St.Mirren V St.Johnstone - Wednesday 9th February

SaintJet

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Can we finally put to bed the notion that 4-4-2 will solve our problems? Switching to 4-4-2 last night wasn't just ineffective: it actually made us worse.

I was worried as soon as I saw the starting line-up, especially with that midfield. I'd be interested to know just how many of those changes were enforced, because for me Butterfield and May have been a key part of our improved performances of late and yet they were both left on the bench.

In fairness I thought we played OK in the first half, but when we lost the equaliser we seemed to lose all shape and all hope and Davidson just doesn't have the tactical nous or motivational skills to fix that once a game is in motion. And in a situation where we're fighting for our lives and need to make a change in the middle of the park, I have to question the decision to bring on the inexperienced Charlie Gilmour rather than someone like Liam Craig who has been around the block and is a natural leader.

Central midfield has been a big issue for a while now. We made how many new signings during the window - eight? And yet Hallberg was the only one of those brought in to address our midfield issues. Hallberg does look an excellent signing but we saw last night and in the second half on Saturday that when he's not there all of our midfield problems return. For me it's bordering on jaw-dropping that the manager was given a virtually unprecedented license to go out and fix our squad, and yet he neglected to fully address our biggest problem area.

At this stage I have some major question marks hanging over some of our other new signings. Are they genuinely better than what we already had? Were they signed to strengthen the right areas? I'm having serious doubts. Chucking good money after bad is a phrase that comes to mind.

I would have expected Craig too, for the same reasons.  But to be fair I thought Gilmour did well when he came on - certainly head and shoulders above several more experienced players.

Edited by Hospital Radio Perth

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Central midfield has been a big issue for a while now. We made how many new signings during the window - eight? And yet Hallberg was the only one of those brought in to address our midfield issues. Hallberg does look an excellent signing but we saw last night and in the second half on Saturday that when he's not there all of our midfield problems return. For me it's bordering on jaw-dropping that the manager was given a virtually unprecedented license to go out and fix our squad, and yet he neglected to fully address our biggest problem area.

1000x this. All our defensive issues and our attacking ones stem from a midfield totally incapable of grabbing a hold of the game.

Yet defenders. I mean I never thought I would write this last year but we could if had gogic and Allen potentially.... An upgrade on what we had last night 

Last night was dire and to me the position is becoming clear.  Ourselves and Dundee are going to finish in a bottom 6 with 4 other teams who will be safe from relegation and hopefully, therefore, with nothing to play for but prize money.

To have any hope of exploiting that we have to stay within touching distance of Dundee.  We each have 8 games to play before the split, 6 really as we both have the Ugly Sisters to play and they are each laser focused on making sure the league will be settled in the remaining two hatefests.

So can we at least match Dundee in points in those 6 games with Callum in charge?  I fear we will have to try since it is too late to replace him now and in any case who with?  Not feeling too hopeful.

If there was actually some potential for an escape and some shoots of recovery following the Livi win and two solidish draws then we win last night. 

We didn't. The same flaws are still there and the signings have barely made an impact. Because none of them were established anywhere. 

Our targets that were established players? They told us to bolt.

29 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Our targets that were established players? They told us to bolt.

Surely nobody is surprised by this though?

75% of established, performing well, top flight players won't be allowed to leave their clubs in January without mega money being spent, while the other 25% would get better offers than a side rooted to the bottom of the league.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Surely nobody is surprised by this though?

75% of established, performing well, top flight players won't be allowed to leave their clubs in January without mega money being spent, while the other 25% would get better offers than a side rooted to the bottom of the league.

Oh, I'm not surprised at all. I just hope that the club has finally learned a lesson.

It's far too late for this season though.

Crawford has done more since arrival than Muzz has done for years . He can at least try to push forward not like gangly who gets the ball and passes it back to where it came from then get it back and lose it and participate in stupid tackles to get injured .  Captain courageous Gordon is a pathetic waste of a shirt and has been found out that his 2 counterparts have gone , leaving him exposed to what we never saw last year . If anyone thinks Muzz, May and Kane will bring us back up next year then deluded springs to mind . 

29 minutes ago, Dav69 said:

Crawford has done more since arrival than Muzz has done for years . He can at least try to push forward not like gangly who gets the ball and passes it back to where it came from then get it back and lose it and participate in stupid tackles to get injured .  Captain courageous Gordon is a pathetic waste of a shirt and has been found out that his 2 counterparts have gone , leaving him exposed to what we never saw last year . If anyone thinks Muzz, May and Kane will bring us back up next year then deluded springs to mind . 

Hi Ali!

1 hour ago, Dav69 said:

Bizzare post I must have missed something ! Crawford actually wanting the ball never mind pushing forward with the thing ,is something I’ve yet to witness ,he’s usually running away from the baw so he doesn’t have to get involved . As for Muzz he’s maybe getting on a bit but 11 Of him on the park and we wouldn’t be in this shit . 100% every game is good enough for me not shitbags that hide .

Edited by rickardo

Think we all got a bit optimistic after 3 games where we didnt get beat. 2 nil nil draws and the narrowest of victories, not exactly a dramatic turnaround. Last night was not surprising. The only hope of getting out of this is 2nd bottom and play offs. Get into that position and its a chance, its a cup final where anyone can win.

11 hours ago, pezza70 said:

Hendry needed to at least hit the target instead of blasting over with that chance in the second half, we didn’t muster much at all in the second half and that chance should of been buried 

Pezza buddy don’t you think it’s strange that a guy that was constantly sent out on loan is now our main striker 

2 hours ago, Broggy Man said:

Pezza buddy don’t you think it’s strange that a guy that was constantly sent out on loan is now our main striker 

It’s a worry that’s for sure, I honestly feel that once we go a goal down in games that we are going to struggle to then score two to hit the lead.

Even the year we finished third we didn’t have a 15 goal striker but everyone I think from memory scored a goal that season, right now we have centre backs who get white line fever and won’t push forward in attack.

Hopefully they work their butts off at training with no fixture this weekend and play bounce games and somehow try to get a bit of cohesion and all on the same page 

4 hours ago, pezza70 said:

It’s a worry that’s for sure, I honestly feel that once we go a goal down in games that we are going to struggle to then score two to hit the lead.

Even the year we finished third we didn’t have a 15 goal striker but everyone I think from memory scored a goal that season, right now we have centre backs who get white line fever and won’t push forward in attack.

Hopefully they work their butts off at training with no fixture this weekend and play bounce games and somehow try to get a bit of cohesion and all on the same page 

I think the scariest thing is that they are probably doing what they are told to do, the instructions coming from the management team are what will see us relegated.

19 hours ago, Cagey said:

Reading the BBC timeline almost every second line says Alex Grieve wins a free kick. For the penelty it says Grieve draws a foul. Is he a diving barsteward or are we poor tacklers ?.

By the way the sportscene pundits thought the pen was given for hand ball which they said it wasn't. I think other reports said for Grieve drawing a foul.

He’s a Greive…..don’t be lumping him in with us Grieve’s :D