Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

18 hours ago, bankfoot saint said:

Starting to think Eetu’s work permit hasn’t come through in time for him to play this weekend nearly 5 on a Friday afternoon and still nothing announced 

You would think all these MP's and SMP's who were backing Saints in May for cup final would get involved and push for a quick decision on work permit or was the focus on trying to influence voters for Scottish Parliament elections.

2 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

You would think all these MP's and SMP's who were backing Saints in May for cup final would get involved and push for a quick decision on work permit or was the focus on trying to influence voters for Scottish Parliament elections.

This is a home office issue, I’d rather my MP attended to more pressing issues in all honesty. 

We lost Conway , Tanser & Melamed & we have replaced them with a couple of young loanees & promoted a youngster to the first team. I don't think that has improved us.

Yes we have Brown & Middleton but they were here last season. Hopefully the Finn is signed & turns out to be the player we hope he is but we are going to struggle this season if we don't add quality.

Lose McCann & we are in trouble.

10 hours ago, Cagey said:

We lost Conway , Tanser & Melamed & we have replaced them with a couple of young loanees & promoted a youngster to the first team. I don't think that has improved us.

Yes we have Brown & Middleton but they were here last season. Hopefully the Finn is signed & turns out to be the player we hope he is but we are going to struggle this season if we don't add quality.

Lose McCann & we are in trouble.

Personally I think we're a bit stronger (or at least have more depth) at the back, as Muller gives us an extra CB option that we didn't have at all last season, and Devine seems to be a reasonable replacement for Tanser. At the other end of the park I agree we're looking a bit weaker, but hopefully Eetu will make a difference to that (I worry that there's going to be a lot of expectation on his shoulders by the time he actually plays, though).

I still think we'll see some transfer activity after Thursday (potentially both in and out), and that the club may well have deals lined up that have been put on hold until we know whether or not we're staying in Europe. I wouldn't be at all surprised if any bidders for McCann (for example) have been told he's effectively not for sale until after Thursday. I also wouldn't be hugely surprised if Hendry moves on.

3 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’m assuming the Vertainen fiasco has had to go to appeal as I’ve just read that Hearts have signed an Aussie and they only applied for his Work Permit a week ago!!! 

Australians can come to the UK and work for 6 months before they apply for a visa. Perhaps, because it is a Commonwealth country, visas take less time.

39 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Australians can come to the UK and work for 6 months before they apply for a visa. Perhaps, because it is a Commonwealth country, visas take less time.

UK-Australia deal is exempt from EU. UK apparently needs Aussie backpackers to serve beer & Australia needs UK backpackers to pick fruit in 45c for £3/hour...

44 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

they can come as a visitor, but they cannot work.  The process for getting a tier 2 work visa is first the player must obtain a Governing Body Endorsement - which for Scotland is the SFA.  Their criteria can be seen here;

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/7508/the-scottish-fa-2020-21-gbe-mens-criteria.pdf

If anyone has any time go through and work out if he even qualifies!

I suspect the delay though is more likely at Saints end and whether they have a sponsorship licence to assign to him in the first place as this is required before applying to the SFA for a GBE certificate.  It used to take about a month to register for a sponsorship licence, and expect this takes longer now.  Once you have active licences the process to add a new licence takes minutes online, but getting the first one takes time.  I can't think of any Saints player in the near past who would have had one, so its likely Saints wouldn't have had this in place (as it costs money!)

6 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Is this the kind of thing WAP Brexiteers envisioned?

No milkshakes in McDonald's and foreign signings tied up in redtape! 

Rumour has it, that once the laddie is Guaranteed a McDonald's milkshake and a Nando's,  the deal should sail through.;)

55 minutes ago, stevensan said:

they can come as a visitor, but they cannot work.  The process for getting a tier 2 work visa is first the player must obtain a Governing Body Endorsement - which for Scotland is the SFA.  Their criteria can be seen here;

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/7508/the-scottish-fa-2020-21-gbe-mens-criteria.pdf

If anyone has any time go through and work out if he even qualifies!

I suspect the delay though is more likely at Saints end and whether they have a sponsorship licence to assign to him in the first place as this is required before applying to the SFA for a GBE certificate.  It used to take about a month to register for a sponsorship licence, and expect this takes longer now.  Once you have active licences the process to add a new licence takes minutes online, but getting the first one takes time.  I can't think of any Saints player in the near past who would have had one, so its likely Saints wouldn't have had this in place (as it costs money!)

SFA gave the okay to Saints a couple of weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

SFA gave the okay to Saints a couple of weeks ago.

I find that hard to believe.  Once a sponsorship licence has been assigned, and a GBE has been issued the only reason for a refusal is if the applicant (the immigrant) fails on the suitability grounds (eg, criminal, poor immigration history, wrong colour ink used on application form etc...) and goes through in a matter of days.

I hired someone from Sri Lanka last month - as we have a sponsorship licence we could immediately assign, and they ticked the box for the GBE, their work visa approval came through within 48 hours.

99% of the time the slow part of the visa process is the company getting approval in the first place, which they need before applying to the SFA for a GBE.

6 hours ago, Gas Monkey said:

Negotiating with the players we already have, not replacements

Thats how I took it, presumably contract extensions. Unless theyve had offers and are waiting on the outcome of tonight and said no offers accepted until after tonight.

It does seem odd that no one has come in for our players. Another reason to win. Money and incentive to stay at our wee club.

Edited by Rob

A few posts through social media SUGGESTING we're about to lose key players now we're out of Europe, not really rocket science that it's a possibility but hopefully just the usual speculation and whispers. No idea how saints sit financially at the moment but if players are to go please make it for the right money and not for a quick buck (I have faith in the board :D ) My concern is the transfer window is near to closing and our squad is already very small, IF we were to lose the players mentioned on social media (McCann, Kerr, Rooney and McCart) then replacing them plus additional players is gonna be a mare anyway but more so due to window closing 

Some Saints fans on twatter suggesting McCann is away purely based on the way he waved to the crowd after the final whistle  :D

As I said all the usual speculation etc etc 

Edited by chips

Heard yesterday that we actually accepted a half million bid from Hibs for Kerr early in the summer. Reportedly they only offered him an extra £500 a week but Kerr said Saints are his team and he didn’t want to sour his relationship with the club for an extra few hundred pounds. 

Reported source of this story was someone who looks awfully like Kerr…