Prices

Guest Mongy Max

know the club took a loss on the chartered flight last year, but I'm confused......aren't the players/staff flying there anyway? I don't know how it works but I can't picture Saints taking 20+ people on a Ryanair flight? (or whoever flies to Norway), so wouldn't that loss simply be reduced by putting 'bums in seats' on the flight? 

Just quoting part of my previous post as I genuinely have no idea and would love to know the answer if anybody knows?

Please provide the evidence for this.

Chartering an aircraft is a massively expensive task, and that's before you get a hotel room, a match ticket and bus transfers at either end factored in. If it is right that there are only 60 slots on it for travelling fans you're looking at a plane taking about 100 people total. That's tens of thousands of pounds before you get off the ground. I doubt any profit is being made from it, or any particular subsidy of the team. The fact that it sold out shows you it wasn't necessarily too expensive.

It is dear, don't get me wrong - but it is an all in, unique, package. It is aimed, clearly, at a certain category of people. You can obviously do it yourself much cheaper (my flights and hotels come to a total of about 300 quid) - but you then have to do all the legwork yourself, get yourself to and from the airports, spend a night in Oslo waiting on a connecting flight etc etc.

I think the home leg should have been £22 like any other home match, its a shame its an extra couple of quid, but there are still great deals for families and concessions which is something we're really strong on.

Please provide the evidence for this

So you think St Johnstone are paying 850 per person....BU SHI

Note when you price this price it accordinally with the estimated passengers and go a week ahead as this week is an unfair estimate....

EVIDENCE

1. Private Jet Charter Flights - Blue Star Jets - Home.
    www.bluestarjets.com/‎
    •  
    •  

Blue Star Jets Private Jet and Private Jets Flight Services ,
  2. What to Expect When Flying Private Air Charter - Shoreline Aviation
    www.shorelineaviation.net/.../What-to-Expect-When-Flying-Private-Air-...‎
    •  

Apr 13, 2012 - Flying Private Charter for the First Time? Learn what you can expect: from pets to passports; how much it costs - and how it can save you ...
  3. Charter flights at CharterHub.com: Air charter service, private jet ...
    www.charterhub.com/‎
    •  
    •  

Air charter at CharterHub.com: Your source for jet charters, private air charter, executive jet charter, business jet charter.

So you think St Johnstone are paying 850 per person....BU SHI

Note when you price this price it accordinally with the estimated passengers and go a week ahead as this week is an unfair estimate....

I ran the details of the trip through a couple of those websites and it came up with minimum costs in the region of £40,000 - but that was a minimum, it could be up to £60,000 or £70,000. There's no way of knowing who Saints organised it through or what the charter jet cost.

Even if you, generously, say each supporter on the flight is paying £700 towards the flight out of their £850 or whatever it is - and given a decent hotel room in Trondheim will set you back £100 a head that's a low estimate - that only comes to £42,000, which wouldn't even cover the flight at its absolute minimum cost.

The buses to/from the airport, the match tickets and the hotel rooms all have to be added in - and they aren't cheap.

At the end of the day, Saints have pitched the charter deal at a price that has seen it sell out very quickly. No-one has been forced into it, and anyone wanting to go could still make their own arrangements for less. I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

I myself think the club are doing a great job on prices, they are letting me pay 5 monthly installments of £60 which is far easier than paying the 300 upfront and then 15 to get into Europa game I think they are within there right to charge a little more for the euro game. Most of the fans that just go to the big games will go as this might b the last euro game in a while. As for the oap price the season ticket in east stand is 160 which I think is a pretty decent price so it's not just the ones with the kids that benefit.

Has anyone actually seen the price money saints get for qualifying for this round?

It pays for the charter anyway. loosing money? i have my doubts?!

in 2012 teams knocked out in the second qualifying round gots 100k euros!

which is what just over 80k?

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1845777.html

Edited by PerthSeany

The numbers just don't stack up for me, we have had the highest income post season for decades, best league position in years AND two years money from UEFA, yet we have slashed budgets and pumped up prices.

If you're happy enough to spend your money on this, fine but I am not

I suspect the club is factoring in the loss of revenue in the coming season as as far as I know the league still doesn't have a sponsor. So the club have to take that into account when making up their budgets for the season. While we might have made a decent amount of money last season compared to what we were expecting the club probably still made a loss in the year and that can't go on for ever.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the UEFA cash isn't that much when you take into account travelling etc, unless you get into the next couple of rounds or the group stages (we can dream!).

Edited by MrBored

Has anyone actually seen the price money saints get for qualifying for this round?

It pays for the charter anyway. loosing money? i have my doubts?!

in 2012 teams knocked out in the second qualifying round gots 100k euros!

which is what just over 80k?

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1845777.html

European football is expensive, without these payments half the teams would not enter.

Scottish teams will probably be better financially from next season when our teams enter at the first round, they will be seeded, should win a game or 2 and get extra prize/entry money. You get the same 80K whether its a trip to Northern Ireland or Norway,

I ran the details of the trip through a couple of those websites and it came up with minimum costs in the region of £40,000 - but that was a minimum, it could be up to £60,000 or £70,000. There's no way of knowing who Saints organised it through or what the charter jet cost.

Even if you, generously, say each supporter on the flight is paying £700 towards the flight out of their £850 or whatever it is - and given a decent hotel room in Trondheim will set you back £100 a head that's a low estimate - that only comes to £42,000, which wouldn't even cover the flight at its absolute minimum cost.

The buses to/from the airport, the match tickets and the hotel rooms all have to be added in - and they aren't cheap.

At the end of the day, Saints have pitched the charter deal at a price that has seen it sell out very quickly. No-one has been forced into it, and anyone wanting to go could still make their own arrangements for less. I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

All I'm saying they could of done far better especially as they get 85000 from UEFA also as it sold out so quickly they could've got a 200 seater and dropped the price significantly..

once again as saints supporters we put up with this young mans total control of the club he wants yes men and thats it.....

There is no one at the club that looks after us and as far as Roddy Grant is concerned he's a Footballing saints Legend but No way is he doing what an ambassader of the club should be doing..... Total and utter crp PR...

All I'm saying they could of done far better especially as they get 85000 from UEFA also as it sold out so quickly they could've got a 200 seater and dropped the price significantly..

once again as saints supporters we put up with this young mans total control of the club he wants yes men and thats it.....

There is no one at the club that looks after us and as far as Roddy Grant is concerned he's a Footballing saints Legend but No way is he doing what an ambassader of the club should be doing..... Total and utter crp PR...

Make it a 200 seater and the price stays much the same, proportionally.

Prize money from UEFA is great but is rather that was reinvested in the team or facilities than subsidising a charter flight for people who are clearly willing and able to pay the going rate for it.

I am on the charter. Just a working bloke who has not had the opportunity to travel abroad on our previous adventures.

Yes I could have done it cheaper, dossed about in airports overnight but I am willing to pay a bit extra for the door to door service and the craic on the plane home when we have got a result in Trondheim.

The important thing is that Saints fans are there to support the team at a cost that they individually find acceptable.

than subsidising a charter flight for people who are clearly willing and able to pay the going rate for it.

I am on the charter. Just a working bloke who has not had the opportunity to travel abroad on our previous adventures.

Yes I could have done it cheaper, dossed about in airports overnight but I am willing to pay a bit extra for the door to door service and the craic on the plane home when we have got a result in Trondheim.

The important thing is that Saints fans are there to support the team at a cost that they individually find acceptable.

That's exactly it, the price may not be great but ultimately we have fans willing to pay it for the reasons Templar has stated, so fair enough.

If a very small number took the club up on the offer*, perhaps next time (assuming there is) would be cheaper or more than likely there would be no option of the chartered flight.

*That's not a go at the fans paying the price for the charter, that's entirely their decision and it definitely is the easier option 

Also, bear in mind those websites are giving you an estimate based on nothing more than the number of passengers and the distance. It doesn't take into account taxes (air passenger duty and VAT), or the actual availability at short notice of an aircraft.

Fuel, crew, landing and take off? Will the plane return to Scotland and fly back again to pick everyone up the next day? It all depends on things most people have very limited knowledge of. Who knows what sort of things airlines have to pay Airports/governments for when flying from A to B.

It's way out of my price range but I can see why people have paid it. It's very convenient and easier than what I've seen most people come up with on their own. If I could afford that money, I would probably pay it for the convenience of it all being arranged and so direct.

While I agree that £850 is  a huge price to pay ( and had I been in the position to go I would certainly not have gone on the team trip) I can  confirm after tonights  fans focus group meeting that this figure  would actually have been  a couple of hundred quid higher had Saints  not subsidised it again this year.

Hard to believe  but confirmed by the Chairman.  He is not happy with the cost either but the short time scale between  the game and booking means it is very difficult to get it cheaper. He also told us that the club CANNOT just book a plane..It has to be done through a registered charter company.

I am not making any comment on Maxs' post because I believe "everyone to there own" but I did feel it is important to get the facts  regarding the official charter out there..

Travel from Perth to the airport? Flight from Edinburgh to Trondheim? Hotel overnight? Flight direct back? Dropped back off in Perth?

That's exactly why I would go with the club rather than the ways some other fans are doing it. But each person, as you say, has to find their own way of doing it that is comfortable for them. In the end I had a choice between going abroad or getting a season ticket and supporting Saints throughout the season was more important to me.

Montrose, I'm not asking for world class football free. I am asking pay an adequate amount for average football.

The price of football in general is horrendous and I would much rather pay money to spend time with my family than drive a four hour round trip to pay over the odds watching average football.

The numbers just don't stack up for me, we have had the highest income post season for decades, best league position in years AND two years money from UEFA, yet we have slashed budgets and pumped up prices.

If you're happy enough to spend your money on this, fine but I am not

How much money do you think we get from Uefa Max??

As for slashed budgets..Do you think our club made a profit or loss last season?? and if so what do you think it might have been?

We sold 1531 (ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE) season tickets last term. We had the lowest average crowd in the SPL with just 3712 ( we finished 3rd) Ross County 4429. Dundee (relegated 5924) and even St.Mirren 4389..

We are hardly awash with money  matey..

Given the financial strife which is running through Scottish fitba  right now, I am delighted our club is  making sure we are, and will remain, solvent for the forseeable future..

How much money do you think we get from Uefa Max??

As for slashed budgets..Do you think our club made a profit or loss last season?? and if so what do you think it might have been?

We sold 1531 (ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE) season tickets last term. We had the lowest average crowd in the SPL with just 3712 ( we finished 3rd) Ross County 4429. Dundee (relegated 5924) and even St.Mirren 4389..

We are hardly awash with money matey..

Given the financial strife which is running through Scottish fitba right now, I am delighted our club is making sure we are, and will remain, solvent for the forseeable future..

What else was discussed tonight at your Secret 7 meeting, Ghostie?