The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

The Browns have often talked in the past about having a "rainy day fund" so I guess that's partly what's being used.

As you say, it's just a shame that the club only ever seems to spend when it's to get us out of a hole, rather than to build on success. When we win cups and play in Europe, and have the opportunity to attract some genuinely good players who could perhaps help to kick us on a level, managers get nothing. When we're in danger of going down, the money appears. That was even true way back in the 90s when we splashed out on Billy Dodds to try to save our skin (and failed).

My worry about this is that we aren’t spending the money to get out of a hole, we are spending money to give Callum a better digger to make the hole even bigger.

Our transfer strategy baffles me, I think Clark might be an ok signing and face it, he doesn’t have to be that good to be better than what we have, but to be paying a fee for him and a 3 year deal, no resale value and unlikely a 31 year old has a lot of room for further improvement. When I first heard we were going for Clark, I presumed Utd wanted rid and he was available for free. Don’t know how reliable but people saying around 100k

Going back to this hole, we will still need to spend to get out of it in the future, it will cost to get rid of all these guys on long deals when we finally get round to a new manager, unless of course Callum’s still here for the next 3 years, feck, that’s a thought. It scares me what our team is likely to look like next year.

Edited by Strawman

22 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think only having two strikers so far this season has caused a real problem (obviously there's the quality issue, but quantity has been part of it too). If just one of them gets injured or suspended, we're left with only one striker. And if we want to play two strikers at once (I know, I know), then we're left without a striker on the bench.

Our attacking options on the bench have been really poor this season and for me we've desperately needed an extra striker. If May goes, then I'd say we need to bring in another one to replace him.

I know we still have Kane too on top of all this, but it seems he may well be out for quite some time yet. And ideally MOH would have been an extra option up front but who knows what's going on there.

I see what you're saying, but I would always go for quality over quantity. 

I'd suggest that in each position you need 2 players who can play there comfortably, and a third who do it at a push. Obviously a striker is a bit different, as Davidson may put 2 up front if chasing the game. I'd still suggest 3 natural strikers is enough.

Put it this way: if you're playing 1 main striker every week, and occasionally throwing on a second, and you have (say) Cosgrove in that position, with Clark and Kane on the bench, what do you do with Bair and May? What do they really offer when they wouldn't even make the bench?

16 minutes ago, Strawman said:

My worry about this is that we aren’t spending the money to get out of a hole, we are spending money to give Callum a better digger to make the hole even bigger.

Our transfer strategy baffles me, I think Clark might be an ok signing and face it, he doesn’t have to be that good to be better than what we have, but to be paying a fee for him and a 3 year deal, no resale value and unlikely a 31 year old has a lot of room for further improvement. When I first heard we were going for Clark, I presumed Utd wanted rid and he was available for free. Don’t know how reliable but people saying around 100k

Going back to this hole, we will still need to spend to get out of it in the future, it will cost to get rid of all these guys on long deals when we finally get round to a new manager, unless of course Callum’s still here for the next 3 years, feck, that’s a thought. It scares me what our team is likely to look like next year.

Indeed. Clark is a good signing, if he was free and on a 1 year deal. With a fee and 3 years is just baffling. What are we going to do with him when he's 34? I wonder whether Davidson feels that the only way we can attract players at the moment is offer them the security of a long deal, when other clubs wouldn't, but it stinks of kicking the problem down the road for the next manager to pick up.

19 minutes ago, Strawman said:

That's the scary part. Championship football with a squad of 20 odd players on premiership wages.

47 minutes ago, stevensan said:

A competent management would have inserted relegation release clauses...

Thats what worries me...

To look on the bright side, at some point this season we could field:

Matthews

McGowan     Gordon       Considine     Booth

MacPherson

Wotherspoon        Hallberg

Carey 

Clark         Kane

Bench: Sinclair, Brown, Gallagher, Phillips, Wright, Murphy, Bair

Back up: Mahon, Davidson, Kucheriavyi, Ballantyne, Ferguson, Sandford

I suspect that team/squad would keep us in touch with the other relegation candidates until January/February time.

We must try to get rid of Parish, Montgomery, Mitchell, Crawford, Phillips, O’Halloran, May, Gilmour and Vertainen… get those 9 off the wage bill and bring in 3 players of real quality in January.

We need a Chris Millar, a Dave Mackay and a Frazer Wright.

9 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Matthews

MacPherson

Carey 

Clark         Kane

I suspect that team/squad would keep us in touch with the other relegation candidates until January/February time.

We must try to get rid of Parish, Montgomery, Mitchell, Crawford, Phillips, O’Halloran, May, Gilmour and Vertainen… get those 9 off the wage bill and bring in 3 players of real quality in January.

There's Masters League teams with more pace.

52 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Think it’s a bit harsh to write Phillips off just yet. As for Montgomery and Mitchell, the latter has been that impressive, I suspect he’ll be recalled in January, and the former’s loan deal expires in January. Crawford is the only player on that list with a contract beyond the summer…

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Matthews

MacPherson

Carey 

Clark         Kane

Mitchell is decent 

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

But up until this week we only had two fit strikers, and it clearly wasn't enough. Getting rid of May puts us back to only having two.

I would be very shocked if May got moved on, just can't believe that would happen. Scored opener against ICT, scored last min in our only win of the season. Personally think he is played in the wrong position now.

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Matthews

MacPherson

Carey 

Clark         Kane

Are you actually serious on what you say. Try get rid. Three of them have just been signed by the club. Others given extensions. Then Montgomery is on load. Don’t need to try get rid on Montgomery just send him back. But he isn’t doing to bad. Parish has just extended so won’t get rid.

12 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Matthews

MacPherson

Carey 

Clark         Kane

You would be about the only option worse than Clum. With all due respect.:)

10 hours ago, Rob said:

I would be very shocked if May got moved on, just can't believe that would happen. Scored opener against ICT, scored last min in our only win of the season. Personally think he is played in the wrong position now.

Agree about May being used in the wrong position. I'd use him further back on the pitch, but we're now overloaded with other players vying for the same sort of roles.

Have to say I'm baffled by the number of people on here who seem to rate Bair more highly than May. May brings far more to the team when he's on the pitch.

9 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Are you actually serious on what you say. Try get rid. Three of them have just been signed by the club. Others given extensions. Then Montgomery is on load. Don’t need to try get rid on Montgomery just send him back. But he isn’t doing to bad. Parish has just extended so won’t get rid.

Why would we get rid of Montgomery at all when he was brought in to cover for two injured players who are still injured?

So do people think we'll get another arrival today? Who's the 34-year-old ex Hibs/United/Aberdeen/etc midfielder who CD wants to make the final piece (until the next one) of his one-paced geriatric jigsaw?

Any of these guys take anyone's fancy? A four-year contract for Lee Wallace, maybe?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62468822

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

So do people think we'll get another arrival today? Who's the 34-year-old ex Hibs/United/Aberdeen/etc midfielder who CD wants to make the final piece (until the next one) of his one-paced geriatric jigsaw?

Any of these guys take anyone's fancy? A four-year contract for Lee Wallace, maybe?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62468822

Snodgrass allegedly according to reports in last weeks Sunday Mail.