Lomas Tenure Up?

St Mikey

I will always be 100% behind the team. I won't blindly support a manager who looks to be taking the team in the wrong direction. I hope I am proved wrong and we rocket up the league,but I have seen little by Lomas to justify an enduring faith. I was pleased by his appointment and felt he had good credentials. A successful football manager is driven by results. He is failing my club.

we are probably the smallest team in the league , are we over or under achieving St mikey ?

Bullshite. Ross County are the smallest team in the league.

If we get relegated then is that acceptable to you? Certainly not to the rest of us. Our budget will be way more than County's, Dundees and perhaps St Mirren and Inverness.

Bullshite. Ross County are the smallest team in the league.

If we get relegated then is that acceptable to you? Certainly not to the rest of us. Our budget will be way more than County's, Dundees and perhaps St Mirren and Inverness.

I'll go stand in a grow bag then if you get your head out the sand.

Can someone reminf me how many points we have still to play for? Are we 3 behind with only one game of the season left??

I think we need to calm down as I an sure at this time last season and maybe even the season before we had the same stuff about the manager and relegation blah blah blah.

Can someone reminf me how many points we have still to play for? Are we 3 behind with only one game of the season left??

I think we need to calm down as I an sure at this time last season and maybe even the season before we had the same stuff about the manager and relegation blah blah blah.

It's about more than just the start to this season, they haven't shaken off the very poor end to last season. Lomas might be content to ignore the run but it's there and it stands. Is the form good enough to beat Celtic? Then how about Ross County away, that's by no means a banker. Before we know it we are really struggling. And while the season will not be a right off its not where we want to be scrapping. Look at the platform Lomas was given initially. How many managers get that kind of opportunity? He has taken us from 4th to rock bottom.

Said it before but I'll judge the manager on what he does with this squad this season. We've played five league matches and have played well in part in four of the matches, as I'm sure folk at them would testify. If we'd had five performances like that seen against Aberdeen then I'd be far more concerned but we should have won yesterday, should have beaten Motherwell and were unlucky at Easter Road last week. Even on the opening day, we had good chances with ten men in the second half before they scored late on. Over a period as short as five games though, these things can go against you, they tend not to over a full season. Worth remembering again that Dundee United were near the foot of the table at the end of October last season and they didn't end up having too bad a season. Nothing is decided at the end of August, luckily for us as we've been right down this end of the table in all three seasons in the SPL prior to this one. It was October, was it not, before we won a match in our first season up.

It's about more than just the start to this season, they haven't shaken off the very poor end to last season. Lomas might be content to ignore the run but it's there and it stands. Is the form good enough to beat Celtic? Then how about Ross County away, that's by no means a banker. Before we know it we are really struggling. And while the season will not be a right off its not where we want to be scrapping. Look at the platform Lomas was given initially. How many managers get that kind of opportunity? He has taken us from 4th to rock bottom.

I'm pretty sure if we look back to posts at the start of last season there were the same mutterings i.e. we hadn't fixed the problems from our "St Johnstone Nil" season and Del should go. It took us 4 games to score a goal and we got beat by the Pars at home in the 3rd game. I don't think we got going till we beat Motherwell in mid September. Yeah the end of last season was crap and we've hardly got off to a flier this season but it's very much the pattern for Saints it would seem.

Manager seems to have made some changes in his tactics, his approach during games and his attitude in interviews. If we're near the bottom around November it would perhaps be time to make some changes but the team seem to be playing fairly well so I'd give it time.

The previous manager had a track record that meant he warranted backing if it got tough. There has been very little that is positive about Lomas's time with the club.He's had enough time to highlight that he gets the fundamentals right. Imo he does not.

A track record built up at a lower level over a number of years though. In his first season in charge, we ended up further away from Hamilton and Dundee by the end of the season than when he took over, with him winning just two of our final eight matches that season, defeats including a memorable 3-1 loss at Stirling Albion. Five defeats from seven against First Division opposition at the start of the next season too, so where was the track record that merited the board sticking by him at that point? Lomas is at the same stage as McInnes was, almost exactly, with us heading into an international break. That allowed McInnes a couple of weeks to work on things with his new squad and we didn't really look back under him. Clearly there is no guarantee whatsoever that Lomas will do the same and the first game after the split looks hard but after that we have the five teams that most folk would probably agree are our equals financially in the league. That is when Lomas will need to deliver results. If we're in trouble after the Inverness game, then that would be a fairer time to start judging him IMO.

The whole package that you got with McInnes meant he was worth backing. Lomas inspires no confidence. His interviews are basically the same each week. I don't want the club to have to sack him in November when who knows where we will be in the league. Make a move now before it gets too late. One fun golf day doesn't make a good manager. I've no doubt he's a lovely guy and can probably talk a good game but I want to kick on from last year. See progress. What should have been achieved given his starting position?

Edited by rik2304

The whole package that you got with McInnes meant he was worth backing. Lomas inspires no confidence. His interviews are basically the same each week. I don't want the club to have to sack him in November when who knows where we will be in the league. Make a move now before it gets too late. One fun golf day doesn't make a good manager. I've no doubt he's a lovely guy and can probably talk a good game but I want to kick on from last year. See progress. What should have been achieved given his starting position?

I think it's being incredibly ambitious to talk about kicking on from last year etc... as a requirement when, like it or not, we did over achieve on the budget we have. That doesn't mean we can't do it again but if we want to finish consistently in the top six (or higher if you are talking about kicking on) then we need to spend at that level, which we won't be doing. Like I say, with our squad, I don't think that it's beyond us to make the top six (or better) again but that's not decided at the end of August, especially with the fixtures we've had. I actually don't think anything will be out of reach in November, so don't see that as being too late at all if Lomas, at that stage, doesn't look like he's going to push us towards that and the board do feel that should be what he's achieving.

IF Lomas is to be sacked for losing 3out of 5 league matches with the present squad,why does the new guy need 31 games to save us from relegation now that we are "adrift at the bottom of the league"...? Once we have played all the teams if we still dont look like progressing then lets see who is available to us that could transform our squad.

IF Lomas is to be sacked for losing 3out of 5 league matches with the present squad,why does the new guy need 31 games to save us from relegation now that we are "adrift at the bottom of the league"...? Once we have played all the teams if we still dont look like progressing then lets see who is available to us that could transform our squad.

Hope not could be to little to late by then

I think it's being incredibly ambitious to talk about kicking on from last year etc... as a requirement when, like it or not, we did over achieve on the budget we have. That doesn't mean we can't do it again but if we want to finish consistently in the top six (or higher if you are talking about kicking on) then we need to spend at that level, which we won't be doing. Like I say, with our squad, I don't think that it's beyond us to make the top six (or better) again but that's not decided at the end of August, especially with the fixtures we've had. I actually don't think anything will be out of reach in November, so don't see that as being too late at all if Lomas, at that stage, doesn't look like he's going to push us towards that and the board do feel that should be what he's achieving.

Nothing wrong with a spot of ambition, that's what I presume attracted Lomas in the first place.

Now I am happy to accept that we are not a big club, and I will agree that we have probably over achieved under previous managers.

But I'm sure that Lomas has seen what has happened to the careers of recent managers and thought that he can do similar. Likewise we have seen that the right manager can get Saints to over achieve. So how did Lomas sell himself? I've got the credentials and the contacts to bring this team on, keep them in the top half and hit a few good cup runs. Then teams will see what I can get a wee team to do and after 18 months I'll be heading for Brighton or Sheffield UTD and next stop the Premier League. Or did he think, "That team are really over stretching themselves and should be happy just comfortably sitting in the bottom half. I will get that sustained and Chelsea are bound to come calling." For his own progression he needs to equal or better Del. He is failing his own standards.

I will admit that when I said we are adrift it's maybe a bit too strong. But I'm convinced we have a dogfight coming under Lomas. Nobody will be happier if I'm proved wrong.

spot on .

This may well be off topic and if so I apologise but it should be remembered our worst performances in the last 5 years have all been under Del Especially Motherwell semi!!!

But Del at least managed to win quite a few games between bad performances. Not impressed by Lomas' recent additions to squad or by sending out May on loan. On top of the "rumours", for me jacket peg shoogly.

Edited by That Bar Toilet Attendant