Saints v Ross County, 17th Sep 2022

blueheaven

7 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Think we tired a bit in second half. Hallberg and Murphy dropped off a bit. Thought Drey was our best player but didn't have the impact we needed in the second half.

Clark as well. That's the problem with signing old players and having a manager that can't see they are toiling.

How they only got 2 bookings I will never know , they blocked off Wright at least twice. May twice. Shirt pull back twice and Gordon was grappled to the ground in penelty area. Rookie ref seemed to think rugby tackles are ok in Scottish football.

Hope his supervisor was taking not. All Saints bookings were deserved btw.

Good point but three there for the taking, do look a better team than last year, but still something missing in it all, can see why Liam Gordon hasn’t been starting his distribution is guff, aimless punts all day, defensively he is sound, but when he has been out we haven’t had the long ball so much and tried to play from the back a bit more. But go to tannadice and win and opens up a 8 point gap on the north fifer/Angus fermers!

Edited by crieffsaintandy

1 hour ago, templeofsaints said:

Think we tired a bit in second half. Hallberg and Murphy dropped off a bit. Thought Drey was our best player but didn't have the impact we needed in the second half.

I’d have put McLennan on for Murphy instead of Ali, missed a glorious chance too,clean sheet a positive,and first half too

Defence look really comfortable. That back 3 looked good together. All talking to each other constantly. Agree with previous comment though that Gordon's distribution was poor but defensively he was excellent.

Both wing backs put in a real shift but end product was minimal. Still some flashes of positive play though.

May looks a different player with Clark up front

Substitutions surprised me,Hallberg seemed knacked during the 2nd half.

All in all a good result. That County team are no pushover and I'd say we were the better team.

Would love to see a replay of the incidents where May was blocked from pressuing the keeper. They seemed stick on fouls.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, Willie Peat said:

In a democracy everyone is entitled to voice their opinion but I would strongly appeal to those with anti-monarchy sympathies to keep quiet on Saturday and respect the solemnity of the occasion. Any protesting or bad behaviour displayed will only reflect badly on our club. I was at Saints cup-tie with Queen of the South which was played at Muirton Park only three days after King George VI died in 1952. There was a two minute silence, all the players on both sides wore black arm bands and the pipe band played the hymn "Abide With Me" (not the National Anthem).  Perhaps something similar  on Saturday would be appropriate.

Aye, well said. The ultimate  answer is in the ballot box. 

I thought the club made the right decision in opting for a minutes applause rather than a silence. It is hard to disrupt an applause whereas it only takes one person to disrupt a silence. I also thought that FCU got their opposition to it just right coming in immediately after (or were they just late arriving). I am just glad we were not playing one of the ugly sisters on Saturday.

6 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

I thought the club made the right decision in opting for a minutes applause rather than a silence. It is hard to disrupt an applause whereas it only takes one person to disrupt a silence. I also thought that FCU got their opposition to it just right coming in immediately after (or were they just late arriving). I am just glad we were not playing one of the ugly sisters on Saturday.

The minutes applause played into the hands of the green brigade who sang " if you hate the royal family clap your hands ".

Why would the FCU hate the queen ?.

Edited by Cagey

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

The minutes applause played into the hands of the green brigade who sang " if you hate the royal family clap your hands ".

Why would the FCU hate the queen ?.

The green brigade thankfully had no input to what happened at McDiarmid so your first point is irrelevant to what I said.

At no point did I say the FCU hate the queen.

However the green brigade are now becoming an embarrassment to Scottish football surely it is not beyond Celtics capability to do something about it.

2 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

The green brigade thankfully had no input to what happened at McDiarmid so your first point is irrelevant to what I said.

At no point did I say the FCU hate the queen.

However the green brigade are now becoming an embarrassment to Scottish football surely it is not beyond Celtics capability to do something about it.

I was basically making the point that I didn't think the minutes applause was a good idea and it was highjacked by morons. Would much rather have had a minute's silence .

12 hours ago, Cagey said:

I was basically making the point that I didn't think the minutes applause was a good idea and it was highjacked by morons. Would much rather have had a minute's silence .

I take it you're referring to the Celtic game rather than the Saints game here? I thought the minute's applause went perfectly on Saturday and it demonstrated why Saints went for that option. Those who wanted to clap, clapped, and those of us who didn't want to, didn't. I'm just really glad we weren't playing either of the OF on Saturday.

As for the football - I get the impression others saw it a lot more positively than I did, so hopefully everyone else's view is right and I'm just stuck in my scepticism. I just can't help but feel that we have no ambition at all to win games like this any more. We were playing at home against one of the few teams below us in the league and yet we managed one shot on target and had less than 50% of the possession. What's worse is that I suspect Callum is probably completely happy with a 0-0 draw. And as is so often the case, we got worse in the second half because the opposition adapted to the game better than we did. The pattern of these games is incredibly predictable.

On the bright side, I thought Crawford had his best game in a while, and both wing-backs played well too. And we do look difficult to score against with this back line.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

As for the football - I get the impression others saw it a lot more positively than I did, so hopefully everyone else's view is right and I'm just stuck in my scepticism. I just can't help but feel that we have no ambition at all to win games like this any more. We were playing at home against one of the few teams below us in the league and yet we managed one shot on target and had less than 50% of the possession. What's worse is that I suspect Callum is probably completely happy with a 0-0 draw. And as is so often the case, we got worse in the second half because the opposition adapted to the game better than we did. The pattern of these games is incredibly predictable.

I agree, but this happens when a team is low on confidence. Players are worried about losing what they have, so they don't want to commit too much. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful.

I thought from these 4 fixtures, we needed a minimum of 7 points, but 9 would show we'd really turned a corner. The Killie game being postponed changes things a little, but if we get a point against Dundee Utd, that would be 5 from 3 games, which isn't relegation-worthy at least. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:51 AM, sixties saintee said:

Just wait till your new Duke o Inverness turns up.:shock:

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be rid of British Imperial titles and all those that regale themselves in an outdated, classist, racist system.