Hamiton V St Johnstone

RandomGuy

It can happen. 

The reason the players we have play at this level as they are going to be inconsistent at times. 

I know frustrating but lets not worry and panic to much and as everyone has been keep getting behind them! Bring on next week. 

Edited by PerthSeany

Some were excited about Morgan on Wednesday. Didn`t see anything to suggest it but early dayd & I think he will have to get match fit.

Shit result. Tommy has to find a formation that works instead of all the tinkering he did til christmas last season.

What do you mean Morgan will have to get match fit?

Random.

Are you on the wind up? ;)

No. This whole Summer stunk of the summers after we finished 3rd in the 90's, where we completely disregard any attempt at expanding the club and instead conserve all our money to protect us when we're relegated, its a completely backwards thinking plan that hampers as much as it helps. This was a real Summer to push on and try and finish 2nd, maybe even win another cup, imagine the income we'd have got, and how much more exposure and new fans that would've brought. That chance has gone, wasted yet again and traded in for a safety net for when we drop down the league

No. This whole Summer stunk of the summers after we finished 3rd in the 90's, where we completely disregard any attempt at expanding the club and instead conserve all our money to protect us when we're relegated, its a completely backwards thinking plan that hampers as much as it helps. This was a real Summer to push on and try and finish 2nd, maybe even win another cup, imagine the income we'd have got, and how much more exposure and new fans that would've brought. That chance has gone, wasted yet again and traded in for a safety net for when we drop down the league

I don't think St Johnstone is the football team for you.

I don't think St Johnstone is the football team for you.

I'm not asking for us to spunk all the money, I'm asking for us to show ambition at least once in my lifetime instead of just repeating mistakes that dragged us down last time. I enjoyed our time in the First Division, Id happily never see us in the Championship though. 

That was truely awful. No idea what formation we were trying to play first half but Morgan looked like little boy lost. Was unfair playing him midfield, he's too weak.

We improved second half but still not great. Chris Kane was excellent when he finally got on. Deserves a chance.

Some on here really need a sense of perspective. Its one poor result and performance.

If anything, it will go to show our squad that we can't afford to take anything for granted in this league.

Its not really, its yet another example of complete toothlessness and slack defending. We've got literally nobody outwith MacLean who'll score more than five this season

1st half was spineless, soulless and gutless and we were lucky we were playing Hamilton otherwise we could have taking a pounding. Some of the 'football' on show was embarrassing at times from us.

2nd half a lot better, croft was excellent as was Kane and McDonald when they can on and we could have nicked a goal but would have been undeserved

Today showed we badly need new players or it will be a long hard season

Rotten first half - too many players off the pace / struggling with the pitch (Mackay and Ando were both poor and O'Halloran looked too keen/selfish at times). Goal was a bad one to lose as we failed to clear our lines.

Second half better - Croft was in more room, Spoony and McLean and Millar came onto a better game and Kane looked well up for it. Penalty was a stonewaller and we hit the woodwork twice but seemed to be unwilling to shoot on sight.

Morgan isnt the answer...yet. Showed some decent touches today but again seemed to get caught out by the pace / physical side of the game. Looks short of match sharpness but hopefully that will come.

We do need another striker though - Macca can't carry the team, although I'd like to see Kane given a start alongside him to see if that will work next week

One final point - Accies timewasting was an absolute disgrace ...thought for a moment Billy Reid was still in charge there.

Edited by templeofsaints

Urgh, 4th game in 10 days, away to high on confidence newly promoted side. Maybe I am over reacting.

Take this week, recharge and find the higher intensity again. Get a striker up front with MacLean and take the shot when its on. Hopefully we can bring someone in, or two or three players step up

We barely deserved anything from that game but were denied what looked a nailed on penalty towards the end.

Horror show in the first half - literally no players got pass marks, perhaps only Brown.

Second half was an improvement but that wouldn't be difficult.

Thought Morgan was poor.

Always next week.........

I'm not asking for us to spunk all the money, I'm asking for us to show ambition at least once in my lifetime instead of just repeating mistakes that dragged us down last time. I enjoyed our time in the First Division, Id happily never see us in the Championship though. 

We have the second smallest stadium in the Premier League, take out Stevie May last season and we didn't even have another scorer in the top 10.  We are a tiny club who have punched seriously highly above our weight for 3 seasons running on miniscule attendances.

This is as good as it's going to get for St Johnstone and while I agree with you that finishing 2nd, winning another scottish cup, or a 4th year on the trop in Europe would be marvellous they are just not realistic targets.

Spending heavily now would be the worst possible move, the SPL is at its weakest in terms of attendances and will be for a few years till the big guns make their way back up, premiership survival this year is a well achievable goal so why on earth would we want to saturate our squad for the good of SPL survival?

We have the second smallest stadium in the Premier League, take out Stevie May last season and we didn't even have another scorer in the top 10.  We are a tiny club who have punched seriously highly above our weight for 3 seasons running on miniscule attendances.

This is as good as it's going to get for St Johnstone and while I agree with you that finishing 2nd, winning another scottish cup, or a 4th year on the trop in Europe would be marvellous they are just not realistic targets.

Spending heavily now would be the worst possible move, the SPL is at its weakest in terms of attendances and will be for a few years till the big guns make their way back up, premiership survival this year is a well achievable goal so why on earth would we want to saturate our squad for the good of SPL survival?

True. We don't have a chance of growing beyond what we are so why bother even trying. We deserve to be in the first division so we should be happy we aren't there.

What a load of shite, we never give ourselves a chance of prolonged success and we're stuck in this rut of believing we're some form of diddy side, we've got massive potential that we consistently ignore every time we get near to unleashing it.

EDIT: We also have the 8th biggest stadium in the league, theres four smaller ones than McDiarmid

Edited by RandomGuy

we never give ourselves a chance of prolonged success and we're stuck in this rut of believing we're some form of diddy side,

What the actual ****, 3rd in the SPL, 3 years in Europe on the trot, finally winning the Scottish Cup after 125+ years without so much as a final. Please illistraute to me exactly what you think the mighty Perth St Johnstone FC should actually be achieving given the incredible run of the past 5 seasons isn't enough for you?

What the actual ****, 3rd in the SPL, 3 years in Europe on the trot, finally winning the Scottish Cup after 125+ years without so much as a final. Please illistraute to me exactly what you think the mighty Perth St Johnstone FC should actually be achieving given the incredible run of the past 5 seasons isn't enough for you?

And then we give up. We should be trying to finish top four every season, its not unrealistic as the teams fighting for that slot aren't any better and don't hold any huge financial advantage. I'm delighted with whats gone on lately, I'm less delighted by the fact we seem to have thought "well thats all well and good, but we'll get relegated soon so we better save some money" instead of "oh so we're attracting more season tickets sales through success, maybe if we push on then this level could become more and more achievable". Its a common train of though that 2000 extra fans every week would make a huge difference to us, and we aren't far away from making that a reality. 

We're relatively big hitters in the league, in our last 10 seasons in the top flight 6 have been spent in the top half, with us only finishing lower than 8th twice. We've got the 8th biggest stadium in the league. We're not diddies up here, not by money coming in nor by performances. Its bemuses how quickly we play ourselves down when we could easily finish in the European spots and continue to see our crowds rise if we just had the desire to do so. We just don't believe in ourselves enough.