WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

I think we may be entering into a phase of short term managers i.e. 12 months or less at a time.

The next manager is unlikely to excite us as fans but we're in a mire and need someone decent who is out of a job. Long term unemployed are probably that for a reason so looking at someone recently sacked....shortens the list a bit.

Personally not bothered about charisma with the media so long as next appointment can galvanise the squad and bring some smiles back to the pitch.

2 hours ago, Aitchy said:

Personality and charisma are important and the likes of Totten and Coyle had that in abundance, but it’s not everything. Seen numerous managers with charisma, but if they aren’t getting results, it dosent mean a thing. We need someone who knows the league and who will improve us quickly.

Im not convinced by Martindale, but I think he would be interested if we made an approach. What else can he do at Livi? We have a bigger budget, bigger fan base and bigger potential. 

I would worry about Lennons personality as well, but to suggest he would be a disaster is a bit dramatic. His career shows that it usually takes a few seasons until a meltdown is incoming. I think he would improve us and would hit the ground running.

Names I don’t want anywhere near us include Jack Ross, Billy Dodds, John Hughes and Neil McCann.

Yeah the best man for the job is the best man, but I feel like it needs to be someone who gets fans and players bonding again. Everythings felt toxic for a while now.

Lennon seems to struggle defensively when managing weaker sides, I'm not sure he could turn us around based on previous jobs hes had.

If we're looking domestically Martindales the standout, unless we're going young then its McCabe.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Yeah the best man for the job is the best man, but I feel like it needs to be someone who gets fans and players bonding again. Everythings felt toxic for a while now.

Lennon seems to struggle defensively when managing weaker sides, I'm not sure he could turn us around based on previous jobs hes had.

If we're looking domestically Martindales the standout, unless we're going young then its McCabe.

Martindale has had a rather poor last year, I can't imagine he would do the job required. I do know a few Livi fans that would be delighted to get rid of him.

Lots of washed up names flying about .....so Nigel Pearson just been sacked at Bristol how no him (joke ok), same with Scott Brown is not a manager, Jody Morris is not a manager, Michael Beale is not a manager..... Dodds is , but has had it, Martindale same.... Nielson is the only one being mentioned who is not a donkey.

image.jpeg.4afe7eb29f776f615c531676ba569881.jpeg

Edited by MySpazz

It's all very well to say he or she needs experience.  In my opinion, it is the ability to improve the players, blend a team which is more important to us.  Why have the usual suspects failed?  In most cases it was the lack of building a team.  Now some have had dreadful backing but mostly it's because they talk a good game but can't do the walk. 

No one heard of Wenger or Postegoglou.   Whoever has to improve the team, have a pattern of play which fits the players we have.  Does not tinker so partnerships build.  

The status of the manager does not concern me only their ability.  Of the names mentioned here only Leam Richardson would fit what we need.  Fantasy perhaps but the usual suspects don't instil any confidence.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Guy on p&b says Scott Burns saying it's between Martindale , Nielson and Dodds.

Sometimes an ITK journalist but think it's just guess work.

Saw the article - definitely feels more like a summary of names gleaned from looking around social media this afternoon more than anything else.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

😢 image.jpeg.d42904c8d92b525bbae804b9e3c9687c.jpeg

That doesn't tell the full story.

It's that last line that's the important one.

That was when Wigan were in administration and didn't know if they were going to exist the following week.

He managed to cobble together a team of what was left of the youth squad that hadn't been sold off, and a bunch of free agents, including by the way, Luke Robinson and Viv Solomon-Otabor.

The fact that he managed to avoid relegation with that ragtag lot, and with a game to spare is a massive achievement.

With new owners and a proper budget, he won the league the following season.

Rather than me going on about it, you can read all about it here if you're interested.

Leam Richardson: How Wigan Athletic boss avoided oblivion and led them to League One title - BBC Sport

He, for me, is the absolute dream appointment.

Experience, quality, good in a relegation fight, great at building a team and also winning titles.

But as @Northern saint says above, it's probably all fantasy.

It's nice to dream though...

Well, it's been fun going through the careers of various managers, but in the real world, the three candidates mentioned in the newspapers are realistically the only viable options. 

I think Eric Nicolson gave us a big hint in both the names and the order that he put them in, in his piece about a replacement. 

1: Martindale 

2: Neilson 

3: Dodds 

4: Morris 

I reckon that's the list the board has. 

If they can't get Martindale, then they'll go to Neilson, and so on. 

Jody is probably not an option right now because of his inexperience in the position we're in. 

And if this were the order, it'd never get to him because Dodds would definitely take the job. 

I know Stan says that he's not going to rush, but equally he, and the board, will want somebody in as soon as possible and I've no doubt they'll already know who that is. 

Neilson has experience in winning leagues and doing well in a well performing team. I'm not sure how he'd handle the pressure of a relegation fight. 

I don't think Dodds is as bad as people think, but I also don't think he's the answer. 

Morris, too much of a risk at this time. 

As for the rest people are suggesting... 

McCabe, too young and like MacLean, not ready. 

Murray, not for the position we're in, and he’s doing very well where he is. 

So many others talked about as well, but in reality, it's down to three. 

And it all points to Martindale. 

He has experience, not only of the league, but also getting the best out of a team with a restricted budget. 

He seems to be able to find a decent player from nowhere and get the best out of them. 

He looked properly fed up in his Sportscene interview and I think he'd welcome the chance of a fresh challenge and to escape being known only as "Mr. Livingston". 

He's not working under a contract, so no compensation is needed, and he can move right away. 

Plus, it all seems to have gone a bit stale there. 

It wasn't so long ago that he was being touted for jobs here and in England. 

I know Rangers fans wanted him before Beale, and I read that he turned down Fleetwood and Bradford. 

On Saturday, I would never have thought about him as a possible replacement, but now, it's actually starting to make sense. 

And from the hints that are being dropped by those "in the know"... 

...it's going to be Martindale, isn't it?

8 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Martindale has had a rather poor last year, I can't imagine he would do the job required. I do know a few Livi fans that would be delighted to get rid of him.

I think hes like TW, in that he'll have spells of poor form but always finds a way out it to keep his side going.

Guess the issue is would him joining us be like TW joining Killie?

7 hours ago, Gekko said:

Well, it's been fun going through the careers of various managers, but in the real world, the three candidates mentioned in the newspapers are realistically the only viable options. 

I think Eric Nicolson gave us a big hint in both the names and the order that he put them in, in his piece about a replacement. 

1: Martindale 

2: Neilson 

3: Dodds 

4: Morris 

I reckon that's the list the board has. 

If they can't get Martindale, then they'll go to Neilson, and so on. 

Jody is probably not an option right now because of his inexperience in the position we're in. 

And if this were the order, it'd never get to him because Dodds would definitely take the job. 

I know Stan says that he's not going to rush, but equally he, and the board, will want somebody in as soon as possible and I've no doubt they'll already know who that is. 

Neilson has experience in winning leagues and doing well in a well performing team. I'm not sure how he'd handle the pressure of a relegation fight. 

I don't think Dodds is as bad as people think, but I also don't think he's the answer. 

Morris, too much of a risk at this time. 

As for the rest people are suggesting... 

McCabe, too young and like MacLean, not ready. 

Murray, not for the position we're in, and he’s doing very well where he is. 

So many others talked about as well, but in reality, it's down to three. 

And it all points to Martindale. 

He has experience, not only of the league, but also getting the best out of a team with a restricted budget. 

He seems to be able to find a decent player from nowhere and get the best out of them. 

He looked properly fed up in his Sportscene interview and I think he'd welcome the chance of a fresh challenge and to escape being known only as "Mr. Livingston". 

He's not working under a contract, so no compensation is needed, and he can move right away. 

Plus, it all seems to have gone a bit stale there. 

It wasn't so long ago that he was being touted for jobs here and in England. 

I know Rangers fans wanted him before Beale, and I read that he turned down Fleetwood and Bradford. 

On Saturday, I would never have thought about him as a possible replacement, but now, it's actually starting to make sense. 

And from the hints that are being dropped by those "in the know"... 

...it's going to be Martindale, isn't it?

I'd be happy enough with Martindale Let's be honest we're not going to get anyone better!

Jody Morris is inexperienced, but just think of the lift it would bring, as it did when we saw him sign as a player. On his arrival, we were open mouthed, many thinking he was way past his best before date, and a journeyman after an easy pay day. 

We were wrong, and we were very wrong. He strolled it in Perth and was a very good watch. He would be my choice. 

Martindale, Nielson or Dodds it is then. 

Edited by Saintdunc

From the BBC

Saints keen on Martindale - gossip

St Johnstone CEO Stan Harris could explore a move for Livingston manager David Martindale after sacking Steven MacLean. (Scottish Sun)

Former Heart of Midlothian manager Robbie Neilson and ex-Inverness boss Billy Dodds are set to be discussed by the Saints board in addition to Martindale. (Daily Record)

Jody Morris, a fans favourite from the Derek McInnes era at St Johnstone, could be an alternative, although his one management post - at Swindon Town - lasted 18 games, one fewer than MacLean's at McDiarmid Park. (The Courier)

St Johnstone could turn to former Celtic and Hibernian manager Neil Lennon to replace MacLean. (The Herald)

The one hope I have is that Geoff will be involved in this next step. I think everyone needs a reality check and better be prepared for the worst. I don't think anyone is turning this around and we're getting relegated!

We need an experienced manager to come in and put a plan in place so we can return quickly becasue make no mistake if we don't come straight back up we will be lost for years.

I've got to think that some experienced manager will be able to sort out our defence which is frankly the worst I've seen in the league for years. We can use this season to identify which players from this squad might be able to continue in the future.

Davie Martindale might be interested if for no other reason he'll know that we can be a stable club if we get things right on the park and if he did the unthinkable and keep us up his stock would rise again.

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Why on earth would Martindale leave his settled, long-term job to come to the absolute mess that is Saints?

Livi fans have been hounding him, Livis clubs finances are tied up in court cases, and theres debate over who even owns them just now.

Maybe time to try something new.