Spoony

dave mc

11 hours ago, dave mc said:

Spoony not athletic enough for that tempo imo, much as I wanted him on 

In the first half I thought the same thing, but as the game went on they were being incredibly wasteful with zero composure in front of goal and awful delivery. I think that's something Spoony could have made a difference with.

Really impressive overall display from Canada though. Their approach reminded me a little of how Saints treated our European away  game against LASK - press them all over the park, never let them settle, and just be as direct as possible right from the start. I'm surprised you don't see more underdog sides adopt that sort of approach in the World Cup, as I don't think top-end players at teams like Belgium are used to it at all and they're not really equipped to handle it.

I can't help but wonder if Canada will struggle to play in the same way against Croatia. It's a lot to ask for that level of intensity for a second time in just a few days against such strong opponents.

Great to see Spoony getting 15 mins. Not enough to affect the game but never disgraced himself.

Too old for the next world cup in Canada but the team may do well as they should have beat Belgium and might have got a draw today. Need a striker .If they can get Bair up to speed , you never know.

What a fantastic moment that was when he came on, for us fans, for Saints, and most of all for Spoony and his family. Just wonderful. When they were down to just one more available sub I honestly thought his chance had gone - what a brilliant shock it was to see him suddenly emerge stripped and ready on the sideline.

Just getting on was fantastic in itself but the fact that he actually did the Spoony chop on the world stage, right in front of the cameras, and it was identical to the one he did for us in the cup final, was just a moment of absolute perfection.

I think if any of us could have chosen any Saints player from history for this to happen to, most probably would have chosen Spoony too. Just another amazing high point on a recent Saints timeline that's been full of amazing high points.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

What a fantastic moment that was when he came on, for us fans, for Saints, and most of all for Spoony and his family. Just wonderful. When they were down to just one more available sub I honestly thought his chance had gone - what a brilliant shock it was to see him suddenly emerge stripped and ready on the sideline.

Just getting on was fantastic in itself but the fact that he actually did the Spoony chop on the world stage, right in front of the cameras, and it was identical to the one he did for us in the cup final, was just a moment of absolute perfection.

I think if any of us could have chosen any Saints player from history for this to happen to, most probably would have chosen Spoony too. Just another amazing high point on a recent Saints timeline that's been full of amazing high points.

The pedant in me has to point out the World Cup one went behind his leg the Scottish one didn’t :ph34r: