Pitch

Cagey

10 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Unpopular opinion

WHO GIVES AF ABOUT THE PITCH....................A bit of mud never hurt anyone.

We have become too spoiled!

It's Scotland, the country of sideways rain and brutal wind, 57° North. On wi it!

I sort of agree. Both teams have to play on the same pitch and having a bad pitch might even help us at times. It's not as if we set out to play bowling-green football very much of the time. Motherwell's pitch has been getting widely praised but certainly hasn't helped their home results this season. I think it was @Watty in his commentary on our recent game at Fir Park who made the point that when you improve your pitch, you improve it for your opponents too.

That said, our pitch has been a bit embarrassing this season. Even right back at the start of the season it had big bare/damaged patches in it.

I still think the club should have invested in a good artificial/hybrid pitch years ago and it would have saved (and even earned) money in the long term.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I sort of agree. Both teams have to play on the same pitch and having a bad pitch might even help us at times. It's not as if we set out to play bowling-green football very much of the time. Motherwell's pitch has been getting widely praised but certainly hasn't helped their home results this season. I think it was @Watty in his commentary on our recent game at Fir Park who made the point that when you improve your pitch, you improve it for your opponents too.

That said, our pitch has been a bit embarrassing this season. Even right back at the start of the season it had big bare/damaged patches in it.

I still think the club should have invested in a good artificial/hybrid pitch years ago and it would have saved (and even earned) money in the long term.

The cost is a necessary evil. Even hybrid pitches or artificial ones need upkeep.

From memory I think Watty learned to rough it on the Bute Drive pitches that pre-date Jeanfield Swifts ground.... the man worked his football magic in the Swamp!

And when we think about it, Dundee United are the Arabs ....based on the pitch.

Just think the fixation with it is too much. I'd be more concerned that we have no really good corporate spaces at McD and the bars are dungeons.

If you want to see a pitch, take a look at Manchester City 1 - West Ham 5 1969/70 game. Older members on the forum might be able to tell us if pitches like this were the norm back then. Must have increased the entertainment factor.

Edited by Rob

• 1 month later...