Possible Replacements

byebyedundee

Does this forum still give you the option to block posts from specific users? could definitely use it right about now ;)

My first thoughts were for Hartley, but if Tommy doesn't follow Lomas then I'd be very very happy with him and would feel more confident of possibly progressing in the Europa League. If it's someone entirely new to the club then realistically I can't see him being anywhere near ready to take on European opponents, it's too big an ask for the squad to adapt and play a new style effectively against quality opposition in such a short space of time.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the press over the next week or so, you just never know with our club.

Does this forum still give you the option to block posts from specific users? could definitely use it right about now ;)

My first thoughts were for Hartley, but if Tommy doesn't follow Lomas then I'd be very very happy with him and would feel more confident of possibly progressing in the Europa League. If it's someone entirely new to the club then realistically I can't see him being anywhere near ready to take on European opponents, it's too big an ask for the squad to adapt and play a new style effectively against quality opposition in such a short space of time.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the press over the next week or so, you just never know with our club.YOU,L be lucky to hear jjjjackshit in the next week as will half of our out of contract players ?

Doing a bit of digging (admittedly via Wikipedia) taking a look at coaches at clubs in England who have a bit of managerial experience (youth teams, non-league teams etc) and surprised to find there are very few.  A lot of ex-players you would assume have contacts, but only coaching, not handling their own team.

The most interesting ones I found however were Richard Naylor & Robbie Stockdale.

Naylor is 36, played a fairly decent level throughout his career. Small element of management experience with Leeds U18's, managing them to their U18 Champion win in 2012 and has worked with the senior set-up in a care-taker assistant manager role previously.

Stockdale is 33, again played at a decent level. Gained 5 Scotland caps under Berti. Youth coach at Grimbsy for 2 years, caretaker for 4 games (won 2, drew 1, lost 1) and has been youth coach with Sunderland for 9/10 months. 

Both completely random options, but fit a similar mold to the Lomas option, who knows, might be worth pursuing. 

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/st-johnstone/228455-tommy-wright-a-contender-for-st-johnstone-after-turning-down-millwall/

Stv seem to believe Wright snubbed the move to Millwall. So I think it'll be him appointed in the next few days. I'd prefer a new face but will support him and be happy.

I've never seen your face, but it seems a bit drastic to want a new one.

Heard a rumour today that Allan Moore is a strong contender for the job, and that he may have already been interviewed! Dont know the validity of this though, just putting it out there. 

Might well be an interesting appointment

Heard a rumour today that Allan Moore is a strong contender for the job, and that he may have already been interviewed! Dont know the validity of this though, just putting it out there. 

Not too sure what the percentage is of ex-saints players doing well at the Club has been as manager -Would rather someone outwith with new ideas and a strong relationship with other clubs..BUT thats down to the board and I am sure some will say thats Good -Some say thats Bad and some will just wait and see how he has done by Christmas. Edited by ancientsaint

No danger. We will be looking at managers with far greater potential than Moore

I would be very surprised if Tommy Wright turned down the Millwall assistant job if he didn't think he would be the next manager at Saints.  If he doubted it he would be facing a year of working as an assistant for an unknown boss, who would potentially want to bring his own assistant.  After the year, he could be out of a job without significant prospects of something better. 

Personally I think he will do a great job, and it is a much greater opportunity for him to make a name for himself than it was for Lomas, as he is stepping up from an assistant role to the top job - lots of assistant managers spend their whole career as an assistant, and never get the chance to step up.  Credit to him for having the desire to do so at opportunity number 1.

(I know he has managed in Ireland, but without disrespect intended, that doesn't exactly put you on the SPL/championship/premiership radar)

I would be very surprised if Tommy Wright turned down the Millwall assistant job if he didn't think he would be the next manager at Saints.  If he doubted it he would be facing a year of working as an assistant for an unknown boss, who would potentially want to bring his own assistant.  After the year, he could be out of a job without significant prospects of something better. 

Personally I think he will do a great job, and it is a much greater opportunity for him to make a name for himself than it was for Lomas, as he is stepping up from an assistant role to the top job - lots of assistant managers spend their whole career as an assistant, and never get the chance to step up.  Credit to him for having the desire to do so at opportunity number 1.

(I know he has managed in Ireland, but without disrespect intended, that doesn't exactly put you on the SPL/championship/premiership radar)

I agree with this. I think the fact Wright has turned the Millwall assistant job speaks volumes. I'd be utterly shocked if he wasn't announced as our new manager.

--

That's my feeling too. If Saints were going to go for an external appointment, it's likely that the new man would want to bring his own assistant - which could leave Wright in the cold. So if he's turning down a presumably well-paid position with a Championship club, he must have had pretty strong assurances that there's going to be a key role for him at Saints.

Sure some Morton fan left a comment on the bbc saying Saints have already been given permission to talk to Moore. I am not sure how much I believe that.