Big summer coming up

saintcraigieboy

I'm all for bringing in new players and freshening up the squad but we do need continuity and players who feel secure at the club. Remember the days of old where we would ship out so many players at the end of the season and bring in almost an entirely new squad, it never worked because the players didn't get a chance to gel and learn to work as a team. What we need is a core of players in early to mid twenties who we can rely on to be consistent and have a future at the club, then we can look at letting the older players go and use those squad positions to freshen things up.

Where has this Millar is finished came from? Ability wise It's glaringly obvious that we still miss him when he's not available, he makes our midfield tick, the only player that is consistently able to recycle the ball in midfield. 

As for a complete overhaul, it's quite rightly not going to happen. 

Goalkeepers look more than fine, even if Mannus leaves the young lads should be adequate cover judging by the reviews they've been getting.

Defense - Watson/Foster Ando Joe Easton is fine. Again, there's high hopes Jason Kerr, Gordon and Comrie. As for Scobbie, he certainly isn't a great defender, but he's versatile and has shown he is able to perform in the past as well as being a good character to have around the club. Wouldn't be devestated one way or the other here. Not huge room for signings in this area, and bigger priorities elsewhere. 

Midfield - Liam Craig and Paton don't offer enough for me, Millar and Muzz are not able to be relied upon to play every week. Spoony and Alston are two players you'd really hope to see kick on in the coming years, and display more consistency. The activity in midfield, as it perhaps does in the forward area too,  depends on Swanson. I think regardless we need someone with a little guile and creativity in the middle, if Swanson goes we need a natural wide man with some pace too. If the budget stretches i'd like Swanson as well as a pacy wide man. Coulson doesn't appear to be up to scratch. 

Strikers - Macca still important to us, and Kane is young enough to still have hopes for and he's already good enough to be an option from the bench and to start in the right matches. Unfortunately, after a very promising start, Cummins has regressed badly. His time at Saints may come to an end this summer if he has another offer elsewhere. Another striker is a a necessity, two if Cummins leaves.

So my shopping list

1 Creative midfielder 

1 Striker (two if Cummins leaves.)

1 Wide man with pace if Swanson leaves (and even if he stays if the budget stretches.) 

We need quality additions, not a scattergun, panic merchant approach. We looked poor this time last season and yet here we are again, challenging for Europe.

Where has this Millar is finished came from? Ability wise It's glaringly obvious that we still miss him when he's not available, he makes our midfield tick, the only player that is consistently able to recycle the ball in midfield.

Jeezus....how many times do I need to say this

Yes...we miss Midge in midfield, and nobody saying he is sh1te. What people are realistically noticing is that maybe his injuries have caught up with him and a not fully fit Midge isn't a good thing to have on the park - please refer back to how that has cost us in recent games

You yourself later in your post even acknowledge that we can't rely on him every week

To that end then, looking not even long term I would say, but short to medium term, we need to think about life after Midge

To deny that would be foolish imo

Jeezus....how many times do I need to say this

Yes...we miss Midge in midfield, and nobody saying he is sh1te. What people are realistically noticing is that maybe his injuries have caught up with him and a not fully fit Midge isn't a good thing to have on the park - please refer back to how that has cost us in recent games

You yourself later in your post even acknowledge that we can't rely on him every week

To that end then, looking not even long term I would say, but short to medium term, we need to think about life after Midge

To deny that would be foolish imo

I've noticed throughout the forum 'Midge is finished' comments AFTER his one bad game in ten. He clearly isn't finished, he still has a lot to offer.

I've noticed throughout the forum 'Midge is finished' comments AFTER his one bad game in ten. He clearly isn't finished, he still has a lot to offer.

Millar and Davidson when fit would always be in my team, but getting to the stage that we never get more than few games and one or both are injured and will only get worse as they get on a bit, in Millar's case age starting to kick in a bit, also throw into the mix Liam Craig who is hitting that stage as well.

So big dilemma is do you keep a guy you get half a season from or spend the wage on someone younger who you potentially get a whole season from, also stops this continually having to change the lineup due to injuries (ideal world!).

Up front needs major change, will Macca keep going for ever, Cummins isn't the answer, as they say big summer coming up, that will define what way the club is heading, hope I'm not wetting my knickers, just think it's the facts