Saints' Marketing Strikes Again...

Jamie_Beatson

Excellent rapport there Big Boy - and good work

I see You (well not you personally) have a 6,000 core of Students at Perth College and wonder if its worthwhile YOU carrying out a snall Census amongst them with regards to -

Do they know about deals at McD and have they ever considered going along

What price WOULD encourage them to go along to HOME games.

We seem to have an institution (Th e College) that COULD be tapped into and perhaps encourage a couple of thousand of them to perhaps come along on a HOME game and swell the 2000 + souls that go most of the time .

Over to YOU Big ain.

Time wise for me, that is not possible but the club are already  looking into a student gate for next season and also fostering some links with  the said same institution... Watch this space.. :wink:

interesting comment from richard Gordon yesterday which I think the older members will agree is wrong, He stated that during Willie Ormond's peak at Perth saints only had a core support of 3,000.

from memory and I was only a yong boy back then but pretty sure it was more than that.

If you went into town on a match day and asked 100 people who Saints were playing that day, 90% would not know, tried it myself. We have no presence in our own home town, few folk read the PA since it became a by-product of the Record and even their SPL ads do not feature Saints!

The schools, I believe, are getting fed up subsidising us without getting anything in return, no players visit any of the schools in the area despite everything the Chairman said about new players and manager having to have a presence in Perth.

Poster-wise, I didn't see any so they must have been a bit out of the way.

We have become an out of town club so we need to take the club into the town and promote it. SLF havers some crap sometimes but he had a great idea regarding the old booth. Why don't we have this back again, someone there to sell tickets and players for photos and autographs? I like the idea about the lotto outlets putting up posters but we need to hit the hotels and b&b's to get more traffic. Get something agreed with Stagecoach as they too would benefit if they say which routes go to the ground.

I also heard Richard Gordon commenting on our core up port, be I right or wrong we need to increase it dramatically to survive. There is so much that could be done, I know Roddy does a great job but he is not a marketeer and this is what the club needs, someone with a passion to deliver the St Johnstone 'product'. Sky and ESPN were parsing Celtic and Hibs for their promotions such as all kids forbid£5 but we are a long way ahead of them but given the embarassing numbers in the stands it is obvious we need to let Perth know about it. I have told lads of people at work and thy had no idea f the offers we have just now.

Come on Saints, get someone on board who can promote the club and make it the pride of Perth, not its best kept secret

Adverts which don't become dated (i.e. season long offers) could be put on the back of P. K. C.

parking tickets. Contact Parking Operations Manager at Glover St.

This is a very cheap way to advertise, or at least was a few years ago.

Loads of companies advertise this way, Mc Donalds, Pizza Hut , Garages etc.

Stipulate how many tickets you want, how long they are likely to last and when you wish the advert to be placed in the ticket machines .

Also which area , Perth or country towns and villages, you wish the tickets to be seen.

Not all country towns and villages have ticket machines, but I note that plans are afoot to increase the number of " On street " parking areas in Crieff .

I know we don't have a big staff at McD but surely arranging for someone to give the press the info on gate prices etc and be available to correct any errors like that would be useful. Damn sure if it had been Ibrox or Parkhead they would have known the prices and been promoting them.

It would also help if they advised the bl**dy turnstile operators of the offers.

Two of them in the East Stand didn't know that that 17-18yr olds were only £11 on Sunday.

It was clearly marked above the entrance, but they hadn't been informed :shock:

It would also help if they advised the bl**dy turnstile operators of the offers.

Two of them in the East Stand didn't know that that 17-18yr olds were only £11 on Sunday.

It was clearly marked above the entrance, but they hadn't been informed :shock:

Thought it was a fiver for them on Sunday?

That was what I thought Dave, Where does £11 come from??

That was what I thought Dave, Where does £11 come from??

It was on the board above the two turnstiles, at the North end of the East Stand.

As well as the £5 offer, it had 17-18yr olds £11.

A group of young guys in front of me had to argue the toss, when they were initally refused this offer.  The two turnstile operators had no idea that it had been displayed.

Do the club know you can buy peoples addresses? Companies sell this data and its not that expensive. They could purchase the e-mail addresses/physical addresses of people in Perth and the surrounding area and send out anything they want. Its a one-off purchase.

Also for the Motherwell game I'd have the season tickets prices ready and application forms handed out to everyone going through a pay-gate. I'd also offer a (feasible) discount to anyone signing up on the day and advertise it to the hilt on weeks up to the game.

It amazes me that in 2013, our club doesn't even have a simple mailing list. Get a database with season ticket holders email addresses and put up a form online for everyone else to put in their email address, then just put out a weekly or monthly newsletter. Simples!

There has been a form on the website that people can sign up to for years.

It is on the front page, below the twitter feed on the left hand side.

http://www.perthstjo...o.uk/signup.php

Do the club know you can buy peoples addresses? Companies sell this data and its not that expensive. They could purchase the e-mail addresses/physical addresses of people in Perth and the surrounding area and send out anything they want. Its a one-off purchase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this may seem like a good idea these e-mail lists are not value for money at all.

We have built up a client list of just over 10,000 client e-mails over the last 10 years at work and mainly by asking if they wish to be on a mailing list for our hotel and use a mass mailing system to send out weekly newsletters in the winter and monthly updates in the summer. As part of the contract i-contact and all the other providers of this type of service require you to get permission from the e-mail account holder to send e-mails and if they get too many complaints they will suspend your service. With i-contact we get stats on who opens each message, when the open it and any links they click on so you can see what work and what does not when you are marketing to your followers.

We did at one point try buying a skiing specific list and set up a separate segment for this to monitor the stats and while our normal open rate is between 18% to 23% the bought e-mails produced a return rate of less than 1% and most subscribed or complained after 1 message so we did not take this any further.

I think the prices above the gates were the standard matchday prices! They just weren't changed for the game. Was confusing as i met some kids looking for the £5 gate and told them that i hadn't seen any and assumed you just had to go to gate and it should be ok.

Again just little bits of detail not quite right, but enough to confuse and not helping!

In regards email lists:

@JamieBeaston - why don't you donate the email list from this website to the club?

Those emails are most targeted.

The club emails one email, and the user has the unsubscribe ....it is called "opt out list" rather than "opt in".

Of course, that relies on Jamie gifting the club the mails. I donate mine. You have my permission to pass it on....if that is what is needed.

I always have a feeling that Saints seem to leave everything to the last minute, alomst like they've suddenly realised they've forgotten to promote an offer/match and just chuck the deal up on their website a few days before the game and hope people will turn up.

Likewise with season tickets, new strips etc, we always seem to hear later than most other teams. I appreciate trying to find a sponsor is probably the reason for the hold up with Saints, but I can already buy a season ticket and next seasons strips from Wolves - as I've been told at least 3 times in the past week by the club via email!

Would Saints maybe benefit from putting on a couple of buses that run from somewhere in the middle of town out to McD. Get a couple of people out in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon and promote the game, get people on the buses and out to the game? It would only really work on nice days though, when the town is busy.

I know that there are service buses which do pretty much the same journey but it might be worth looking at.

Would Saints maybe benefit from putting on a couple of buses that run from somewhere in the middle of town out to McD. Get a couple of people out in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon and promote the game, get people on the buses and out to the game? It would only really work on nice days though, when the town is busy.

I know that there are service buses which do pretty much the same journey but it might be worth looking at.

===============

Nice day & town busy.No chance then.

Edited by Cagey

• 1 month later...

On the ball with three mini bill boards outside McDiarmid Park tonight.

002-4_zps2f2bda1e.jpg004-5_zps05d1c5f5.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doss

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doss

=====================================================================================================

a great big hairy doss