Tommy for Rangers

Shibbydoo

Another extract from his recent e-mail:

'Our home form has been poor compared to away form and this is preventing us from pushing on to try and catch Hearts and Aberdeen and it’s something we have to fix.'

Potentially one win away from a three-point gap between ourselves and Rangers. A fifteen-point gap between ourselves and Aberdeen. Hmm.. But yeah, we should definitely just concentrate on catching Hearts and Aberdeen. Rangers are miles ahead.

Edited by The Real Saints

100% happy at Saints.. hope he remembers this when he is on the phone to any opportunity... grass isn't always greener on the other side. ..  he said he was happy in his interview on the radio. The interview only had one story... a cry to come and get me.  Wonder who set it up... Tommy or the media?  He used the interview as a shop window when prompted...  If you get a call etc. He should have closed the question down with stating 100% commitment to our club, instead of hypothetically be approached by Rangers and being keen.  It was a bollocks interview immediately followed up by a bollocks in tactics the following day.  Can some check he has his head screwed on!  

So frustrated by his comment and openess about moving on, also surprised on the insight on the long running inhouse joke that he is leaving, maybe we are subconsciously making him go... Surely that nonsense, although funny at first, shouldnt keep on going?

If he can make us finish 3rd, then will take that as his apology.. (farewell)

Edited by Dave H

Was sickened to hear of the short term approach, I'm here to do a job.  Fans want a little more than that..  Let's see if he can pull 2 or 3 better class players in like he says we are missing, so to get to the next level.

Are we still talking about 3-4 quality players.  Im sure them along with pace and creativity were promised last Summer.....

Bad timing that interview being just a few days before the match with sevco.

It was on Friday before Inverness v Rangers. Tommy attended this game. Then opted to piss about with our formation when we played pub league style football v Killie.  Full interview was on radio on Sunday, effectively captured in the BBC link.  It's a disgusting interview!  

Edited by Dave H

It was on Friday before Inverness v Rangers. Tommy attended this game. Then opted to piss about with our formation when we played pub league style football v Killie.  Full interview was on radio on Sunday, effectively captured in the BBC link.  It's a disgusting interview!  

The story on the BBC now is "disgusting"?

The main points were these..

"I've done the work, I know I'm capable of making the step up and that's no disrespect to the club I'm at, because I love it here. But I'm ambitious and if I wasn't ambitious then my chairman would be worried.

"I'm proud of the work we're doing. There's different aspects to management. There's the tactical side, but then there's getting the best out of people, man-managing people, exhausting every ounce, squeezing everything you can out of the resources you've got.

Tommy attended the game because his team is playing Rangers tomorrow night. He played the same formation that he used successfully against Rangers at Perth and as he said it used the players he had available. Stop trying to make something out that isn't there.

Tommy attended the game because his team is playing Rangers tomorrow night. He played the same formation that he used successfully against Rangers at Perth and as he said it used the players he had available. Stop trying to make something out that isn't there.

I don't agree. The formation in fact didn't suit the players he had available. Easton clearly out of position, Scobbie and Joe don't make up a good back 3

What was wrong with the standard back four of Foster, Ando, Joe and Easton with Midge and Paton in CM, Alston and Spoony wide of them and Kane and Macca up top?

Nobody out of position. Paton was back from a suspension, not an injury, so no reason there why he couldn't start. In fact, Midge was the one that looked well below 100%

Say he didn't start, move Spoony or Alston into the middle and start with Thomson or Coulson, knowing that one might replace the other if short of match fitness 

The formation was absolute horse, as was the failure to react to change it when clearly not working. 

Stop trying to defend the indefensible 

Edited by Edstar101

Can anyone remember a game that we've started with 5 defenders at home that worked? I mind starting like that against Septic once and being 3 down inside 9 minutes.

5 at the back doesn't work for me. It's like when the opposition go down to ten men and players start thinking that somebody else will do that, or pick him up or whatever, and in the end nobody does

What you need is a sitting CDM and for the midfield to press in the wider areas cutting off the supply. Deal with the problem at the root

For any team looking for a manager.. Wright is putting himself in the shop window.  He's likely to be frustrated not getting any genuine approach so 

The main point of the radio interview is a come and get me to any chairmen looking for a new gaffer.

TW said:

I don't think there's anybody in a job or out of a job that wouldn't want to take that call,
Yeah I would take the call because it's a big club but it's all hypothetical.
That call hasn't happened as from other clubs it hasn't happened so I'm still happy here.

The one thing I do know is that, if a club knocks on the door and wants to take me away from St Johnstone, I'll be ready for that.

I got on really well with Mark [Warburton], but it always looked like there was something just not right. Whatever that is, only Mark could tell you.
I felt there was too many stories linking him with other clubs. Either somebody was being mischievous or it was genuine, but he probably had to answer too many questions about his future for too long.

I look at Rangers and they have a lot of gifted footballers and they have a lot of possession of the ball and the one criticism would be that they don't turn that possession into enough goals,
They're still a good side that can hurt teams, particularly at home, because they have so much of the ball. I'm almost waiting for them to turn a team over, but it hasn't happened.

Tommy can attend whatever game he wants to. Similarly, he can move to any job he feels would be of benefit to him and his family. He can play whoever he decides and in any formation he chooses. He can make whatever comments he likes about Rangers, although I wish he wouldn't. None of that will change my opinion of him and the respect he has earned.

Where I disagree is playing a formation partly with the next match in mind, and with players out of position. We were playing Kilmarnock, not Rangers. That we adopted a similar formation against Rangers last time in Perth (after we had been outplayed by them for much of the game) was no reason to do so against Kilmarnock. Three points were there on Saturday and it was clear to many of us (who don't know much about the game if we're honest) after 5 minutes that it wasn't working and didn't look like it would. Only after their second goal, and on 72 minutes, did we change it, but the damage had been done - the points relinquished. I get that we were also trying to sort the shocking record we have at home against teams further down the league. This is the second season we have struggled very badly against teams like Partick and Killie. It was about time we tried to remedy that, but not this way. I hope I never see Easton in that position again. It was extremely disappointing. Tommy was more honest in his assessment of how poor our performance was, but I think it would've been more accurate if he said that 'we' got it wrong and didn't just blame the players. In saying all of that I haven't made a personal statement about Tommy and his intent or motives. It's simply based on what I saw, which was nowhere near good enough on the day.

I don't agree. The formation in fact didn't suit the players he had available. Easton clearly out of position, Scobbie and Joe don't make up a good back 3

What was wrong with the standard back four of Foster, Ando, Joe and Easton with Midge and Paton in CM, Alston and Spoony wide of them and Kane and Macca up top?

Nobody out of position. Paton was back from a suspension, not an injury, so no reason there why he couldn't start. In fact, Midge was the one that looked well below 100%

Say he didn't start, move Spoony or Alston into the middle and start with Thomson or Coulson, knowing that one might replace the other if short of match fitness 

The formation was absolute horse, as was the failure to react to change it when clearly not working. 

Stop trying to defend the indefensible 

Giving your views and defending the indefensible are 2 very different things.

Its all about opinions.