Saints v Motherwell 20/02/16

glenrothes saintee

Average players - measured against who? These are more or less the players who have qualified for Europe the last couple of years so they are decent quality..

aye best not to bother with tactics then cos it doesn't really make any difference .... ??!!

this squad of 'average players' is near enough the same one that took us to the brink of third in the table.  It's not suddenly a poor squad.  

I think we could maybe set up far more defensive minded though, for example, to get a few points on the board until the confidence and form returns.

I didn't mention anything about tactics so don't know where you got that from... I think with the best will in the world, you can lead a horse to water....

"More or less"... "Near enough"... The choice of words is key... It's not the same squad though is it??

Its older by definition. There is good reason for talking about "losing that important yard of pace" or a player "peaking".. These guys(Mannus, Mackay, Wright, Millar, Maclean) peaked as a squad and cohesive 11, some of them have lost that yard of pace and more importantly that anything some have left.

Would you take this(what we had then):

Mannus

Mackay Wright Anderson Easton

Millar Dunne Davidson

O'Halloran

MacLean    May

Youth in the right places, experience in the right places and a spine that picked itself..

Or this(what we have now):

Mannus

Fisher Shaughnessy Anderson Scobbie

Swanson Davidson Lappin Wotherspoon

Maclean Cummins

Youth in the wrong places, the only experiences is dondering and plodding....

You've misunderstood me RBB... I said it was near enough the same squad that took us to the brink of third...  meaning 2 months ago!!  O'Halloran being the only one no longer here.

That's the team that had 6 (? can't remember exactly how many) wins on the spin, and I'm saying hasn't become a poor squad overnight.

The tactics point was in answer to your earlier comment about not conceding goals early being out of our control.  I was pointing out that how we set up and are organised can effect it, that was all.

I remember our 2013/14 team mostly being...

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Wright - Easton

O'Halloran - Millar - Dunne - Wotherspoon

MacLean - May

In the second half of the season. But if you look at the players who made the most starts over the course of the season its..

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Wright - Easton

Wotherspoon - McDonald - Cregg - Hasselbaink

MacLean - May

All it proves is that we had more strength in depth back then.

if they win 6-0 they go above us. Not so inconceivable! LAUGH OUT LOUD

actually, if we win this and v Partick, we're sitting not too bad. I think someone will go on a truely horrendous run (worse than us) and cement the playoff place.

Yes indeed, arithmetic never was my strong point :laugh:

as opposed to you who joined WAP less than 2 years ago ;-)

I see, if you haven't been a member of this board since forever this discredits you.

Lets be clear, you don't know me. Anominity goes with this part of social exchange. So whether I've been abroad working for a clandestine organisation, been ill, suffered a breakdown to which I'm recovering from or dealing with a severely disabled parent or child which sucks the life out of my free time it's none of your business.

My contribution to this board is based on a lifetime of following my football team. You are welcome to take umbridge with my opinion which is the purpose of social media but look past quantity before quality.

After last week's low point, surely we can't sink any lower!!

I am beginning to get my enthusiasm back for this game.

C.o.y.s.

I'm starting to feel the same way. After last week I was lower than a snakes belly. Hope springs eternal for the football fan.

I'm thinking we might win this one too. My Arab colleagues who were at the 'Well match in the week tell me Motherwell were rubbish and sat it from the get go. Also they agreed that Motherwell were the worst team they have played this year which tells us something about utd on the back of 0-3 drubbing. Bottom line though is if we loss this we really are in the brown stuff.