I Wouldn't Give Tommy Money Either

Mr Dennis Wise

Who last took Scotland to the World Cup? Craig did so you look stupid claiming he's not a good manager. But then the measurement of success on here is idiotic judging by the comments about Steve.

Craig Brown was a good Scotland manager and a really nice person who I have met and had the pleasure of his company at a fund raising dinner. 

As far as Steve Lomas is concerned he was a strange character who was not what I think a manager should be like. Not a tracksuit manager but one that spent most of his time on the phone at training. Thank God he left or we would still be waiting on our first cup win.

Where did I say that? Tommy is a great manager but I wouldn't be giving him money to waste in this window.

I'm not talking about players making an impact, just them not being crocked, invisible or so bad that they get paid off. Other managers being poor doesn't make up for anything. The SPFL is a lot poorer now then when managers like Craig Brown and Lomas were in it anyway.

Surely the chairman needs to either back the manager fully or get a different manager. You can't have some sort of halfway house where you say you've got a "great manager" but at the same time you're not willing to give him any money in case he "wastes" it. How do you propose we strengthen the squad if we keep Tommy Wright as our manager but don't allow him to sign anyone?

Don't really get this stuff about players being "crocked" either. If a player gets injured it doesn't make him a bad signing. We could sign Messi tomorrow and he could break his leg on his debut. Would that make it evidence of the manager making terrible signings?

I'd actually agree that Tommy Wright's main weakness has probably been his activity in the transfer market - he seems to lack the contacts and/or the ability to convince people to come here that Coyle, McInnes and Lomas all had. Wright's record when it comes to bringing in new strikers is particularly disappointing. But his record when it comes to results speaks for itself. Best Saints manager ever.

Surely the chairman needs to either back the manager fully or get a different manager. You can't have some sort of halfway house where you say you've got a "great manager" but at the same time you're not willing to give him any money in case he "wastes" it. How do you propose we strengthen the squad if we keep Tommy Wright as our manager but don't allow him to sign anyone?

Don't really get this stuff about players being "crocked" either. If a player gets injured it doesn't make him a bad signing. We could sign Messi tomorrow and he could break his leg on his debut. Would that make it evidence of the manager making terrible signings?

I'd actually agree that Tommy Wright's main weakness has probably been his activity in the transfer market - he seems to lack the contacts and/or the ability to convince people to come here that Coyle, McInnes and Lomas all had. Wright's record when it comes to bringing in new strikers is particularly disappointing. But his record when it comes to results speaks for itself. Best Saints manager ever.

I thought that Abeid coming in was through a Tommy contact?

• 3 months later...

I'll judge Tommy, our chairman and the board at the end of the season, when I see where we're placed against the teams who have gone out in the transfer window and bought or signed players on loan!

Tommy has another successful season & and is probably the most successful manager in Saints history,now overtaking Ormond.

Willie's teams were more entertaining but Tommy knows how to grind out results.

Tommy has another successful season & and is probably the most successful manager in Saints history,now overtaking Ormond.

Willie's teams were more entertaining but Tommy knows how to grind out results.

Don't think there is any "probably" about it, this is undoubtedly our best ever. 

Glad they kept the naming of the East Stand reserved for The Tommy Wright stand.

If saints can get the marketing Wright, it will be a potentially significant earner by renaming as The Tommy Wright SSE Stand, University of the Highlands Stand, Aviva Stand , Stagecoach's Stand etc

Partner with our winning manager, set a minimum bid , 50k minimum, and invite all appropriate local businesses to send in 3 year deal sealed bids.

Sealed bids to weareperth.co.uk. 

Don't think there is any "probably" about it, this is undoubtedly our best ever. 

Glad they kept the naming of the East Stand reserved for The Tommy Wright stand.

If saints can get the marketing Wright, it will be a potentially significant earner by renaming as The Tommy Wright SSE Stand, University of the Highlands Stand, Aviva Stand , Stagecoach's Stand etc

Partner with our winning manager, set a minimum bid , 50k minimum, and invite all appropriate local businesses to send in 3 year deal sealed bids.

Sealed bids to weareperth.co.uk. 

...and we'll still only get a gate of 2-3k maximum every week.

Thought I'd piece together a squad consisting of Tommy's "flops" - although some are actually decent, the squad as a whole representative on how they performed is as follows:

Steve Banks

Keith Watson - Brad McKay -  Plamen Krachunov - Michael Doyle
                                    Gary McDonald

Michael Coulson                                                       Lee Croft
                                       Rory Fallon
             Joe Gormley                             Adam Morgan

Thought I'd piece together a squad consisting of Tommy's "flops" - although some are actually decent, the squad as a whole representative on how they performed is as follows:

Steve Banks

Keith Watson - Brad McKay -  Plamen Krachunov - Michael Doyle
                                    Gary McDonald

Michael Coulson                                                       Lee Croft
                                       Rory Fallon
             Joe Gormley                             Adam Morgan

3 Scottish Cup Winners in there. What's the point your making?

3 Scottish Cup Winners in there. What's the point your making?

Point I'm making is the comparison to what we could've ended up with, compared to what we have now.  Symbolises how well the club is run by the manager and the Chairman that we have kept the core squad together - as well as showing how well we finish with even the listed players at our disposal.

There's always a bright side to every speculation, doubt or critique.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie