Saturday 17Th May - One Of The Best Days Of My Life Ever!

saint-johns-toun

Apart from my sons being born, and marrying the woman I love, this past Saturday ranks as one of the best in my life.

It all began for me when my dad told me he had bought me a ticket for my birthday, along with 4 other tickets for my uncle and cousin, my birthday isn't until September so I was over-joyed, he also got me and my son a cup final scarf each (im 44 this year and still get great surprises from my dad) So Saturday morning came and the wait was almost over, I was awake at 6.15am and browsing facebook and these great forums, time passed slowly until my lift arrived at 10am and off we set for Glasgow, on the way we passed quite a few Dundee utd buses, and I waved my scarf as we passed and was greeted with rude gestures haha! passed some saints buses too and got the complete obvious of course :)

We arrived in Glasgow just after 12, headed to parkhead and proceeded to find a parking spot, sadly we couldn't go for a pint in any of the nearby pubs as no kids were allowed in, so we headed to the stadium to take in the build up. We were interviewed by STV (but was never used) and had our photo taken for todays evening telegraph, we meandered, I ate sumthing resembling a burger and then went to queue outside our turnstiles.....

OMG! too many stairs to get to section 438, my dodgy knee did not enjoy it one bit, but the view we got from there was worth it, could see every area of the pitch, had a wee read of my programme as the stadium began to fill up nicely, Its now approaching kick off, and the noise from our end is brilliant, and then the teams came out, I almost solied myself when those pyros went off as we held up our coloured pieces of card (which does indeed look ace on tv) then the match begun, nervy to start with, with both teams making a few mistakes, but its to be expected at something like a cup final, there was goal mouth action a plenty at both ends but our defense played so well, the amount of utd attacks that were broken down were just brilliant...

Then it happened....the goal...oh.....my .....god!!! the place went MENTAL!!! and what a perfect time to score it :)

The second half was just as exciting as the first half and I was praying for us to get a goal at this end....and we did, took almost as long as the first goal to come but was worth the wait, parkhead was jumping from this moment on, chants of 'cheerio cheerio cheerio' as the Dundee utd unfaithfull left the stadium.

When the final whistle blew the place was in uproar! I was jumping, I was cheering, I had a tear in my eye! best day to be a saints fan ever! the celebrations went on for a good while, but my party wanted to leave (why??? I wanted to stay and join in!) I couldn't understand why they wanted to leave so soon, but I did get to see them come round with the trophy.

So we headed back to the car, through a sea of Dundee utd supporters, offering handshakes and congratulations, something I thought I would never see.

So after that it was just a trip home, passing Dundee utd buses, with no flags flying, no gestures, just buses full of sad faces. Had a laugh with a saints bus, as it passed us, then we passed it, we waved and smiled at each other, then it slowed down, and we slowed down, then it passed again and I gave a sad face as if we were losing a race, then at last we caught up and soared past it, and I gave them a big celebratory wave!

wow, ive rambled a bit haven't I??

why don't you share your thoughts too?

I just can't get enough of reading folks stories.  

My lingering memory of the day will be Anderson's goal, my son, my brother and his two kids, and my dad going absolutely mental almost in slow motion, surrounded by screaming fans and scarves twirling, looking down to the row in front and seeing rik2304 in tears and hugging him as the tears flowed from my eyes too, having only met him an hour beforehand.

That is what being a fan of this fabulous club is all about.  

Thank you to everyone, players, management, staff and fans who made this one of the most memorable days of my life!

Likewise had one of the best days of my life. I met the Christies bus group at 9.30 and travelled though with an old mate from School and his family, turned out I knew some of them having played football with their cousins in Perth in the 80's and others who knew my brother-in-law. A good bunch and a good laugh. At 11.15 pre drinks in a snooker club and a bite to eat and at 2pm we were off on the short trip to Celtic park. The first think to hit me there was a sea of blue and white and black and orange everywhere, ebbing and flow around hundreds and hundreds of buses, possibly a thousand.

After the thigh burning trek up the stairs to area 440 row AA seat 27 of the JS stand. My backside only hit the seat before it was off it again, scarf twirling above my head singing my head off. How can 50 year old males be reduced to acting like that ? Passion ! for the club, the occasion, the historical meaning and the collective reaction of thousands of strangers coming together for the same cause. To roar on St Johnstone FC in the clubs first Scottish Cup final. As for the goals, final whistle, cup presentation, "meltdown" is the only way to describe those times.

The trip back was mostly stunned silence at what had been witnessed, combined with a complete lack of vocal ability to speak.

A few celebratory sherbets back at Christies and the voice was found again during the replay of the game on the TV's and the goals, goals, goals, goals, goals, goals, going in (they showed repeats of each 3 times and everyone got the same level of roar). Met up with 6 others I had not seen since leaving school (32 years ago) a guy up from essex and a Staggie supporter from Inverness, and the laughs, stories and singing just kept going. 1am found us back at the City Mills for residency drinks 'til 4 am when my 50 year old head gave up.

Normal Monday to Friday just seems lack lustre and dull, like something is missing. Days like that are all too few and far between, I'm sure they can be relived in Europe !       

I though the whole day was a testament to Scottish football, the genuine friendliness of the support, the respect shown by those disappointed by their sides defeat towards us. The fantastic atmosphere generated by at least 4 generations of family members seen in some cases attending. The lack of abuse, trouble, aggro combined with card displays and 2 hours of constant noise, singing, chanting and 50,000 people having one big party should be a lesson to some of the small minded club supporters out there who have forgotten what football should be about. It's a game on the pitch they should be watching not the fans in the opposite stands standing hurling abuse at each other for 90 mins.

Saturday must have been a very pleasant change for the Glasgow, and Football authorities compared to what they normally and could have been faced with on Saturday had other teams been there.

The country and the authorities should congratulate both teams and fans for the spectacle they were treated too.

Perth was also a big party town at night, no hassle or bother at all, saw a group of United fans in pubs and walking through the town later at night and not one person in blue and white giving them any hassle. WELL DONE EVERYONE.   

Lets just make sure it is a regular feature next year and in the years to come.

A lifetime fair play award for all.

Oh, did I say. We won the Scottish Cup 2014 !!!! 

COYS   :laugh:

So many stories of the three days I was back home. It started with a "cheeky" can you get me a ticket ? to a mate in Perth which I knew he would. His next question was where are you staying and how are you getting there ? The answer of "f#ck knows" ! Instantly led to lodgings and a seat on a minibus. In the next few days, lodgings were offered from other old friends. It was really touching and will always give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Friday was spent (in the pub) with old friends I have not seen for years, we all fell in to place within five minutes. The pish ripping was relentless. The walk from Ormonds to Half a Tanner on Friday lunchtime took forever as we stopped in the street to shake hands with so many peolple. The town was really buzzing even then. The first WAP glory hunter I met that day was ByeByeDundee. I met so many thereafter. Barossa for the tv gig was an opportunity to meet Mayars, Arctic Zone travellers and Larky along with so many others. Beer goggles were on long before the tv crew left. I think I won the worst flag on display competition that evening ! On the morning of the game, my host was up with the sun and already burbling with tears at 6.30 am. I think the mini bus got to Glasgow from breath fumes from the night before rather than diesel. Parked up in Glasgow by 9.30 and in a pub with pint in hand by ten. Pub was nearly full and 50/50 orange and blue even then. I went to money exchange shop and got my first indication that Glasgow belonged to Saints for the day...."This city is supporting you c#nts" was a very warm greeting and handshake from a taxi driver. Back at the pub a couple of "the the" supporters were being lectured by an old boy on our bus about why, apart from Ross County, Saints were the best supported team in Scotland. They loved him. When the DABs sung, hairs went up on the back of their necks, I asked them just to do what we were doing and just ignore them. I knew then that Glasgow definately belonged to Saints for the day. We hit Times Square for the second opening (11.am). It was already mobbed...........enough for one post         

I was there, I cried at the final whistle. We won!!! Nuff said? Still keep watching replays of the game. Adrenalin still coursing through my veins!

Ditto, and I blubbed, not uncontrollably, but I blubbed. Some of it may have been stored up since 1969 but I never enjoyed a greet so much. Great banter all day and with some Terrors who we met on the same route back to our bus who were graciuos in defeat and admitted they were a distant second best. Loved it. Bloody loved it.

I have two kids who are Saints diehards and the apple of me and their mum's eye. Until Saturday, their births were the happiest days of my life.

Their births was the result of about 10 minutes work from me! Saturday was a culmination of supporting Saints my entire life, raising my kids to be Saints supporters, going with my dad to all manner of stupid games in stupid weather, just to see the team we love.

For those reasons Saturday May 17th is and always will be the best day of my life.

I still well up watching the highlights, listening to the players and wwhat it means to them.

The wife is a Saints diehard too and agrees completely!

We were there with family and friends (even 4 West Ham fans, the Cockney Saints), some 36 of us in total. It ws the stuff of dreams from start to finish.

SJFC, THE TEAM FOR ME!

Arrived home around midnight via Barossa club for a few sherbets , then a taxi nearer home and another stopover at 2 watering holes ,before a stagger home.

After about 30 seconds, a voice was heard to say ,"it's midnight , that's no time for a man of your age to be coming in" .

After nearly 45 yrs . of marriage , Im now thinking I should start listening to my wife more , before replying, "aye yer right , I shouldnae be hame yet "

Well it's time to return to work tomorrow. Rather looking forward to it, I must say.

I still can't begin to sum up my feelings, so all I will say is this.

To all the players, management, coaches, directors, club employees and my fellow supporters. You all contributed to what for now, will be considered the greatest day of my life. So, thank you.

Saturday the 17th of May 2014, a dream that shall never end.

17th of May 2014, a day we'll never forget. Leaving aside my wedding day and the birth of my son that date will undoubtedly go down as the best day of my life and no doubt every saintee that was there. The build up to the final was just incredible, big thanks to all the shops that made the effort with their window displays. Also thanks to everyone on here, reading all the posts in the weeks leading up to the game just added to my excitement for what was a truly magnificent occasion and shows how much we all love our club. Thanks to everyone who was there on the day, new fans and old, we all made it a great atmosphere. Most importantly, thanks to all the players, management team and office staff at SJFC, you have all made it a season we will never forget.

Back in the states now, but still lapping up any and all peoples commentary from the day!

Ill add a story that has stuck with me..... about 45 minutes after the game, 4 of us were drinking it up by our car in a parking lot off London Road, lapping it all up and enjoying the banter. I'd seen an older fella walk through to a rusty looking old 2-axle lorry at the back of the car park. He was doing stuff in his cab for the next 30 minutes or so, then drove up to us on his way out. Wound down the window and proudly displayed the inside of his cab that was now a saints shrine with flags, scarves etc covering the interior and him covered in Saintees gear. 

He told us in a rich Suffolk accent that he had to head home now, as he had a 9 hour drive back to Bury St. Edmonds....with that, he shook our hands, wound up the window and puttered away....none of us spoke for a minute...wonderful memory.

I honestly felt humbled by this fella', what an effort, on his own, an 18 round trip pilgrimage. Would love to have had a beer with him and learned more about how/why he became a Saintee. If you read the forum, good on you mate!

Still on this amazing high! Loving reading fellow saintees stories and realising exactly how much the club means to everyone, whether you make every game or not. Glad I made the effort to meet up and travel with the guys I first met way back in the 70`s when we left from Barossa Street. The sight of so many 50 and 60 year old men greetn like bairns will stay with me forever! Sunday incredible too - has the city centre ever seen so many people? what a weekend! Best ever! (with apologies to my kids)

Right, as I am not married and have no children I can safely say without offending anyone that Saturday was the best day of my life!

I have never felt such a roller coaster of emotions during the build up to a game before. Also I have never burst into hysterical sobbing like I did at the final whistle so thank you to the guy next to me who gave me a hug!

I also loved that when I was walking to Barossa Street a number of people saw my top and scarf and wished us luck.

I went with my 16 year old brother who has never really shown an interest in football and only went to keep me company and also for the fact he was going on a bus. To hear him say that he loved the game and would love to go to more Saints games was great to hear.

I felt ten feet tall going into work on Monday and bored my class senseless during news time with all my pictures!

And the best weekend ever was topped off on Monday when I found out I had got a new job! If that's not meant to be, then I don't know what is!

Right, as I am not married and have no children I can safely say without offending anyone that Saturday was the best day of my life!

I have never felt such a roller coaster of emotions during the build up to a game before. Also I have never burst into hysterical sobbing like I did at the final whistle so thank you to the guy next to me who gave me a hug!

I also loved that when I was walking to Barossa Street a number of people saw my top and scarf and wished us luck.

I went with my 16 year old brother who has never really shown an interest in football and only went to keep me company and also for the fact he was going on a bus. To hear him say that he loved the game and would love to go to more Saints games was great to hear.

I felt ten feet tall going into work on Monday and bored my class senseless during news time with all my pictures!

And the best weekend ever was topped off on Monday when I found out I had got a new job! If that's not meant to be, then I don't know what is!

Great stuff Leah! :)