Saints - Dundee Utd 1/4/13

sjfc.spl.09-10

I love hearing other teams moan about us being physical or overly physical.In our starting 11 last night we had:Rowan Vine - absolutely cannot tackle.Liam Craig - read above.Chris Millar - booked about twice in his career.Dave Mackay - not physical.Tam Scobbie - not physical.Steven Anderson - not physical.Steven Maclean - skinny, lightweight and definitely not physical.Which basically means we had Tade, Muzz and Wright last night who you could describe as physical. None of those players are dirty.3 strong players through the spine of your team makes you physical? Hardly.

Have to disagree with you about vine and maclean, clearly remember vine winning the ball a few times last night and when maclean holds the ball up, its hard to get it off him apart from when he decides to run with it.

Did I hear correctly on ESPN that Abeid is the highest ever wage earner at Perth? It will be a shame when he goes back tothe Newcastle reserve team as he does have vision.

Unlike previous young loan players, Abeid,Edwards and Doughty all look like they could do a job in our league.

Not a fan of the loan system, but I'd be pleased to see any or all of them stay for next season.

Lomas on the BBC:

"That being said, the pitch is an absolute disaster to be trying to play any sort of football on."

Is the pitch ****ed again?

He very quickly corrected himself when talking to Charlie Mann by clarifying it is due the the wintery weather we have been having and not anything to do with the groundstaff who have done a great job keeping it together as it is such a new pitch

Edited by Kevin

Darren Jackson's influence being felt already...........

He was absolutely raging when we equalised which just made it all the more enjoyable for me and worth the rare visit to the Main Stand. 

Edited by Al C

I love hearing other teams moan about us being physical or overly physical.

In our starting 11 last night we had:

Rowan Vine - absolutely cannot tackle.

Liam Craig - read above.

Chris Millar - booked about twice in his career.

Dave Mackay - not physical.

Tam Scobbie - not physical.

Steven Anderson - not physical.

Steven Maclean - skinny, lightweight and definitely not physical.

Which basically means we had Tade, Muzz and Wright last night who you could describe as physical. None of those players are dirty.

3 strong players through the spine of your team makes you physical? Hardly.

-----------------------------------------------------

Far from moan about Saints being physical, if you read what I said, I praised Lomas for this approach. Those who deny that Lomas has powered up the team must be watching a different game. For years I hear Saints fans moaning about refs and opponents 'getting away with fouls', when in truth their own team was just powder puff. Remember the Challenge Cup final? Saints cantered to a 2 goal lead then were out muscled for the entire second half and could have lost that game. Lomas's Saints are made of far sterner stuff. The current Saints team are the hungriest since Luggy's. I was merely pointing out that Muzz put a nasty challenge on Gauld. Could it be possible...just possible that a wiley coach like Lomas watched in horror as laddie just past his 16th birthday, dances through the midfield and passes the ball into the net like he's wearing slippers (and done yer full back twice with ease on the byline to boot) and requested his midfield get a bit tighter on his runs? Could it be Muzz decided enough was enough and went after Gauld? All I am saying is a classy player would have dished out a bit of leather in a 50/50, and helped the laddie to his feet with a wink, a shytebag waits till the ball is away and does him on his blind side. Marc Millar booted Muzz twice in retribution.........anyone who has played the game knows what I am talking about, if on the other hand you really think Saints players would never dive or foul then you are deluded. As I pointed out Muzz went down like lino three times in the first half hour to ease the pressure on his defence, is that good play or cheating? Lets put the going down as 'using his experience' and the Gauld thing down to a bit of devilment, which also happens in tight matches, but nonetheless both are talking points.

-----------------------------------------------------

Far from moan about Saints being physical, if you read what I said, I praised Lomas for this approach. Those who deny that Lomas has powered up the team must be watching a different game. For years I hear Saints fans moaning about refs and opponents 'getting away with fouls', when in truth their own team was just powder puff. Remember the Challenge Cup final? Saints cantered to a 2 goal lead then were out muscled for the entire second half and could have lost that game. Lomas's Saints are made of far sterner stuff. The current Saints team are the hungriest since Luggy's. I was merely pointing out that Muzz put a nasty challenge on Gauld. Could it be possible...just possible that a wiley coach like Lomas watched in horror as laddie just past his 16th birthday, dances through the midfield and passes the ball into the net like he's wearing slippers (and done yer full back twice with ease on the byline to boot) and requested his midfield get a bit tighter on his runs? Could it be Muzz decided enough was enough and went after Gauld? All I am saying is a classy player would have dished out a bit of leather in a 50/50, and helped the laddie to his feet with a wink, a shytebag waits till the ball is away and does him on his blind side. Marc Millar booted Muzz twice in retribution.........anyone who has played the game knows what I am talking about, if on the other hand you really think Saints players would never dive or foul then you are deluded. As I pointed out Muzz went down like lino three times in the first half hour to ease the pressure on his defence, is that good play or cheating? Lets put the going down as 'using his experience' and the Gauld thing down to a bit of devilment, which also happens in tight matches, but nonetheless both are talking points.

===

How you feeling about "divegate" today?

===

How you feeling about "divegate" today?

Same as last night, not a penalty and the booking was harsh.  I don't happen to think it affected the game much, Brian McLean's injury had a far bigger bearing than the sending off.  Big Brian had a reasonable game last night and I would have fancied him to steady the ship in the final minutes.  Armstrong went down easy? so?  Professional footballers do, including Saints players...small potatoes.  Those blaming Jackie Mac or Peter Houston should broaden their horizons beyond parochial pointscoring, it is the price we have paid for protecting skilful players from cynical assaults that marred the game for decades.

For those who think diving is the worst thing in football, think again. The brutality of the game in Scotland is still a problem, some of the tackles that go on in the SPL have been outlawed everywhere else since the 80's....another reason our game slips further and further behind, British football obsess over 'simulation' the rest of the world laughs at us, as they knock us out of tournaments over and over again.

I watched the sending off again today, and I'm not so sure.  He was off balance, and went down, but as he tried to spring to his feet he was bumped to the ground again - accidentally.  I didn't see him claim for a penalty.  Never a penalty, but I'm far from convinced it was a dive aimed at fooling the referee, but more a complete loss of balance.  

Drum a good thing or bad?

As an old git sitting in the middle of the East Stand I thought the drum was absolutely excellent tonight. I have no doubt the Saints support would have been a lot quieter without it.

In fact well done to the drum and to all of those who kept the atmosphere going. Great effort.

I watched the sending off again today, and I'm not so sure.  He was off balance, and went down, but as he tried to spring to his feet he was bumped to the ground again - accidentally.  I didn't see him claim for a penalty.  Never a penalty, but I'm far from convinced it was a dive aimed at fooling the referee, but more a complete loss of balance.  

agree with this.  It was neither a dive nor a penalty.  He fell over, tried to get up quickly.  Armstrong could easily have picked up a second yellow for persistent fouling though, the ref had words with him a couple of times.  I don't think there was any way he was going to last the 90 minutes.  He did look like he was going to burst into tears when he got the second card, poor wee lamb.

Edited by Jimmy Wallace