Saints Shamed

Honest Saints Fan

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/6460756/Low-pay-shame-of-top-clubs.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-ScottishSun-_-20150518-_-SunScotNews-_-181909738

Saints will be shamed on a BBC documentary tonight for not paying staff a living wage. Pretty shite from Saints and hope to see them change this ASAP!

Maybe If Doncaster and his band of freeloaders has managed to support clubs by sorting out a sponsorship deal over the last couple of years, and had paid up for our Cup Final win instead of taking a significant wedge themselves and giving more to Celtic, in addition to pocketing a considerable amount hiring out Hampden for Commonwealth Games, then we would be in a better position to pay higher wages. Let's be honest, we arent squandering money on transfer fees and we are not exactly raking money in from attendances. Let's wait till we hear what programme says before we jump to criticise the club

I wouldn't describe a club who barely manage to turn a profit but are not paying the living wage 'shameful'. I do however agree that large multi-national corporations who turn tens, hundreds and billions of pounds profit and yet don't pay the living wage are shameful. You also have to consider that this list includes sub-contracted staff. For example, if Saints use/used a cleaning firm and that firm were paying below the living wage to their staff. And if this list contains the wee boys and lassies who work on the pie stalls then frankly it's not worth the paper its written on. More details before we wage all out reputational war please.

Seems this has been posted because the OPs beloved Ross County aren't on the list.  While it would be nice if everyone got paid more, the minimum wage is what it is, and there are massive more pressing reasons why people in this country are struggling.  Maybe we should sign up all our staff on EBTs and not pay NI or PAYE - then they'd be better off?  The folk selling pies and coffee - do folk working in all the fast food joints in Perth get living wage?  Are they 'shamed' for not doing it.  Why are Saints any different?  The club has run at a loss for the last 3 years.  If my company ran at a loss for three years, i'd be out on my arse, not looking for a pay-rise.

Any opportunity for HSF to put the club down.

Seems this has been posted because the OPs beloved Ross County aren't on the list. While it would be nice if everyone got paid more, the minimum wage is what it is, and there are massive more pressing reasons why people in this country are struggling. Maybe we should sign up all our staff on EBTs and not pay NI or PAYE - then they'd be better off? The folk selling pies and coffee - do folk working in all the fast food joints in Perth get living wage? Are they 'shamed' for not doing it. Why are Saints any different? The club has run at a loss for the last 3 years. If my company ran at a loss for three years, i'd be out on my arse, not looking for a pay-rise.

Any opportunity for HSF to put the club down.

Nail on head Monty

Once I see a post about Saints not paying players wages or other employees alongside leaving thousands (and much more) of pounds unpaid to all sorts of crediors. Leaving small businesses toiling and near closure due to their goodwill of works committed or goods provided. Then and only then will I concern myself with any sort embarrassment towards Saints. Not that any of the above morally affected The The, Dundee, Livi etc etc etc

In todays climate and the past few years, theres not many ccompany's out there who dont have some sort of employees on their books collecting the minimum wage. No laws are being broken. Its a sad fact of life that some people find themselves in this position. Have a look at the company Fishers in Inveralmond, prob employs around 100 people, around 90% on or around the minimum wage. I would bet that just about every professional club has employees on the lowest rate or hovering a few pence above it.

Although it's not legislated or enforced (yet), we're seeing more and more companies moving their pay scales to accommodate the living wage.

I guess the reason that football clubs have been chosen on this occasion is probably because of the perceived gap in salaries between those at the bottom of the ladder working in the shops/offices and the players on the pitch who earn thousands for 'just kicking a ball'. I'd be interested to see some facts and figures for clubs down south, as the gap will be exponentially more. Should Saints be paying the living wage? Morally, yes probably. Can the club afford to? I have no idea at all.

At the moment, Saints are obviously well within their rights not to pay it, but until it becomes law then I can imagine we'll see more and more articles like this, piling the pressure onto high profile businesses of all sizes by the unions and the press, with negatively spun pieces and 'documentaries' giving journalists free reign to publicly shame those not paying it and giving them a cheap sensationalist headline.

Do the 'superstar footballers' at Saints get paid any more than the top 20 or 30 staff at lots of companies?  While it is completely relevant to clubs with players earning wages in the many hundreds of thousands, Saints players aren't in the glamorous multi-millionaire bracket that footballers seem to be stereotyped as.  

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if all clubs adopted living wage, and particularly Saints as a community/family club, but not doing so to date is certainly not shameful in my opinion.

Another thing - the article is headed by a picture of Neil Doncaster - WTF does he get paid for being a useless waste for space?  A smidgen more than working wage I'd wager.

There's loads of clubs who don't pay the living wage.

As someone as said a business making a loss can't have the luxury to hand out £££ where they can't afford.

I don't want to sound harsh either but particularly the restaurant staff where are you going to get a waitress/waiter job that pays the living wage?

There's loads of clubs who don't pay the living wage.

As someone as said a business making a loss can't have the luxury to hand out £££ where they can't afford.

I don't want to sound harsh either but particularly the restaurant staff where are you going to get a waitress/waiter job that pays the living wage?

I might be totally wrong but I think the Saturday staff at McDiarmid, such as the young kiosk folk, get considerably more than minimum wage.