Disabled Parking at McDiarmid

mainstand

I'd be very interested to know legally if this could be enforced?? Sounds like Saints are making this up as they go along?

If you mean selling the same thing twice I had wondered about that. If it's not charged for to the second person then maybe it's their property so their policy to make. We'll need a lawyer. Is there still one on the board? :)

If the 30min rule is outlined in the T&C's then by signing up and paying for the space you will have agreed to that clause. In that case on the face of it there's not really much of an argument against the club. I'm sure that they will have checked out the legalities before pushing ahead with it. Especially if it's a clause that has been in place years previously without issue.

If ye have a new season ticket then included in an envolope is a law company offering its services. Chief

Right enough. My son opened the letter so I wondered where that came from. Mystery solved. Discounted legal fees? I don't believe it! :)

Guest ScottMann

Hi Scott. I am not always right. Sometimes I might be, sometimes not. I have criticised the club often, but I was referring initially to the more extreme views which I didn't feel were very helpful. By all means state your opinion, but not in a confrontational way or by calling for people's jobs - none of those type of comments make any kind of positive contribution.

In what way was I party to introducing the charge? Which disgraceful actions will I be defending?

You make some worthwhile points about the charges and some of the alternatives.

You seem to dislike the term personal assistant. This is simply the terminology adopted by CAFE (Centre for Access to Football in Europe), the SDSA (The Scottish Disabled Supporters Association) and various other groups not related to football. It is merely a phrase, although I do know that many people with disabilities dislike the word 'carer'.

I'd imagine that whatever decision is made is likely to attract criticism, and some more than others. Thankfully I don't make any decisions and have no need for any PR re-education course - I didn't ever do one to begin with that I might require re-education :)

It remains the case that I think we can achieve far more by being positive, non-confrontational and by avoiding personal abuse or name calling. I still maintain that those who know best about disability are those who live with it or who are involved through family members, work or other type of support. It doesn't mean that others cannot have a view or even that their view may not be valid.

We've had some good conversations before and I'd hope that we can do so in future if there's anything where we find ourselves in contact on.

I will gladly converse with yourself and any Saints fan that is here for genuine discussions and a bit of banter. My only proviso is attitude when I shall either ignore or respond in kind!

Personal Assistant may be the approved description of some doubtless pc driven committees but in the real word I inhabit it's been met with guffaws and head shakes. If a title has to be used then carer is still acceptable.

I have been involved in the disabled world for many years off and on, through association rather than personal experience, and used to push some guys from Hillside Homes to Muirton in my youth. Both chair user and accompanying young lad/mate/helper/carer/P.A. were given free entry and programme plus a cup of tea and pie/sausage roll at half time in times when the club was strapped for cash and didn't have a million or so in the bank.

No matter how it's tried to be justified I shall never accept what the club are now doing.

I will gladly converse with yourself and any Saints fan that is here for genuine discussions and a bit of banter. My only proviso is attitude when I shall either ignore or respond in kind!

Personal Assistant may be the approved description of some doubtless pc driven committees but in the real word I inhabit it's been met with guffaws and head shakes. If a title has to be used then carer is still acceptable.

I have been involved in the disabled world for many years off and on, through association rather than personal experience, and used to push some guys from Hillside Homes to Muirton in my youth. Both chair user and accompanying young lad/mate/helper/carer/P.A. were given free entry and programme plus a cup of tea and pie/sausage roll at half time in times when the club was strapped for cash and didn't have a million or so in the bank.

No matter how it's tried to be justified I shall never accept what the club are now doing.

I used to take my brother to Muirton in the 70's but we never got a cup of tea or a pie! I'm not sure but I don't recall getting a programme. We may be due a great many back payments.

Simpler times in many ways - not saying better, just different to what they are now.

Your last point is fair enough, but please don't assume it had anything to do with me. It didn't!

And there we have it...................this is about class, rather than income, law, or whatever. it's about St Johnstone carrying on like cunts in respect of being there for the community............oh, they are a community club WHEN IT SUITS!!!

Brown, SLO et al

NEXT TO NO FANS SEEM TO SUPPORT THE CHANGE? :mad:

Edited by MySpazz

Right enough. My son opened the letter so I wondered where that came from. Mystery solved. Discounted legal fees? I don't believe it! :)

As an aside, a certain financial guru who hangs around the Directors was rumbled displaying a disabled badge of a young boy from Glasgow.

As I stated previously, not all folk Using a blue badge is disabled or has the disabled person with them.

Needless to say the badge was never seen again. 

As an aside, a certain financial guru who hangs around the Directors was rumbled displaying a disabled badge of a young boy from Glasgow.

As I stated previously, not all folk Using a blue badge is disabled or has the disabled person with them.

Needless to say the badge was never seen again. 

If I was a teacher I would be licking a gold star for this post right here right now.....  

You would likely ken my aunt Betty Thomson then.she used to push guys from hillside homes tae muirton.dont recall her mentioning the tea and sausage rolls though! 

i agree with you in your last paragraph and dont particularly agree with the club either.am hopeful Andrew and his representatives put our views across.

You would likely ken my aunt Betty Thomson then.she used to push guys from hillside homes tae muirton.dont recall her mentioning the tea and sausage rolls though! 

i agree with you in your last paragraph and dont particularly agree with the club either.am hopeful Andrew and his representatives put our views across.

See! Someone else didn't get sausage rolls either.

I'd guess that your views will be known to the club already, without us saying anything. I will ask for a response. :)

Mainstand has hit the nail on the head. As someone who doesn't suffer from a disability, I am able to park my car behind the 208 or on numerous roads surrounding McDiarmid. That luxury would prove extremely difficult to some of the supporters using our disabled bays. It's not acceptable to charge them when they don't have a choice of parking options. 

Guest ScottMann

I used to take my brother to Muirton in the 70's but we never got a cup of tea or a pie! I'm not sure but I don't recall getting a programme. We may be due a great many back payments.

Simpler times in many ways - not saying better, just different to what they are now.

Your last point is fair enough, but please don't assume it had anything to do with me. It didn't!

Ok, noted. I took it from your posts and stance that the disabled group and Saints had come up with this together.

No, didn't know her SLF. I only really new the other guy that was helping transport the two residents we took. My mum had connections with Hillside through her work and she knew they needed volunteers so that's how I started doing it. My aunt was 'an inmate' as she called herself there but that was many years later. 

Certainly during the couple of seasons I did this we and any others at the pitch side were looked at after.We'd take the guys in the main entrance, past Brian Scotland(!) and sit with the guys to the right of Saints dugout. We went up the tunnel at half-time to get the refreshments with vague memories of a beige serving hatch. I had the sausage roll as I didn't like pies! Jeez, I haven't thought about this for ages. :blink:

As I have said before any disabled person (whatever their disability) should be accommodated and welcomed by the club but they should not receive this accommodation free just because they are disabled.

This is the overwhelming response from thousands of people surveyed throughout Europe. Generally speaking, people with disabilities have expressed a desire to be treated as anyone else would be - where practical, of course - and that they are happy to pay the same as others do.

Where this becomes ridiculous is when our national association on the back of these surveys begins to look at uniform ticket pricing. Can you imagine this? Saints charge £12 for the package (including PA), Hamilton, Partick, Kilmarnock, Dundee £10-£12, Celtic & Rangers £10, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell £24. I told them it was nonsensical - we aren't Europe and no clubs would go down from £24 to £10. All it would do would be to increase the prices across the board, thus the aim of promoting accessibility becomes the opposite. They dropped the idea, hopefully for good.

I remember after a wee altercation in the city centre with Dundee United one of my mates got banned from the football and community service. He turns up for community service and gets a placement taking disabled folk to the fitba. Couldn't believe my eyes when I seen him at McDiarmid :lol:

This is the overwhelming response from thousands of people surveyed throughout Europe. Generally speaking, people with disabilities have expressed a desire to be treated as anyone else would be - where practical, of course - and that they are happy to pay the same as others do.

Where this becomes ridiculous is when our national association on the back of these surveys begins to look at uniform ticket pricing. Can you imagine this? Saints charge £12 for the package (including PA), Hamilton, Partick, Kilmarnock, Dundee £10-£12, Celtic & Rangers £10, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell £24. I told them it was nonsensical - we aren't Europe and no clubs would go down from £24 to £10. All it would do would be to increase the prices across the board, thus the aim of promoting accessibility becomes the opposite. They dropped the idea, hopefully for good.

Does Motherwell not operate a system where the money goes to the Disabled Supporters Association and not the Club?

Does Motherwell not operate a system where the money goes to the Disabled Supporters Association and not the Club?

They do, but it's not a model that works well as it depends very much on those running it being excellent ambassadors. There have been recent internal issues at Motherwell. I'll leave it at that. Kilmarnock operate the same way and, on the whole, there have been more problems with these two at times than with most other clubs.

FROM FB

ust like to thank all the saints fans who took advantage of cheap parking at the Letham FC car park on Grange terrace we raised £160 for grass roots football also like to thank Struan motors for there longstanding support for our wonderful club 
Oh and a reminder that the car park is open every home game at a cost of £2 
Cheers 
LTID

Taken from St Johnstone website:

Parking

There are 15 designated accessible parking bays in the stadium car park – 10 outside the West Stand and 7 adjacent to the East and South Stands.  These are for use by Blue Badge holding supporters only.  A proportion of these are taken on a season-long basis by Saints supporters but the remaining spaces are available to pre-book on a match-by-match basis by phoning the ticket office on (01738) 455000, giving your name and the registration of your vehicle.  You will be allocated a numbered bay for you to use for that specific match only. If/When these spaces are fully booked any Blue Badge holders unable to reserve an accessible bay will still be accommodated in the normal spaces within the main car park but will be exempt from the car park charge. 

So do blue badge holders pay as previous posts or do they quote the above from Saints and say its Free of Charge??

Guest ScottMann

Parking

There are 15 designated accessible parking bays in the stadium car park – 10 outside the West Stand and 7 adjacent to the East and South Stands.  

10 + 7 = 15. That's about right.

Parking

There are 15 designated accessible parking bays in the stadium car park – 10 outside the West Stand and 7 adjacent to the East and South Stands.  These are for use by Blue Badge holding supporters only.  A proportion of these are taken on a season-long basis by Saints supporters but the remaining spaces are available to pre-book on a match-by-match basis by phoning the ticket office on (01738) 455000, giving your name and the registration of your vehicle.  You will be allocated a numbered bay for you to use for that specific match only. If/When these spaces are fully booked any Blue Badge holders unable to reserve an accessible bay will still be accommodated in the normal spaces within the main car park but will be exempt from the car park charge. 

So do blue badge holders pay as previous posts or do they quote the above from Saints and say its Free of Charge??

A case of the website not being updated to take account of new rules. It would be interesting to see what the car park guys are now saying to folk that just turn up and show the blue badge.