Saints V Hearts 18/1/14 Ko 3Pm

glenrothes saintee

well that was 'incident packed'. it was Mcdonald's pass that put Anderson in trouble. Still, Anderson was rash and I thought it would be a sending off for being last man (although Wright was close by).

First pen didn't look like one to me and the second goal sums up Hearts nothing was going right for them up to that point. Missed the second pen, but it seemed to take an age for the ref to give it.

We sat back too much and encouraged them their second was no real surprise. Reckon we would have held on but for Mannus' sending off. It was pretty plain then they would throw the ball in there for the equaliser. Quite why we went so hung ho from the kick off a 3-2 was really strange. In the end, given they hit the bar before they scored, we were lucky to get the point.

Edited by MrBored

Where the **** do I start?

Ando unlucky to be sent off - I'm sure there was a covering defender, but the pass from McDonald put Ando in a hellish position.

First penalty. God knows.

Second goal, great determination from May to force it over the line.

Hearts first looked like a free header, sloppy defending.

Second penalty was a clear handball. Brilliantly put away by May.

Hearts 2nd and 3rd looked like carbon copies.

No idea really what happened after their second other than everyone, including their keeper, being involved in a scrap in our 6 yard box.

Really pissed off at dropping 2 points. Disgusting performance from the officials overall.

Spare a thought for young Stevie May tonight. Sat there, in the dressing room, clutching the match ball, 19 goals by JANUARY, expecting to be the toast of the town, 2 hatricks in 5(?) games, RIGHT NOW being talked about as a possible player of the year by Speirs on the BBC.

And listening (hopefully) to Tommy ripping the team a new arsehole for losing a two-goal lead against Hearts reserves in the last few minutes, AND the goalie getting himself suspended for feck knows how long, whilst scottishinternationalistmurraydavidson is writhing in A&E.

You couldn't make it up.

It's a funny game, Bob.

Stick in there, Stevie.  

Well that's fine then. We'll appeal , win it and live happily ever after.

Totally.

Only one person to potentially blame if that cards being brandished is MacDonald for his shite pass that cause the first sending off anyway.

On a point about the sendings off. Ando, if proven right could be reduced to a yellow on appeal but Mannus with get the 3 match ban for violent conduct. Thems that be never reduce when we appeal, just ask paddy Cregg.

WOW!!!!! That was some game. As a Saints fan I am a little disappointed at not taking all 3 points but as a fitba fan, I though it was rip roaring stuff that pretty much had EVERYTHING. 6 goals, a hat trick for Stevie May, 2 penalties, 3 sendings off and some meaty tackling and a late late equaliser. The referee was utterly hopeless ( for both sides) and some of his decisions were impossible to fathom. All in all an extremely exciting day....

That was an utterly brutal game of football, completely ruined yet again by a ****ing incompetent **** of a man who pretends to be a professional. If he gets a match in the top league in the next round of games theres something far wrong. An unbelievably bad referee who completely lost the plot halfway through the first hafl and had literally guessed at every decision after that. ****ing shite

The Anderson red card was abysmal, utterly ****ing abysmal. The Hearts player had battered the ball 15 yards in front of him and its probably going out before he can get it, theres one or two Saints players who'll get back in time to defend and the Hearts player is thirty yards at least away from goal anyway. For some reason the referee decided that was a clear goalscoring opportunity though and off goes Anderson. This is the first clue the referee doesn't actually know the rules of the game.

Our first penalty looked soft as shite, if theres a tug then I couldn't see it from my angle, ref takes an age then his linesman makes the decision for him. Being honest I thought it was another shite decision

The second was clearer as Secret Agent McHattie clearly moved his arm towards the ball, again though the referee didn't make the decision. Instead he just froze and stared hoping somebody would decide for him, luckily the linesman did

The stramash at the end was the tipping point though. Stevenson goes charging in and throws three punches at Wrights stomach. Mannus pushes Stevenson. A group of Hearts players push Mannus and everyone gets tangled up. Why then does he send off Mannus and not the three Hearts players who committed the exact same offence he did? Pushing is a red card offence, so why not punish everyone guilty?

He then seemed to forget the match would end as we're sitting at 5 to 5 and he's still not given any indication of how longs to be added. Saints players question him and he panics and up goes four minutes. Hammill then rolls the ball about in a puddle before giving it to Scobbie right in front of the ref, yet doesn't get any type of warning or booking, despite it being the most obvious act of unsportsmanlike conduct ever seen, unbelievable.

Hearts were brutal despite playing against ten men for the majority of the match, we defended well but our refusal to time waste is ****ing infuriating, all we had to do was hold the ball in the corner and we'd have won

That was probably the most bizarre, mental game of football I have ever witnessed. I'd like to begin by saying that I believe Tommy and the team have nobody to blame but themselves for the final result.

We started off brightly and Gary MacDonald's suicide mission was a real against-the-run-of-play shock to the system. I have actually been quietly impressed by the majority of his performances this season but he was a liability today. You've got to have sympathy for Ando who had no real option other than taking the man down. Perhaps a red card was a tad on the harsh side but I was expecting it as soon as the tackle went in and I felt no right to be aggrieved about it. 

We pushed on after this setback and, personally, I would have kept the line-up the same. We looked threatening and Hearts didn't offer much even with the extra man. However, Tommy decided to take off Croft and replace him with an extra defender (Miller) which I suppose was sensible enough, but we lacked any real attacking spark down the right side.

However, we were clearly the better side and merited the 1-0 lead at half-time. The penalty seemed a bit dubious to me though. I certainly would have been disappointed as a Hearts supporter. Nonetheless, well-taken by Stevie May.

We were equally dominant at the start of the second-half and May showed great resilience to score his scrappiest ever St Johnstone goal. Still, a goal's a goal. Then we began to sit back a bit and treat Hearts with far too much respect. They had provided nothing other than a few hopeful long-range efforts beforehand and, ultimately, they got their goal because we allowed them to. Then May scored another dubious penalty (I look forward to seeing the Sportscene highlights which will clear everything up by showing us each dramatic incident.. from one angle). So, I don't actually believe the referee and his assistants were detrimental to us today. They were awful, I agree, but Hearts have every reason to feel just as harshly treated.

Tommy Wright made his biggest mistake when he took Hasselbaink off at the 3-1 stage and replaced him with Cregg. We began to play far too defensively and May was totally isolated up front by himself. We were playing with fire against a totally abject Hearts side and it was so frustrating to watch. It was only a matter of time before they scored the 3-2 goal. Mannus had made some excellent saves. 

Then the fight happened. The big fight. Incredible scenes. It looked like Stevenson started it by getting aggressive after not getting the ball back as quickly as he wanted. Almost every player was involved. A Hearts player flew into the back of the net. I swear I even saw the referee choke-slam his assistant at one point. The end result was Stevenson and Mannus getting sent off. I assumed that Mannus had thrown a punch or something, but truthfully I don't have a clue about specific elements of the absolute carnage which ensued.

It was time for Tam Scobbie to become a man and take up the position of goalkeeper. Absolutely bizarre. The problem with this is that we were left with only three men in defence and Hearts only really needed to get one shot on target to score the equaliser. It was inevitable.

Absolutely seething at the final whistle and gutted right now. Another good hat-trick by May, but we have ultimately failed to take advantage of the teams above us dropping points. And Murray Davidson's injury is a real blow. Good luck to him.

Edited by The Real Saints

Colvin makes Collum look like a competant referee, that was an absolute disgrace from the officials today. Hope we appeal Ando's sending off, Wright got back to cover and it was never a goal scoring opportunity. Feel so deflated after that performance, we were coasting it at 3-1 and threw it away. The injury to Muzz is just the ultimate kick to the baws.

Think there was some strange substitutions by tw

muzz was limping early on but when ando was red carded crofty was sacrificed

In the second half when we were 3 1 up nige was taken off and another central midfielder brought on

hearts then started to bombard the saints goal which resulted in them sneaking a point

thought spoony played well when he came on though