Lack of Ambition or Direction

St Mikey

We are continually quoted in the media we are a well run club with a good base as a club etc

is this the best it gets for us? We are going through a great period of achievement over the last 6 seasons especially. 

However with a chairman saying we don't deserve it as supporters due to dwindling attendance numbers ultimately hits the manager in the pocket for his budget. 

Where do we go now? It's being said we have no money for top quality signings or even more players that will improve the starting XI.

The clubs miserly attitude to not spending money or seeking a great signing is underwhelming.

We sign loads of younger players who continually fail to make the cut, with the exception of a few.

Do we now run the risk of having a lack of ambition or a lack of direction of where the club is going?

Exactly. I see a clear direction from the club and that is to improve the starting 11 and bring on our own youngsters at the same time. 

Moving on guys like Scobbie is key to the first aim, to give us the room in the budget. 

The club are in a challenging position having to play these games weeks after the league season has ended. 

Our glass ceiling is European football and competing in the cups. It's just how it is with our finances. If the 3000 folk who go to a European game and then vanish came every week, imagine what we could achieve? 

Fwiw everything comes down to money, we're maxing out the benefits of the limited money we earn, so the next obvious step is to start bringing in transfer fees. The direction the clubs taken in getting Alistair Stevenson and revamping the youth setup, while bringing in young players who could earn a fee, shouldn't be ignored. The May/MOH money is likely still being spent. We've got Clark and Shaughnessy who'll likely earn us a fee at some point aswell, while Scougall is another who could do it. 

The direction is to earn more money, the ambition is to progress as a club. I think this is exactly where we should be heading, it's maybe a gamble, but it could be worth it. 

Just my opinion of course, and how I see it, it's by no means what's happening. 

Edited by RandomGuy

If this is the best it gets for us I'll be happy enough with that. A few more years of top six finishes will do me nicely. I remember bouncing around in the bottom division, playing in front of crowds numbered in the hundreds, with the stadium falling to bits and players being sold to balance the books and bringing in a part-time, 20-something year old manager because it was all we could afford (and a damned fine job Gibby did, too, in the circumstances) and being on the verge of bankruptcy.

So if this is as good as it gets, bring it on.

I do think that the end of August is the time to really make a judgement but would say that Saints take in well over £1 million for May and O'Halloran and TW doesn't see a penny of it really, yet Thistle sell Liam Lindsay for £300k and Archibald is sanctioned to go out and buy Niall Keown from Reading.

There's no doubt there hasn't been a huge upturn in crowds off the back of recent success and that must frustrate Steve Brown but it's a bit of a cycle as some fans will IMO see a lack of ambition, which can harm as much as success can aid.

Everyone would have loved all the new signings in for Europe but it was never going to be that simple and a lot of that is out of Saints' hands. See where we are come the end of August though.

I do think that the end of August is the time to really make a judgement but would say that Saints take in well over £1 million for May and O'Halloran and TW doesn't see a penny of it really, yet Thistle sell Liam Lindsay for £300k and Archibald is sanctioned to go out and buy Niall Keown from Reading.

There's no doubt there hasn't been a huge upturn in crowds off the back of recent success and that must frustrate Steve Brown but it's a bit of a cycle as some fans will IMO see a lack of ambition, which can harm as much as success can aid.

Everyone would have loved all the new signings in for Europe but it was never going to be that simple and a lot of that is out of Saints' hands. See where we are come the end of August though.

Thistle are being bankrolled by those Euro Millions winners that won £160M. 

Totally different situation. I don't think we need to actually spend money on a player. There is enough quality out there on a free every year but I would like to see us push the boat out for 2-3 marquee signings in positions that really make a difference. Scougall being one, hopefully a forward being another. 

I always feel we're missing a trick with the English loan markets. The money being spent down south is silly and there must be more Abeid type players kicking around needing game time. 

Problem with loanees is they generally only postpone a problem rather than solve it. I'd only want one who was far above what we have, or would be available to sign at the end of the season, Abeid was that, but we took a few diddies in before we got him. 

Thistle are being bankrolled by those Euro Millions winners that won £160M. 

Totally different situation. I don't think we need to actually spend money on a player. There is enough quality out there on a free every year but I would like to see us push the boat out for 2-3 marquee signings in positions that really make a difference. Scougall being one, hopefully a forward being another. 

I always feel we're missing a trick with the English loan markets. The money being spent down south is silly and there must be more Abeid type players kicking around needing game time. 

Has to be a young striker of better quality out there that we can take on loan. We are crying out for one.

Problem with loanees is they generally only postpone a problem rather than solve it. I'd only want one who was far above what we have, or would be available to sign at the end of the season, Abeid was that, but we took a few diddies in before we got him. 

I agree. Would have to be Season long loan.

You need to get them at the right stage in their development. You saw that with Gwion Edwards who actually came onto a game towards the end of his second spell with us. 

The kids down south are getting bigger and stronger earlier and earlier because of the sums being invested in their development. You're seeing the results of that this summer at the u21 and younger levels with England. 

The stunt in their development comes much like ours but for very different reasons. They fail to break in to their first teams thanks to them being full of global superstars, if only we had that problem!

Edited by Pat McGroin

If this is the best it gets for us I'll be happy enough with that. A few more years of top six finishes will do me nicely. I remember bouncing around in the bottom division, playing in front of crowds numbered in the hundreds, with the stadium falling to bits and players being sold to balance the books and bringing in a part-time, 20-something year old manager because it was all we could afford (and a damned fine job Gibby did, too, in the circumstances) and being on the verge of bankruptcy.

So if this is as good as it gets, bring it on.

You sir are my quote of the week,most likely the year.i totally agree with you.

I ken there's dudes that likely won't understand .the only been going to mcdairmid never been muirton generation in particular. Read yer history.just enjoy 

Aye, yer right.

Trialist today was apparently Colin Hendrie's son, who came on for Kane near the end of the game.

Not enough time to make any sort of assessment as to his ability due to the length of time he was on the park, however when the ball was punted forward won three headers in the air against taller opponents, who by that time were Dons subs.

Let's not write young guys off too quickly.

Trialist today was apparently Colin Hendrie's son, who came on for Kane near the end of the game.

Not enough time to make any sort of assessment as to his ability due to the length of time he was on the park, however when the ball was punted forward won three headers in the air against taller opponents, who by that time were Dons subs.

Let's not write young guys off too quickly.

I need to laugh hearing about young English  players being better than Scottish. The only difference is size, technically we are just as good. It's embarrassing that we are looking South than within.

I need to laugh hearing about young English  players being better than Scottish. The only difference is size, technically we are just as good. It's embarrassing that we are looking South than within.

As your comment was linked to my post I would like to reply that nowhere in my post have I said that English players are better than Scottish ones, nor have I questioned their size or ability.

In fact Hendrie should be eligible to play for Scotland if he was ever considered.

You are better qualified than me regarding players "within", however I am fully aware that Saints have young talent on their books and take a keen interest in their progress.