St.Johnstone V Aberdeen - Saturday 11th December

SaintJet

2 hours ago, slambrother said:

Don’t agree, I think it’s one of the major reasons we’re here.  Yes, you can expect some bad decisions to go against you but this year that has been  worse than any other and cost us several points.

I really am not that keen on VAR but Scottish referees at the moment are so poor and inconsistent that I’d welcome it in our league.

granted it’s not the only reason along with the loss of players and poor recruitment but it’s certainly not a factor that should be dismissed.

Come on really?? We are in this state cause we can’t score goals

23 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Not the only reason but bad decisions have probably cost us 5 or 6 points.

It also means we are under pressure not winning games and pressure doesn't make for good football.

All true plus the minor detail that in our last 9 games we have scored the grand total of 2 goals both by a defender.

1 hour ago, Broggy Man said:

Come on really?? We are in this state cause we can’t score goals

I did say one of the factors and like another poster said if we were 4 or 5 points higher in the league like we should be then we probably wouldn’t be having a discussion about our current state of affairs.  I agree though, not scoring goals clearly another factor that needs addressed pronto

11 hours ago, Broggy Man said:

Have a question was not at the game but the stats make grim reading for Saints. So many on here seem to be insinuating that we should have won but the stats paint a different picture. Is bbc talking rubbish again

No just every single week for the last three seasons our stats are poor. We are a defensive side so stats will always go against us.

8 hours ago, slambrother said:

Don’t agree, I think it’s one of the major reasons we’re here.  Yes, you can expect some bad decisions to go against you but this year that has been  worse than any other and cost us several points.

I really am not that keen on VAR but Scottish referees at the moment are so poor and inconsistent that I’d welcome it in our league.

granted it’s not the only reason along with the loss of players and poor recruitment but it’s certainly not a factor that should be dismissed.

I agree and if u think the reason why we are bottom is poor recruitment. If those games ended 0-0 we would be in 10th place.

14 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Listening to the manager's comments after the game I think he's in danger of hiding behind poor refereeing to deflect from our own very obvious problems. Can only hope he's making these comments in public so as not to further dent team morale, and that what he's saying/thinking behind closed doors is very different.

My heart sank when I saw the team line-up before the game. I like Middleton but he's had a really poor season and it sends out completely the wrong message when he walks straight back into the starting line-up after an injury, ahead of other players who have shown far more promise. For me, at least one of Eetu and Viv (preferably both) should have started that game. Eetu showed when he came off the bench that he can make a real impact on proceedings, and Viv hasn't had much time but is surely worth a longer shot. Instead, we get the same old reliance on the same old players who are just not producing the goods. That really isn't sending out a good message to either the players or us as fans.

I do think we played better in the second half yesterday but as usual we huffed and puffed, created very little, then conceded a goal and were left chasing the game with no time to claw back a goal. Way too many of CD's decisions are reactive to going a goal down, instead of making changes at an earlier point so that we can keep things fresh and gain some sort of advantage. CD comes out at some point each week and says he's been working on a new plan and training's going well and he's going to change it, but every game is like a groundhog day that follows the same pattern and you can see it coming. 

The manager's approach to tactics is way too cautious, his approach to giving some of his own new signings a chance is way too cautious, and if he doesn't make a proper change quickly it's going to kill us.

Oh god, you appear again. It's like Martha Stewart. Or fungal disease,

You have mastered the art of "mibbes yes, mibbes no".

Get your testicles looked at. But the summary may be...

Inconclusive.

06_580x.gif

Edited by Melbourne Saint

18 hours ago, Evansabove said:

Agree with the majority but I think Callum doesn’t make enough of the decisions against us . 

Practically his entire post-match interview on the radio on Saturday was spent moaning about refereeing decisions. You expect him to make more of it than that? If you speak to the fans of any team in the league they'll probably all say they've had crap refereeing go against them this season too. Fans pretty much always think refs are against them.

We didn't lose on Saturday because of the ref. We lost because, as @RandomGuy said above, any error at the back costs us dearly because we can't score goals. The way we play further up the park is putting huge pressure on the guys at the back (who I actually think are doing a pretty good job - we've conceded four goals fewer than we had at this stage last season).

Moaning about refs is achieving nothing. Callum needs to concentrate on the things he can actually change.

I was reasonably encouraged with Saturday's performance. I thought we looked pretty comfortable on the ball and we looked to get forward with some purpose. Booth and Bryson again stood out for me and Brown at the back had his best game for us. 

It's all very well moaning about the manager rueing the decisions going against us but some of these ref's need shot ; we just can't get a break in front of goal and we all know we desperatley need a striker who can score goals but that's like saying the sky is blue.

The defence still look solid and well marshalled and I thought Craig lent a wee bit of authority in the middle of the park. Rooney looks like a ticking bomb at times and he needs to keep the head. 

We are bottom and there is still time to right the ship but we just can't afford to get cut adrift. We need to get points up soon and if we could get off the bottom for the start of the New Year that would be huge.

19 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Tony Watt has scored the same number of league goals this season as St Johnstone. 

Yeah but is that not him done for the season now, last thing I read talks broke down and he wont be there at Motherwell next season.

Shame, he's a decent striker.

Edited by Rob

We've not been able to score many goals for years. It was eventually going to reach this point. Cant rely on getting the decisions going your way or other teams missing their chances to pick up points. Goals win games and bring you the points. What worries me is that Ross County can score goals so inevitably will start picking up points.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

We've not been able to score many goals for years. It was eventually going to reach this point. Cant rely on getting the decisions going your way or other teams missing their chances to pick up points. Goals win games and bring you the points. What worries me is that Ross County can score goals so inevitably will start picking up points.

Like every season since we’ve came up we rely on goals from players all over the team . If they dry up then it puts pressure on the strikers when they miss their chances . 
  We were all waiting last season on Melamed getting upto speed . Unfortunately, although I hope I’m wrong , can’t see Etu having the same impact