The Cathro Conundrum

Dave Ferg

It should really be a surprise to nobody that someone like Cathro has ended up in the job. It was very openly discussed when Budgie and the specky one took over at Hearts that this would be their gameplan...build an promising young team with a promising young backroom staff, all of whom will have the potential to make the club money when they eventually move up a level.

The reaction to this appointment from some of the ex-'pros' who have been gifted a media platform (Boyd, Craigan et al) has been an absolute embarrassment. They can't back up their arguments with any substance and it just reeks of fear and playground jealousy that somebody who has dared to make a name for himself outside of the beloved Scottish Fitba old boys club has managed to get a big job before them.

I mind wee feature interviews about Cathro years ago, coaching at an incredibly early age here there and everywhere. It shows the parochialism of the Scottish game - many of the best coaches in Europe never played at top level.

Exactly, even look closer to home look and check out the high flying playing careers of the two currently in charge of the ugly sisters.

Cathro has already landed back room jobs abroad and worked as an assistant under former former international coaches and Champions League winning managers. That's some pedigree for someone of his age. We should be openly trying to attract promising young coaches and managers like this to our leagues.

I honestly can't get my head around the negativity that has surrounded this.

I think its a brave move too, by Cathro.  Two things strike me.  First, no matter how good he is at coaching and analysis he has to work with the players his budget will allow and remember Neilson has already achieved a third place so the scope for improvement is limited unless The The implode again (oh please, please) or Rodgers leaves Septic sooner than expected.

Second, there is the Levein factor.  I have now heard three pro/anti Cathro appointment discussions and one fact which emerged in all three, and not denied, is the degree of oversight Levein likes to exercise.  In particular, during matches he likes to sit in the stand and pass down notes with "suggestions" at frequent intervals.  The pro appointment guys saw this as a plus point, the anti side thought this was perhaps one of the reasons for Neilson departing Tynecastle at a speed that would have left Usain Bolt floundering in his wake on receipt of the first reasonable offer of alternative employment.

Two or three discussion participants said that the obvious man for the Hearts job was our Tommy.  All were agreed that this would not have been acceptable to Tommy or Levein! 

I would be quite surprised if CL is actually picking the team. I imagine he will provide input and direction over the decisions that the head coach makes, the same as any line manager would do in any industry, but the head coach surely has to be the one making selections and dealing with the players day to day, same as the standard structure in place at most European sides.

If not, then why would Cathro leave a comfortable role coaching at a massive, soon to be Premier League club, to essentially do the same job but at a much much lower level?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Asked my Newcastle ST Holder son in law what he thought about Cathro's move.  His response "Who?"  Came back later to say Rafa had issued a statement wishing him all the best in his new post describing him as "a member of our coaching staff"  A later statement from the club said he would not be replaced for the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

He was terrible in his post match interview yesterday, why did he not know that the replay was scheduled for Wednesday and why admit to not knowing?  He came across as a wee laddie playing with the big boys but totally out of his depth...........oh wait a minute 

One of the plus points put forward to support Cathro's appointment was his ability to analyse a game and so pinpoint improvements.  In particular, it was said his half time talks would be a revelation!  Early days but in 5 out of his 6 days in charge Hearts' second half performance has been worse than their first half.  The exception being the Kilmarnock game which was over by half time by most accounts.