LASK v Saints, Europa Conference League, 19/08/21

Melbourne Saint

Onto LASK, roll up the sleeves. A very good team, not as individually gifted, or as pacey as Gala, but a bloody tough draw. (Hibs fell to Rijeka last night- LASK are significantly better).

They'll be similar in some ways to our style- zonal, high press. With undoubted Germanic precision, I do not expect a goal fest. 

Win this tie & Euro until Christmas folks!!! 

Edited by blueheaven
Title edited

The ELO club rankings put Galatasaray at 1548 points and LASK at 1567, so I think we can expect an opponent on a par with Galatasaray, if different in style. 

For reference, Celtic are ranked at 1544, which I'd say was about right in terms of quality between them and Galatasaray.

Need to regroup and give this absolutely everything.

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

The ELO club rankings put Galatasaray at 1548 points and LASK at 1567, so I think we can expect an opponent on a par with Galatasaray, if different in style. 

For reference, Celtic are ranked at 1544, which I'd say was about right in terms of quality between them and Galatasaray.

Malmö were over 140 points inferior that that team they cuffed the other day so I don’t see why we should fear LASK just because they have a couple of decent(ish) results.

Edited by Saintdunc

2 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Where do the Super Saintees sit in this ranking?

8 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Onto LASK, roll up the sleeves. A very good team, not as individually gifted, or as pacey as Gala, but a bloody tough draw. (Hibs fell to Rijeka last night- LASK are significantly better).

They'll be similar in some ways to our style- zonal, high press. With undoubted Germanic precision, I do not expect a goal fest. 

Win this tie & Euro until Christmas folks!!! 

Getting a bit ahead of yersel there chief.arbroath next

8 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

I hope Saints use our army of season ticket holders again to sell tickets for this game.

Could be the new norm for all ticket games.

…and, an added level of complication is that season ticket holders will need to buy tickets for themselves too this time.  

I think we all probably feel a bit emotionally knackered after last night, but these games are huge. Not really much of a drop in quality from Galatasary I'd expect.

I'm sure after Arbroath, this game will start to build in excitement.

As others have said, key is to still have the game alive when we come back from Austria. We know we can defend well and we now know we can score in Europe, so going to need all of that o or the two legs.

What might help us is the wildcard of Middleton. LASK will likely have seen him vs Motherwell by the time we play, but might not know how he will fit into the set up. Throw the Finnish lad into the mix and we might surprise them (and ourselves) a bit.

I doubt they will be able to tell much about us from the Arbroath game as will be a fair few changes I'd assume.