Saints v Dundee Utd. 26/9/15

The ghost of Jim Morton

Ando was also a young kid who grew into the role with age and experience. Scobbie is a senior professional who's played the majority of his career at the highest level in Scotland, what more room for growth is there. He's a liability and that's the end of it. 

Agree with most of that apart from the last comment... Liability is a poor word choice!!

Ando was given so much more time to mature as a CB because the talent for defending and bravery was spotted in his teens. HOURS were poured into Andos development at the club.

Scobbie on the other hand, hasn't polished his game to the extent Ando has.. Don't forget, 5 years ago Scobbie was being capped for Scotland while Ando was being kept out of the team by one Graham Gartland.

I really like Scobbie as a footballer, I like any defender who has a football brain, can play a pass and can beat a man, rather than hoofing it into the corners, that said, give me a back four of MacKay, Ando, Ando, MacKay any day of the week!!

Don't think it's been mentioned on this match thread yet, but the quality of the Saints bench on Saturday really stood out for me. We've now got guys like Sutton, Fisher and Kane who can't get into the team, McKay who can't even get on the bench (anyone else wondering if maybe he won't be around for long?), and Ando to factor in too. Plus a load of players out on loan including Brown who was a fairly regular player for us and Hunter who seems like a really promising goalscorer. And I'd imagine there's still a desire to add a left winger too.

I know it was said during the summer that this could be one of the strongest ever Saints squads and that sort of talk swiftly disappeared after the Alashkert disappointment - but I honestly don't think I've ever seen a Saints squad as consistently strong in so many positions as this one is.

Personally I'm feeling really positive about this season as I don't think many teams around us are anything to fear and without a doubt we can challenge for Europe again. It's also really pleasing to hear Tommy Wright saying he still has goals for the club, and I'm sure the League Cup will now be one of those.

Don't think it's been mentioned on this match thread yet, but the quality of the Saints bench on Saturday really stood out for me. We've now got guys like Sutton, Fisher and Kane who can't get into the team, McKay who can't even get on the bench (anyone else wondering if maybe he won't be around for long?), and Ando to factor in too. Plus a load of players out on loan including Brown who was a fairly regular player for us and Hunter who seems like a really promising goalscorer. And I'd imagine there's still a desire to add a left winger too.

I know it was said during the summer that this could be one of the strongest ever Saints squads and that sort of talk swiftly disappeared after the Alashkert disappointment - but I honestly don't think I've ever seen a Saints squad as consistently strong in so many positions as this one is.

Personally I'm feeling really positive about this season as I don't think many teams around us are anything to fear and without a doubt we can challenge for Europe again. It's also really pleasing to hear Tommy Wright saying he still has goals for the club, and I'm sure the League Cup will now be one of those.

Yes. The disappearance of Brad McKay is quite odd given that he hasn't really had much of an opportunity. Ok he made a high profile and costly error but so have others.

Was thinking about this recently as well.  He's completely out of the picture just now.. Hope it's temporary as he seemed to have a fair bit of potential.  When he was on the bench he seemed to be apart from the rest of the subs when warming up at HT.  

Agree with you blueheaven, the squad is looking great.  If we can get a bit more defensive stability we could be in for another memorable season.

Yes. The disappearance of Brad McKay is quite odd given that he hasn't really had much of an opportunity. Ok he made a high profile and costly error but so have others.

I think you'd have to assume that his absence is based on more than just that one mistake. I think it's highly possible that Wright has decided after working with him that he just doesn't fit in. I think the guy now has a helluva task trying to get back into the team at this stage, especially now that Fisher is here to.

If you had witnessed his performance in the u20 game tonight against Sevco you would understand why he is no where near the first team.

Think Tommy will be hoping he asks for his release.

I feel a bit sorry for Brad McKay to be honest. He's only ever played beside Scobbie at centre back and Shaughnessy at right back. He's extremely raw, but a Mackay/Anderson figure would talk him through a game and help his development. Wouldn't like to see us give up on him this quickly tbh.

Must admit though, Shaughnessy looks the better of the two. Signing Fisher seems to have given him a real kick up the arse as he's been excellent the last few times I've seen him.

I did wonder about ego.. Coming from a supposedly bigger club and possibly expected to walk straight into the first team.  I also don't think his twitter incident would have endeared him to Tommy too much so maybe there was a bit of punishment over that.

It's a long season though, and he's got plenty of time to turn it around. He could be our star defender in 3 months time for all we know.

I wonder who TW really thinks at this stage should be his back four.

Cuptie, Beast and Ando are excused for making mistakes it seems and also pretty untouchable with the saints fans. Brad McKay, Tam Scobbie and Long Joe throw have not earned The loan from Celtic doesn't count as a long term plan/solution at the moment.  

It's difficult. Scobbie has been prone to very bad errors. Anderson has been horrendous in both games he's played - before and after injury. McKay's made mistakes but been punished fairly severely for them.

Mackay and Shaughnessy have looked our best partnership I think - but on basis of only two games, hard to be sure

Utter shite re Scobbie

Not really. Whatever you think of Scobbie's footballing skills as a left back, he's hamstrung by hard-to-fix weaknesses in central defence: his lack of pace, absence of an attacking threat, suspect judgement under pressure; and a related problem is his passing out of defence. It isn't great.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but while I think you might fix one of these weakness, it's far easier to get in a proven central defender than attempt to address all of them.

He'll come good, I reckon. The managers just lost a little faith in him and hes probably lost it in himself too, I'd still have him playing ahead of Scobbie as we know Scobbies never going to be good enough to be a starter, while McKay could yet develop into that

You're entitled to your opinion - but remember it's YOUR opinion, no-one else's.  And my opinion is that you're wrong about Scobbie.  At the end of the day though the only opinion that matters is Tommy's.

Not really. Whatever you think of Scobbie's footballing skills as a left back, he's hamstrung by hard-to-fix weaknesses in central defence: his lack of pace, absence of an attacking threat, suspect judgement under pressure; and a related problem is his passing out of defence. It isn't great.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but while I think you might fix one of these weakness, it's far easier to get in a proven central defender than attempt to address all of them.

Always felt that his distribution was very good personally.

You're entitled to your opinion - but remember it's YOUR opinion, no-one else's.  And my opinion is that you're wrong about Scobbie.  At the end of the day though the only opinion that matters is Tommy's.

I'm not claiming Scobbies currently better than McKay, just that McKay could be better in the future and isnt so far behind Scobbie that swapping them would harm our chances, especially with Scobbie making a goal making mistake in 75% of the games he plays. 

Same situation with Kane and Sutton, Id far rather see Kane play than Sutton to help him develop.