Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

To me we're staring at another relegation battle but thats fine as long as steps are taken this Summer to reverse that long term. We cant just spend every Summer signing over 30s to keep us afloat another 12 months like Davidson tried last Summer. At some point a new core needs built to last.

Yeah, this is it for me. It’s strange thing to say but Id prefer us going down with the approach we’ve had this season compared with the last two. 

I think Livi are in more trouble than they’ve  been since they came back up, so there’s that at least. Cue some Martindale genius now I’ve said this though. 

52 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think Livi are in more trouble than they’ve  been since they came back up, so there’s that at least. Cue some Martindale genius now I’ve said this though. 

Probably depend on Nouble, lose him late and cant replace him it might be an issue. They feel similar to us under TW though, in that someone will always step up when needed.

Youll find if Nouble leaves then Anderson or Bradley will have a storming season.

For me its hard to know who'll be down there. 

Rule out the top 5 IMO.

St Mirren should be fine, Livingston fine.

County should be with the squad theyre building.

Leaves us, Motherwell, Dundee, and Kilmarnock as the 4 battling it out, in theory, for the bottom two spots.

Suspect one ive ruled out will plummet, while one of the 4 expected to struggle wont, but to me thats how it stands.

We seem to be in a similar place to Motherwell where the squads too big and its more about trying to improve and streamline, while Dundee and Killie are trying to improve and bulk up.

5 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Week to go and season starts yeah it's the cup but can see the money made by teams last year that took it serious, change of manager etc still an absolute shitfest we have cash in the bank and released a lot of high earners, no rumours of anything apart from a goalie that was past it a couple of seasons at Aberdeen, out bid etc get the feeling it's another season of slugging it out, feels like a club no bothering a fcuk and taking us all for mugs paying fir season tickets to see ally crawford who couldn't even cut it at morton kast year, macca talks a gd game, but talks cheap!

30 odd first team squad on an average of £ 1500 minimum/pw X 30 X 52 equals £2 million 340 ish.

Probably about £2.5 million out of the biscuit tin. Don't know how Steve Brown managed to allow this to happen. Add almost half a mil on transfer fees on useless players makes it probably about £3 million down the drain.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Theyll have easily spent over £400k this Summer IMO. On fees and signing on fees.

If we finish below them this season then so be it, we squandered the money we spent over the past 18 months, so cant, and shouldnt, try and chase them this Summer by spending similar money.

Its not ideal but we need to see how close Parker, Max, Ferguson, Ballantyne and Steven are. If 1/2/3 can step up this season then you suddenly find you can spend a bit more on new players.

To me we're staring at another relegation battle but thats fine as long as steps are taken this Summer to reverse that long term. We cant just spend every Summer signing over 30s to keep us afloat another 12 months like Davidson tried last Summer. At some point a new core needs built to last.

It’s not recent news that McGregor is putting money into County . How is doing it without the authorities finding out . Must be something to do with season tickets and match day tickets . There’s barely 800 home fans but the attendance is always over 2,000

6 hours ago, Setting Son said:

It’s not recent news that McGregor is putting money into County . How is doing it without the authorities finding out . Must be something to do with season tickets and match day tickets . There’s barely 800 home fans but the attendance is always over 2,000

I’ve been saying this for years. It’s an easy way to make the books look better if you are going to spend the money anyway. 

No chance their actual crowds are as big as their paper crowds.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’ve been saying this for years. It’s an easy way to make the books look better if you are going to spend the money anyway. 

No chance their actual crowds are as big as their paper crowds.

Scottish football at its best all competing for the crowd wank fest Cup, our supports bigger than yours! While we get on with winning the real cups!! 🤣

Theres arent any finanical fair play rules in Scotland so theres no need to fudge numbers.

Theyre pretty open about the fact he just writes off any debts every Summer. Sure at last count it was over £10m, possibly closing in on £15m after Covid, he'd just written off for them in the last 10yrs ot so.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Probably depend on Nouble, lose him late and cant replace him it might be an issue. They feel similar to us under TW though, in that someone will always step up when needed.

Youll find if Nouble leaves then Anderson or Bradley will have a storming season.

For me its hard to know who'll be down there. 

Rule out the top 5 IMO.

St Mirren should be fine, Livingston fine.

County should be with the squad theyre building.

Leaves us, Motherwell, Dundee, and Kilmarnock as the 4 battling it out, in theory, for the bottom two spots.

Suspect one ive ruled out will plummet, while one of the 4 expected to struggle wont, but to me thats how it stands.

We seem to be in a similar place to Motherwell where the squads too big and its more about trying to improve and streamline, while Dundee and Killie are trying to improve and bulk up.

I’m not sure how you can just declare that Livi and County will be fine. There’s every chance they could both struggle, especially Livi. I’m not sure Wee Davie has the temperament for a relegation battle. 

9 hours ago, Setting Son said:

County count tickets sold not those actually attending. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Theres arent any finanical fair play rules in Scotland so theres no need to fudge numbers.

Theyre pretty open about the fact he just writes off any debts every Summer. Sure at last count it was over £10m, possibly closing in on £15m after Covid, he'd just written off for them in the last 10yrs ot so.

There is if you ever want to sell up at any point in future. As you say, he’s spending the money anyway. But by adding 1000 to each home gate, that improves the look of the viability of the club by half a million pounds or more  a season with league and cup games. 

I think it was when we were up in December when the rail strike was on, it looked like a crowd of 2500, it definitely didn’t look even close to half full and the crowd was quoted as almost 4400 or 3/4 capacity. 

Even the away crowd seemed off that day. I remember it being listed as 800 and it looked like 300 or less

On 7/8/2023 at 9:52 AM, RandomGuy said:

Can we not get the government or the army involved 

16 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

SPFL Premiership New Signings* 23/24 As at 09/07

Dundee 8

Ross County 7

Aberdeen 6

Hibs 6

Rangers 6

Kilmarnock 5

St.Mirren 4

Celtic 3

Livingston 3

Motherwell 2

Hearts 0

St.Johnstone 0

Will this be our league position come season end? 

I’m not sure what this actually proves apart from the fact that they have signed that number. If we had signed half of these players we would be on here complaining. 

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

SPFL Premiership New Signings* 23/24 As at 09/07

Dundee 8

Ross County 7

Aberdeen 6

Hibs 6

Rangers 6

Kilmarnock 5

St.Mirren 4

Celtic 3

Livingston 3

Motherwell 2

Hearts 0

St.Johnstone 0

Will this be our league position come season end? 

Must be! With Dundee also winning the league.

10 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

The club being ridiculed by our redundant transfers left, right and centre by fans of rival clubs is upsetting to read.....but honest and accurate.

TBH I could care less what other fans are saying about our transfer dealings. There are a load of good players out there looking for a club and a regular game and if we are patient we may well unearth a couple of good ones; I'm glad we're not just buying players for the sake of it.

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

TBH I could care less what other fans are saying about our transfer dealings. There are a load of good players out there looking for a club and a regular game and if we are patient we may well unearth a couple of good ones; I'm glad we're not just buying players for the sake of it.

I agree, the point I was making was our inactivity/lack of success is very evident. I am unsure about the positives in building a squad so late in pre season when we are 17 players down.

30 minutes ago, GMac said:

'Irons in the fire , speaking to a number of targets, offers made'   blah blah f*ckin blah,   aye right.

But we are now alone. Motherwell have lost half their team and are still struggling to recruit.

There will be a lot of movement over the next couple of weeks but Havana is right it's not ideal briging players in after the season is underway.

He can’t be serious!!! If we are hanging our hopes on Graham Carey then we are more f****d than I thought we were.

He’ll score the odd goal and have the odd fancy flick but his lack of work ethic, lack of positional sense and lack of perseverance will cost us many more points than his flicks and tricks will win us.

IMG_1820.jpeg

45 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He can’t be serious!!! If we are hanging our hopes on Graham Carey then we are more f****d than I thought we were.

He’ll score the odd goal and have the odd fancy flick but his lack of work ethic, lack of positional sense and lack of perseverance will cost us many more points than his flicks and tricks will win us.

IMG_1820.jpeg

I actually thought under McLean at the end of last season, Carey was probably our most improved player.