WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

13 hours ago, GOB10 said:

Absolutely nothing to do with snobbery! We as a club have prided ourselves through the years as a family club hence the reason we closed the door on two strikers that stepped out of they lines. We are proud to have nothing to do with some of the nonsense that goes on with other clubs in the spl. We dont need the Circus of a ex gangster rolling into town!. Honestly dont understand people getting uptight with others who are not wanting him at the club! Hes a half decent manager who now looks like he is on the decline.. is he really worth dividing a fan base over? Not in my eyes.

Dear Oh dear....

"Ex Gangster....."

Please just say you don't want the guy instead of spouting a load of nonesense.

16 hours ago, Gekko said:

If Neilson did a half decent job, the first whiff of a bigger club and he'd be off like a shot.

Is this not true of pretty much any candidate?

I've got no problem with a manager having career ambitions. If that's what drives them and it leads to Saints doing well then we'll have benefitted from that. If a manager gets poached it means they've done a good job. I'm totally fine with that.

6 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Why would we be interested in Billy Dodds when he spent the last couple of seasons failing to get ICT out of the Championship and ended up being sacked for taking them to the bottom of that league? We'd be as well sticking with Macca if that was the plan.

The reasons you've given are why I, tongue in cheek, think we'll go for Dodds. The club hasn't really had the best couple of years in terms of being run behind the scenes.

I really would prefer someone with no connection to the club, we're not Rangers, I'd welcome some totally left field, mental appointment. Better to go down with some real craziness than a known entity playing 5 at the back with guff hoofball, drawing our way to relegation.

6 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Awful lot of big assumptions being made here. Martindale has said what he's said because he's currently employed by another club. You might be right on Lennon but you don't know what he'd say yes or no to. A lot of people probably would have said Duncan Ferguson would have said no, but he's gone and taken a job at the bottom of the league below us. Some people were saying McInnes would say no to us and yet he also ended up taking a championship job.

Agree with you on Healy and I think he'd be a fantastic appointment, but he's had opportunities to take far better-paying jobs in England and hasn't gone. I'd be surprised if he would give up what he has at Linfield to come and struggle here.

Don't see this postition being of interest to Lenny. We're not high profile enough and he knows he's probably a few bad 'Sheep' results away from being in the frame at Pittodrie. 

Some of our best appointments have usually come with Geoff's direction and so it won't suprise me if it's someone we're not thinking about. Most candidates will know what they are going to be working worth here ( Present playing staff ) so that will have a bearing on who might want the job.

I'd take Martindale in a heartbeat.

10 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Dear Oh dear....

"Ex Gangster....."

Please just say you don't want the guy instead of spouting a load of nonesense.

I'll be honest, not too keen on Martindale. Nothing to do with his past, if anything it's a good story and an inspiration to many in Scotland who are not lucky enough to avoid that sort of thing with where and how they are brought up.

I just have a feeling he's one of these managers who fits one club and has success but will bomb at another. I have a sneaky suspicion he perhaps thinks this too.

3 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

The reasons you've given are why I, tongue in cheek, think we'll go for Dodds. The club hasn't really had the best couple of years in terms of being run behind the scenes.

I really would prefer someone with no connection to the club, we're not Rangers, I'd welcome some totally left field, mental appointment. Better to go down with some real craziness than a known entity playing 5 at the back with guff hoofball, drawing our way to relegation.

Sorry Mike, crazy football doesn't cut it in the Scottish premier; we have what we have player wise and we need someone to come in and spark the team. Hoofing our way out of this mess to safety - sign me up!

I'm hanging all hope on on how Kettle came in at 'Well when they were certain relegation candidates and transformed a team of haddy's in to a team very close to making Europe.

17 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Can I ask why? 

He's a fiery personality but, IMO, we need to take that gamble. The whole place needs galvanised and Norman Normal won't cut it.

I think fiery can be a good thing if used in the right way and at the right time. I'm not convinced Lennon would even know where to start if he walked into a club like Saints. Does he have any experience of working with a budget like ours? He'd have to turn things around quickly, using more-or-less the squad he inherits, and then scrabble around for bargain basement signings. We know how frustrated other managers have found the way this club works with recruitment. Would Lennon be able to handle that?

Perhaps you're right and his kind of personality is what Saints actually need. If that turned out to be the case then brilliant. But in general I'm unconvinced by these ex-Old Firm types who probably demand a huge salary on account of having Celtic or Rangers on their CVs. Scott Brown's another one I've seen people talking up, apparently based on very little other than the media's love for him because he used to play for Celtic. If it was up to me we'd steer well clear of all of these kind of guys.

19 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

If guff hoofball can drag us up the league I'd be 100% fine with that. Style of play is probably the least important factor for me right now. We just need to do whatever we can to stay up.

16 hours ago, Gekko said:

The fact the bookies odds have dropped so dramatically is also telling. These guys have contacts and like many journalists, they know what's going on. They don't like to be caught out. Especially McBookies on a Scottish market.

That being the case, it's interesting that they have Jody Morris and Tommy Wright as their joint-second favourites.

I have said on numerous occasions I like how Brighton have built a very successful club.  If you take the time to look at their coaching structures, you'll see how detailed it is.  Now I'm aware budget wise, we are minnows.  How I'd love a set piece coach and athletic coach as we fail in both areas.  

I'm not for ex-old Firm players as our managers.  Very few have been successful but the media hype on them is unreal.  I would not go for Billy Dodds as whenever I've heard him comment on Saints it's always a put down.  

Totally left field and probably should have me seen by medical professionals but how about Billy Reid, coach under Graham Potter at Brighton and Chelsea.

Edited by Northern saint

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think fiery can be a good thing if used in the right way and at the right time. I'm not convinced Lennon would even know where to start if he walked into a club like Saints. Does he have any experience of working with a budget like ours? He'd have to turn things around quickly, using more-or-less the squad he inherits, and then scrabble around for bargain basement signings. We know how frustrated other managers have found the way this club works with recruitment. Would Lennon be able to handle that?

Perhaps you're right and his kind of personality is what Saints actually need. If that turned out to be the case then brilliant. But in general I'm unconvinced by these ex-Old Firm types who probably demand a huge salary on account of having Celtic or Rangers on their CVs. Scott Brown's another one I've seen people talking up, apparently based on very little other than the media's love for him because he used to play for Celtic. If it was up to me we'd steer well clear of all of these kind of guys.

In fairness, was he not at Bolton when their financial troubles began to kick in? He’s said he’s not interested anyway so a moot point on my part. 

Edited by PSJ.84

We need to get away from the media driven drivel,  always the same, they come up with the same names to cause a bit of a headline.    This appointment has to be spot on and be our boards/Geoff/Stan decision , without outside influence.   Just for once go left of field and get someone in who will get us out of the shitehole we are in.

36 minutes ago, chips said:

Movement in the McBookie market 

Martindale odds drop slightly to 2/1

Broony takes a big leap up the board from 16/1 to 6/1 Somebody's lamping money on him 

Screenshot_20231031_103254_Chrome.jpg

Did I not read somewhere that Lennon said that Saints weren't for him right now but his mate 'Broonie' would be a good fit. 

On 10/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, SaintJet said:

The one hope I have is that Geoff will be involved in this next step. I think everyone needs a reality check and better be prepared for the worst. I don't think anyone is turning this around and we're getting relegated!

Does Geoff Brown really have that sort of knowledge of today's football scene to be able to make that call? No doubting that back in the day he had a good eye for a manager but I think that came from him being a very hands-on chairman who knew a lot of people in the game and had the measure of who the good characters coming through at other clubs were. Going out and getting Paul Sturrock, when I don't think the media had touted him for the job at all, was a big example of that. But does GB really have that same finger on the pulse now? Football changes quickly and he's had a back-seat for quite a long time now.

4 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Did I not read somewhere that Lennon said that Saints weren't for him right now but his mate 'Broonie' would be a good fit. 

Here's what Lennon actually said about the Saints job if people want to make their own minds up. I wouldn't say it's entirely true that he's completely ruled himself out, but he does seem to be distancing himself from it.

1 hour ago, chips said:

Movement in the McBookie market 

Martindale odds drop slightly to 2/1

Broony takes a big leap up the board from 16/1 to 6/1 Somebody's lamping money on him 

Screenshot_20231031_103254_Chrome.jpg

Nobody on that jumps out to me and says go for him but don't ask me who I want as I haven't a ****in clue.

I don't see any females on list.