Richard Brittain

john1962

Should of been done more private if there was real underlying reason for him having a change of heart! Either he comes and plays or county pay £200,00. Seems fair since he should respect the club and the contract he's signed

I would say it is up to Brittain to stump up any compensation, unless County are willing to provide that for him.  Why would they want to pay 200k for a player who should of just signed a new contract or waited until the summer to commit to anybody (in their eyes anyway)?

The 200k is open to debate anyway though, I mean, what can you actually put a value on? The lawyers time in drafting the PCA.....travel in bringing the player to Perth for discussions (I assume) but, players missed out on etc can't really be valued.  Who's to say we'd of signed any of the other players we looked at before/stopped looking at once RB had put pen to paper?

Lomas has called on fans to refrain from boo-ing Britain. I agree.

Would be more beneficial if we chanted

"Britain" is a Saintee..............

A) if he changes his mind again....it will make him feel wanted.

B) if he hasn't changed his mind ..may put him off his game.

Come to think of it, A) could also put him off his game.

Guest Mongy Max

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-midfielder-richard-brittain-1838711

Got a few points on this:

1. If it is family reasons, surely Saints can legally ask for proof of this. (If its through illness or bereavement fair enough)

but if its because his wife doesn't want to move the family, Saints can give him hard proof of Jody Morris, Michael Dubeery and Rowan Vine who have much more football pedigree than Brittain, and say these guys all made a far greater sacrifice than you. Their families are in London, yours are a two hour drive away. Also, he is from Bathgate so I assume most of his family reside there. I personally see no "personal reason" for Saints to allow him to turn his back on the deal.

Edit to add: personal reasons is any easy out for people, and the reason saints should demand proof of his personal reasons are to see they are genuine and not that he personally wants more money, as that is not a valid reason to break a contract.

2. If the contract is torn up, Saints should ask for damages from the player. We made a serious financial commitment to him and his future, turning down other players in favour of him. So in essence we have lost out twice due to his decision. If we do tear it up, I would want Saints to ensure that he went to Ross County for that two years, and not Sevoc as is rumoured. Would Saints be allowed to demand this?

3. If he does go down the route of Bosman, I would warn caution. Did anyone trust that player ever again? Did his career benefit from his actions, or did he go to shit? Richard Brittain has a great reputation as a leader and excellent player, all I will remember him for was being a liar, two faced, spineless and a money grabber. (If he rips up the deal)

Think wisely Mr Brittain.

Edited by Mongy Max

Let's face it, Brittain has merely requested that his P.C.A be ripped up for family reasons.

Until he says that he is not prepared to honour his P.C.A. everything else is speculation and some

comments on here have been O.T.T.

Let's see what the outcome is when he has his meeting with Broon, which I'm sure will happen.

People continue to look at footballers like celebrities. Fact is they work like any of us for what? 50 or 70 grand a year. While that's a decent salary, it is over by the age of 35, and if a player has a wife and kids to support, 50 grand doesn't bring luxury.

Upping sticks with a family, or committing to a 200 mile commute up and down the A9 isn't just as simple as it is if you make £400k a week like these fancy premiership players.

I honestly sympathise with him if it is genuinely proving a difficult decision for the family. Family is more important than a job or money in my opinion.

My only criticism is that this has been played out in the media. Should have been addressed privately.

Respect due to a guy for sticking up for his priorities, if indeed that is the reason for the change of heart.

People continue to look at footballers like celebrities. Fact is they work like any of us for what? 50 or 70 grand a year. While that's a decent salary, it is over by the age of 35, and if a player has a wife and kids to support, 50 grand doesn't bring luxury.

Upping sticks with a family, or committing to a 200 mile commute up and down the A9 isn't just as simple as it is if you make £400k a week like these fancy premiership players.

I honestly sympathise with him if it is genuinely proving a difficult decision for the family. Family is more important than a job or money in my opinion.

My only criticism is that this has been played out in the media. Should have been addressed privately.

Respect due to a guy for sticking up for his priorities, if indeed that is the reason for the change of heart.

Surely the issue is that he should have thought about this, prior to making his decision to move to the club next season. Effectively, this could be a scenario akin to Bosman. If a pre-contract is signed it must be honoured by both parties. What would Mr Brittain have said if St Johnstone stated that they wished to tear up the agreement and walk away? Stevie Broon is right, the rest of Scottish football, if not Europe will be monitoring this.

If this is genuinely for personal reasons, i.e. illness of family member etc, then we should and already would have backed down I'm sure. But I think money is at the bottom of this and something stinks, I think saints feel the same, hence the firm stance. If he has been offered more money (wherever) then saints should be compensated (by whoever).

I would not underestimate how many other smaller or even significant decisions SL and the club may have made (or not made) due to the knowledge that this key position was locked in place and the impact to next season. Like building a stack of cards and yanking one of the bottom ones out.

(edit spelling)

Edited by Texas-Saint

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-midfielder-richard-brittain-1838711

Got a few points on this:

1. If it is family reasons, surely Saints can legally ask for proof of this. (If its through illness or bereavement fair enough)

but if its because his wife doesn't want to move the family, Saints can give him hard proof of Jody Morris, Michael Dubeery and Rowan Vine who have much more football pedigree than Brittain, and say these guys all made a far greater sacrifice than you. Their families are in London

Hmmm..... But by god do some of these guys milk it for all its worth.

"Your lucky to have me"....."I'm here for football reason"...."I've made a lot of sacrifices to be here"

Guest Mongy Max

Hmmm..... But by god do some of these guys milk it for all its worth.

"Your lucky to have me"....."I'm here for football reason"...."I've made a lot of sacrifices to be here"

---------

My point is that it is not a valid reason, in my opinion anyway. My wife deploys for 4 and sometimes 6 months at a time, with no break or holiday, wonder if she can change her mind on the contract she signed!

The issue here i think as i said previous is not about saints, RC or indeed, RB, this about all the players in europe, if RB gets his PC torn up how many more will want the same if a better deal comes up etc etc.

IMOP we saints, say nothing, do nothing, we have him on a PC, like Bosman he may be being used by agents to get a precedent on this subject,  these agents do not give a the proverbile flying **** about their players they only see pounds signs .

this is MOP of course.

---------

My point is that it is not a valid reason, in my opinion anyway. My wife deploys for 4 and sometimes 6 months at a time, with no break or holiday, wonder if she can change her mind on the contract she signed!

Why would she want to? She would then have to stay with you, :laugh: