me wonder what on earth has happened to our once-enviable manager selection process. Was there even a process this time?

We are talking Geoff Brown here. This is why I  am behind Levein and hope he turns things around ( quick ).

Geoff Brown never bought a Mars Bar without researching where it's origins began. I think he looked in to this plenty and at the time of the appointment plenty people thought it was Coup.

We have went from a relatively stable position after he came on board to some poor results. We need to stay in the league and see where we are from there.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

And let's not forget who our first choice was (shudder). It's not even as if we had someone brilliant lined up before we went for Levein. It all really makes me wonder what on earth has happened to our once-enviable manager selection process. Was there even a process this time?

Think with everything going on behind the scenes, the massive churn of the squad (and lack of experience of this league bar a few players) completed and likely coming again this Summer, and the lack of structure that survives longer than managers, they had a pretty specific criteria.

- Experience of the league

- Experience running the football department of a club

- Experience building a squad

And even at this stage youre already low on potential candidates. 

Might be wrong but Martindale and Levein both tick all those boxes.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Think with everything going on behind the scenes, the massive churn of the squad (and lack of experience of this league bar a few players) completed and likely coming again this Summer, and the lack of structure that survives longer than managers, they had a pretty specific criteria.

- Experience of the league

- Experience running the football department of a club

- Experience building a squad

And even at this stage youre already low on potential candidates. 

Might be wrong but Martindale and Levein both tick all those boxes.

I agree that this is probably how their thinking went but personally, given the options that narrowed it down to, I would have changed some of the boxes.

5 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Will he learn from last night? That's the big question for me.

This weekend will tell, after the win, we have a chance to put some space between us and the bottom 2 and hopefully see Aberdeen under the pump even further.

10 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

This weekend will tell, after the win, we have a chance to put some space between us and the bottom 2 and hopefully see Aberdeen under the pump even further.

Exactly. This is a huge opportunity to put real pressure on Livingston in particular but the rest of the bottom 6 as well. And there were no real failures last night.

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Will he learn from last night? That's the big question for me.

This is it.

Davidson had a brief upturn after changing the shape, then went to a back 5 v Motherwell, thumped them, and returned back to normal thinking a point had been proved.

Levein hopefully doesnt make the same mistake. 

21 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

This is it.

Davidson had a brief upturn after changing the shape, then went to a back 5 v Motherwell, thumped them, and returned back to normal thinking a point had been proved.

Levein hopefully doesnt make the same mistake. 

From what I've heard leven wanted to play a back four but the defenders preferred a 5 but he gave them a chance hasn't worked so hopefully he'll stick with the 4

On 2/26/2024 at 9:45 AM, RandomGuy said:

our wage bill last year was over £4.5m.

Based on previous figures that would have us closer to Hibs than Livingston.

FWIW, looks like i was slavering shite again.

Livingston and Countys missing, but nareystoepoker in twitter looked through all clubs accounts and created this.

Our was bill higher than St Mirren and Kilmarnock, but below Motherwell and Dundee United. Suspect Livingston would be below us too but who knows abour County.

GHlulxsXAAAm1hg.jpeg.ca0807dc6e5accbc6f43bc0a224fe8ae.jpeg

https://x.com/Nareystoepoker/status/1763562450035618276?s=20

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

FWIW, looks like i was slavering shite again.

Livingston and Countys missing, but nareystoepoker in twitter looked through all clubs accounts and created this.

Our was bill higher than St Mirren and Kilmarnock, but below Motherwell and Dundee United. Suspect Livingston would be below us too but who knows abour County.

GHlulxsXAAAm1hg.jpeg.ca0807dc6e5accbc6f43bc0a224fe8ae.jpeg

https://x.com/Nareystoepoker/status/1763562450035618276?s=20

Saints the only team with negative transfer income ? Sounds about right going by the shambles that was last season.

4 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

Has Levein got a job out East? Or perhaps I’ve just seen his double at Taipei airport! 

Maybe taking a well deserved holiday.

Probably the squad also given a week off in order to come back in tip top condition like after the winter break 😛.

• 3 weeks later...

Grandad says wee max and Connor Smith have recovered from the Huff they took, other managers are talking about cruciates pulled muscles etc oors talks about the Huff I guess that's a good thing easier to fix🙄

Edited by john.w

1 hour ago, john.w said:

Grandad says wee max and Connor Smith have recovered from the Huff they took, other managers are talking about cruciates pulled muscles etc oors talks about the Huff I guess that's a good thing easier to fix🙄

Pretty grim that any player in a team that's in the position we are in should feel they have the luxury of taking "a huff".  Toddlers in adult's bodies.  If I allowed a bad attitude (aka "the huff") to be seen by my employer if we were under pressure to deliver, I wouldn't last too long - sure others are in the same boat.

Frankly, I'd rather we punted the both of them (one is a lightweight currently being found out in this league, and the other was an overhype not exactly setting the heather alight) and brought in a couple of guys who actually show a bit of character - since "character" is exactly what this team is missing right now.   There should be no place for overgrown children.

Don't want to give 100%?  There's the door.

1 hour ago, john.w said:

What on earth is Levein thinking, making that sort of comment in the public domain? All it's going to do is put the fans on these two players' backs and put even more pressure on them. Surely if players are "going in the huff" then that should be kept in-house?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

What on earth is Levein thinking, making that sort of comment in the public domain? All it's going to do is put the fans on these two players' backs and put even more pressure on them. Surely if players are "going in the huff" then that should be kept in-house?

Maybe he's laying the foundations to wash his hands of the whole situation if/when we're relegated.

8 hours ago, dave mc said:

I read it as he was pleased by their reaction to them not being happy at not starting at Dundee, not sure naming them was the best idea though 

I think part of that was the interview with Connor earlier in the week when he said stuff about his performance at Dens. Presumably Eric was just following it up with Levein.

Craig Levein has a strange interview style,  I think most of them are done very tongue in cheek and I think he thinks hes quite funny.

He clearly likes both of these players and in his head, him taking the piss out of them like that by claiming they are in the huff with him is supposed to show that.

Once the quote is written down though it just looks strange. 

The problem is when your in a position like we are, fans want him to be serious, theres a time for managers trying to be funny but when youve a team struggling to score a goal, it just doesnt work.  

21 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

I might be proved long but I don't see either Kirk or Levein here long term. Relegation and they are out the door and a new owner will want their own people in.

Relegation might not be too bad then if we get rid of them.

The other pluses , No VAR ,No winter breaks , No International breaks and Friday night football. What's not to like.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Relegation might not be too bad then if we get rid of them.

The other pluses , No VAR ,No winter breaks , No International breaks and Friday night football. What's not to like.

I would cite the further demise of our club as we become a Scottish football also-ran akin to Hamilton, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Inverness, Partick Thistle, Greenock Morton, Falkirk…

Dundee United have spent an absolute fortune and look perilously close to languishing in the lower leagues for another season.