St.Johnstone V Dundee Utd. Saturday 5th Feb

SaintJet

Don't want to put a negative spin on what was a good battling performance but I felt that the second half yesterday really highlighted Davidson's shortcomings. As soon as we went down to 10 men we reverted to our old ways of sitting back on the 18-yard line and letting the opposition come at us in wave after wave. We completely abandoned any sort of pressing game and the only plan seemed to be to hope and pray that they didn't break us down and we could get a point. Completely appreciate that Plan A was destroyed by the red card, but we surely need to have a better Plan B. I think we got a bit lucky that United were poor, otherwise we probably would have been punished.

On the bright side it's clear we've made significant improvements and you could see in the first half how much higher up the park we're trying to play. Hallberg looks like a class act and his quick and clever passing is allowing us to move the ball more quickly through midfield. Hendry is having a big impact too. I just worry that it's not going to be enough. In previous years I'd have taken a 0-0 from that game all day long but in our current predicament single points are just not going to give us what we need.

I feel like we have turned a bit of a corner, the team spirit looks much better and we have certainly added quality to the squad and we even look a bit more threatening upfront. But I agree with what others have said, that we will need to take the game to teams to start turning draws in to wins.

Siegrist had 2 really decent saves and a shot off the underside of the cross bar, the red card unfortunately nullified our attacking intent for most of the 2nd half. With County v Dundee meant this match was 'must not lose'.

Defensively we look really good now Cleary looks a great addition to the squad, good with the ball at his feets, wins headers and seems to like a battle.

For the St Mirren game I would have Sang replacing Hallberg in midfield as we need to try and maintain the quality in midfield, that I don't think we would get from Davidson or MacPherson.

Could’ve easily went gung ho yesterday after the sending off .  Battling performance and could’ve nicked it at the end , take the point and move away from the Dee at the bottom  . Bizarre decisions from the ref . East stand linesman seen nothing first half and everything second half . 
  No idea what represents a push now ……. 2 hands on the back just before the ball gets to you isn’t a foul though . 
  Diving isn’t a booking now either . 

1 hour ago, Jenko82 said:

For the St Mirren game I would have Sang replacing Hallberg in midfield as we need to try and maintain the quality in midfield, that I don't think we would get from Davidson or MacPherson.

I think we might see Sang replace Brown instead. I like Brown but don't think he poses enough attacking threat or is a good enough crosser to be used at right wing-back. With Hendry up top now we really need to be getting some good crosses into the box and I've noticed in both of the last two games Hendry looking a bit frustrated with the balls Brown has been sending him.

That probably means MacPherson in for Hallberg (especially as he might feel he has a point to prove against his old team).

Hallberg's only been here for a couple of games but his absence already worries me - he seems really crucial to our new way of playing.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Don't want to put a negative spin on what was a good battling performance but I felt that the second half yesterday really highlighted Davidson's shortcomings. As soon as we went down to 10 men we reverted to our old ways of sitting back on the 18-yard line and letting the opposition come at us in wave after wave. We completely abandoned any sort of pressing game and the only plan seemed to be to hope and pray that they didn't break us down and we could get a point. Completely appreciate that Plan A was destroyed by the red card, but we surely need to have a better Plan B. I think we got a bit lucky that United were poor, otherwise we probably would have been punished.

On the bright side it's clear we've made significant improvements and you could see in the first half how much higher up the park we're trying to play. Hallberg looks like a class act and his quick and clever passing is allowing us to move the ball more quickly through midfield. Hendry is having a big impact too. I just worry that it's not going to be enough. In previous years I'd have taken a 0-0 from that game all day long but in our current predicament single points are just not going to give us what ne need.

Undecided if we got a draw because we were defensive after the sending off or because United are crap.

Think Crawford and May were doing ok and they didn't need to subbed. We needed to shore up the midfield but why McPherson. It was calling out for Middleton or someone with pace to latch on clearances .We never had that when May and Crawford went off.

Davidson was wanting to hold on to a point. That might have been the right decision. We will never know but negativity comes to mind.

I think our coaching staff are tactically inept.

18 hours ago, Rob said:

I can see it was a shirt tug but a soft yellow card that resulted in the sending off and spoiled the game. If you booked players for every little shirt tug then there would be no players left on the field. Hallberg was kicked in the ankle from behind and was frustrated at not been given the foul. The shirt tug didnt stop the game, Utd went on and had a decent chance. It was a stupid decision by the ref for which there was no need.

The second booking was ridiculous, to flash a yellow at a player for a wee tug knowing full well it was in fact a red is poor refereeing.  More appropriate would have been a "watch yourself chum you are already on a yellow" lecture. 

Didn't register with me live but seeing the highlights at night made me wonder if the ref had it in for Hallberg who protested that his first booking was his first foul and seemed to continue with his complaints after the card had been shown.  Did he say a bit too much and the ref was waiting for a chance to get his own back?

3 hours ago, Jenko82 said:

I thought the same yesterday, his tackling, closing down and ability to get about the pitch can certainly add to the team

May has looked more and more like he'd be better playing as a midfielder for ages now. He'll always work hard. Think with all our new forwards and when Kane comes back he will possibly lose his position.

3 hours ago, south inch said:

The second booking was ridiculous, to flash a yellow at a player for a wee tug knowing full well it was in fact a red is poor refereeing.  More appropriate would have been a "watch yourself chum you are already on a yellow" lecture. 

Didn't register with me live but seeing the highlights at night made me wonder if the ref had it in for Hallberg who protested that his first booking was his first foul and seemed to continue with his complaints after the card had been shown.  Did he say a bit too much and the ref was waiting for a chance to get his own back?

At the first booking Hallberg was pointing out it was his first tackle and then he started pointing his finger at the ref. Not a good move.

Do the club no longer fine players for booking or sending offs.

18 hours ago, chips said:

Maybe should try throwing May into more of a midfield role and free up a place for another attacker 

I think May would do well in the position Crawford's currently playing in.

Looking back, Derek McInnes often played him in that sort of role for Aberdeen and I think he'd spotted even back then that May was no longer a prolific striker but he has a lot to offer a bit further back.

18 hours ago, south inch said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Hallberg was clearly not fit and was breathing out his arse early on. The first booking was maybe soft but definitely a booking. That's all anyone needs as a warning. As soon as he tugged the guy's shoulder I said " he's off" and I wasn't surprised when he went.

On a positive note Halberg looked good and once he's match fit he'll be a good addition.

2 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

Hallberg looked very good and for the first time since McCann left we had a midfielder who can link between defence and attack. I am not sure if his red card can be appealed on the basis that advantage was played. There appeared to be a hand on his shoulder before he then laid a hand on the United player. 

You can't appeal yellow cards.

4 hours ago, SaintJet said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Hallberg was clearly not fit and was breathing out his arse early on. The first booking was maybe soft but definitely a booking. That's all anyone needs as a warning. As soon as he tugged the guy's shoulder I said " he's off" and I wasn't surprised when he went.

On a positive note Halberg looked good and once he's match fit he'll be a good addition.

Oh well between us we have him off.  I thought the first booking was fully justified, not in the least soft.