Semi Final Nostalgia

SaintJet

Damn quiet in here today. Can only assume the board is on reconnaissance trying to obtain whereabouts of briefs for Saturday.

How about a bit of nostalgia and look back at some of our other semi final experiences, good and bad. Lets have your memories of these semi finals; the games, the opposition, the heartbreak and the glory. You can include the Scottish Cup, the League cup and even the Dewar Shield if you want.

15th April 1989. Who can ever forget that day? Whilst first division Saints were battling with the Original Rangers to a gallant 0-0 draw, we left Parkhead in buoyant mood only to find out about the events at HIllsborough. 

I'll always remember the ovation the small knot of Saints fans gave the team at full time that day when they came over to our section to take the adulation of the faithful led by the late great Don McVicar. Stevie Maskery didn't make the team that day through injury. Great memories and always connected with that fateful day.

I actually made myself ill in the aftermath of the Saints v Arabs semi at EEP and I vowed never again would I allow myself to get into that state. So far I have managed that although I must admit to a few tears between April 13th and May 17th 2014

Remember it well. East End park. Saints were so unlucky that day but it was also the beginning of belief that we  were destined to great things.

I remember throwing a whole Lamb bhuna in the bin that night because I couldn't face it and going to bed in the huff.

15th April 1989. Who can ever forget that day? Whilst first division Saints were battling with the Original Rangers to a gallant 0-0 draw, we left Parkhead in buoyant mood only to find out about the events at HIllsborough. 

I'll always remember the ovation the small knot of Saints fans gave the team at full time that day when they came over to our section to take the adulation of the faithful led by the late great Don McVicar. Stevie Maskery didn't make the team that day through injury. Great memories and always connected with that fateful day.

Maybe memory going a bit, but thought we had a really big support through that day and for the replay, as every man and his dog appeared to be there, as we were starting to come out of the doldrums and going places under Totten, but was a cracking atmosphere in the ground. Same with the EEP game big support and never got the rub of the green again, but was still a great time following the Saints, memories

Maybe memory going a bit, but thought we had a really big support through that day and for the replay, as every man and his dog appeared to be there, as we were starting to come out of the doldrums and going places under Totten, but was a cracking atmosphere in the ground. Same with the EEP game big support and never got the rub of the green again, but was still a great time following the Saints, memories

Sandy, your right we did have a pretty big support for both games. My description of "small Knot " of Saints fans was a poor description. On the Wednesday night replay I think we probably took more expectant fans.

The 0-0 '89 semi final was a great achievement for one of my favourite Saints teams against David Murray's bankrolled old Rangers. I was only 15 years of age and was just in awe at the huge Saints support that day, I reckon there was at least 10,000 Saintees there that day. This day was tinged with sadness by the time we got back to our bus and heard the tragic news of Hillsborough.  My favourite semi final was undoubtedly at Ibrox when we beat the sheep, more than made up for the tanking they gave us at Tynecastle earlier that season. Here's hoping on Saturday that our great team will give us another fantastic result to talk about in years to come. 

The 3-0 win over Hearts at Easter Road remains one of my favourite ever Saints matches. A terrific Saints team of players at the absolute peak of their powers, when Sandy Clark was still new in the job and we were absolutely flying. We destroyed Hearts that night. And what a goal from Biscuits.

Most heart-breaking for me would be the penalty shoot-out defeat to Rangers. Really felt like we were actually going to do it that day. Particularly gutted for Jody Morris who missed his penalty that day but was such a great player for us.

Sh*ttest would be either the hammering from Motherwell or last season's League Cup defeat from Aberdeen - both were a complete collapse from really good Saints teams who should have done much better.

The 3-0 win over Hearts at Easter Road remains one of my favourite ever Saints matches. A terrific Saints team of players at the absolute peak of their powers, when Sandy Clark was still new in the job and we were absolutely flying. We destroyed Hearts that night. And what a goal from Biscuits.

Most heart-breaking for me would be the penalty shoot-out defeat to Rangers. Really felt like we were actually going to do it that day. Particularly gutted for Jody Morris who missed his penalty that day but was such a great player for us.

Sh*ttest would be either the hammering from Motherwell or last season's League Cup defeat from Aberdeen - both were a complete collapse from really good Saints teams who should have done much better.

I remember Saints fans piling back in to the pubs to celebrate- (buses, trains- get tae fu**- we were there for night) and giving it large. I don't remember the pub but one Saints fan persuaded the Bar maid in this boozer to wear his saints Jersey whilst the poor Hearts fans were coming in shell shocked.

I missed my train back to Dundee and the Mrs was not happy- got back on the Barrossa and ended up in Perth back at my mums at 4am - great times.

I had my dad at the final in 2014. He has been living in England for 45 years.

He told me that the last time he saw Saints in a big cup game was the semi-final in 1961/2 v Rangers at Celtic Park. Saints were winning 2-0 and Rangers ended up winning with a penalty late in the second half. There was a lad from Blairgowrie scored 2 goals that day. I can't remember if he said for Rangers or Saints.

For me watching grown men crumple with emotion after the SC Aberdeen game was very humbling. No fans of big teams get the feelings that were generated that day.

Edited by sasha

He told me that the last time he saw Saints in a big cup game was the semi-final in 1961/2 v Rangers at Celtic Park. Saints were winning 2-0 and Rangers ended up winning with a penalty late in the second half. There was a lad from Blairgowrie scored 2 goals that day. I can't remember if he said for Rangers or Saints.

For me watching grown men crumple with emotion after the SC Aberdeen game was very humbling. No fans of big teams get the feelings that were generated that day.

That's a great story. I couldn't go back that far but was hoping someone might chip in with 1969 semi with Motherwell - 2 leg affair I think which I can't recall at all.

From the One Final Hurdle book on that match:

On the We Are Perth fans’ forum, Saints fan Bill Miller asked:

The old man has told me the last time he was at Parkhead was for a semi v Rangers. Ian Gardiner from Balbeggie scored but Saints lost 2-1. He can’t remember the year, can any of you help please?

Long-time Saints fan “south inch” quickly provided the answer:

I think that was a League Cup semi circa 1961.  Gardiner might have scored twice because I’m sure we were 2-0 up at half-time. As soon as the game restarted the ref gave Rangers a penalty. It was converted, I think, by Johnny Hubbard and Rangers won 3-2.

“Old Lethamite” gives further detail:

It was a League Cup semi-final, autumn 1961.  Saints:  Taylor; McFadyen; Lachlan; Little; Ferguson; McKinven; McVittie; Walker; Gardiner; Bell; Henderson. 2-0 up at half-time (Gardiner header and John Bell peach from the edge of the box). Rangers got a penalty soon after half-time (local legend was that Davie Wilson started his dive about 10 yards outside the box). It went to extra time, and we lost 2-3. Rangers had Baxter, Alex Scott, McMillan, Brand and Wilson.

“Mapleleaf”, who was at the match, has graphic memories of it:

We took through a good support to Weegie [Glasgow]. The Saints went 2-0 up fairly early in the game and I thought the impossible dream was about to come true. However, a wee blonde diving git took two dives and got two penalties. I think it was Johnny Hubbard who scored both. Saints eventually lost 3-2, I think. The euphoria, though, in the time the Saints had the lead was worth it all.

I particularly remember when the Saints were two goals up, a gigantic fella with Rangers colours all over him screaming, ‘fer feck’s sake, Gers. If ye cannie gie us goals, gie us blood!’ Scared the bejasus out of me.

Great memories.

that was one of my earliest memories of Saints. I'd been to a fair few games before as a nipper, but as a 10 year old in the Jungle at Parkhead that day I felt what it was like to be in a proper atmosphere at a match, and then pride at full time. Also, those surges of elation and nausea rolled together when we made a rare folly towards the Rangers goal. 

I think I was too young to really understand the Hillsborough disaster. Never really watched to or listened to the news as a kid. Was too busy kicking a ball against the greenkeepers shed in the car park at Crieff Golf Club. 

I missed the replay as it was a school night sadly.