St Johnstone Vs St Mirren.

Aitchy

David wotherspoon is a waste of a shirt and a wage. Can't believe he had the brass neck to look annoyed when he was taken off. Utter utter dross. How many games has o'halloran scored since he arrived last January? 2? 3? Not a striker I'm afraid. Gary miller is another to get a special mention for being crap!!

Who gave the ball away for the first goal trying to a fancy turn? A few folk where I was sitting thought it was o'halloran but others thought it was Gary miller

It was o'halloran, he has not got an ounce of footballing brain, talented as he is.

Think we need to chill out a bit. We've lost our 3 biggest goal threats and are struggling to adjust to a new style of play. It will take time but we will work it out. At the moment every shot we concede is going in and our luck is out. It will change.

but how can you know that? The chairman had sold everyone short over the summer and we are paying the price now

but how can you know that? The chairman had sold everyone short over the summer and we are paying the price now

He has, agreed, but its not that bad. Graham looks a player. Lappin and McFadden have ability. Our team will come good. We just have too many players off the boil at one time.

A very poor performance, the first half in particular.  Mcfadden made little impression and to me if he is even half fit I'm taking Usain Bolt on next week.  Every little spurt of effort was followed by what can only be called "a need for a breather".  During one attack he made a decent pass and then instead of moving forward to see what might be on offer he found the need to stop and pull his socks up!

Are some players just Tommys favourites, not to be dropped. Croft & Caddis were the best players along with Muzz last week & they were dropped today. I wonder what Tommy is seeing in a game. Maybe he should sit in the stand & get a better view.

Some get a couple of games off & some 3. After todays performance they should be in every day for double sessions.

It is time they learned how to pass a ball & some could get their fitness up.

Leave Crofty in a sauna for a week & don`t allow him a beer & he may shed a few pounds.

Are some players just Tommys favourites, not to be dropped. Croft & Caddis were the best players along with Muzz last week & they were dropped today. I wonder what Tommy is seeing in a game. Maybe he should sit in the stand & get a better view.

well am sure tommy knows more about football than most people on hear

Couldn't make today due to work but all I'm hearing is that we were poor, much like we have been for the majority of the season sadly.

Those people who pleaded that we shouldn't pay a (small) fee for James Dunne or spend a tiny wee bit of the May money on properly strengthening the squad must be proud of themselves.

I am not even going to read  the previous posts because... well because I cannae  be ****ing arsed.. So here's my tuppence worth..and then that's me for at least a couple of weeks...

Saints can get tae feck after that shite. Depressed does not go close. The board need to take some responsibility for a summer of dithering and infrastructure. The manager and his assistants needs to take a long hard look at themselves, team selection and tactics. Some of the players seem to think they are now Billy Bigbaws because we won the Scottish cup. Well I can tell them now that they aint, and as far as I am concerned they can either step up & work hard or piss off. Either way I am begining not to give a **** . I am officially not " Still Smiling".

i think the problem lies with the major shareholder

i will never say saints can get to feck

i can mind of being a saints fan in  the lowest league

so if you don't like it get to feck yourself

As much as Steve Browns to blame, its not him that chooses the team, nor is it him thats constantly getting caught on the counter attack. The second goal today happened because Dave Mackay decided to hang around the opponents box instead of getting back into position

your avatar is to blame

he has the purse strings and he will have the best team in what ever league we end up in but we will not owe any money to a bank

and he has got his cup

i think the problem lies with the major shareholder

i will never say saints can get to feck

i can mind of being a saints fan in the lowest league

so if you don't like it get to feck yourself

not sure if this post is tongue in cheek or not but it must've been a real bad performance for ghostie to come out say what he said. As for your bit you're out of order

I'm sure Sportscene tonight will come up with the usual..."but these decisions even themselves out over the season" when we all know that in Saints case they don't even themselves out over a lifetime!

That's if Sportscene even bother to show this in their highlights in the first place!

On a positive note though that Graham goal was a top class one. Outstanding pass from McFadden with the outside of his boot, great first time cross from lappin, outstanding first touch from Graham and a volley into the corner. b****** of a linesman the only weak link!

The worrying thing about yesterday and the home game against Dundee was that both teams seemed to want it more than us. In the first half yesterday, St Mirren looked like the St Johnstone team of the past few seasons. They were closing us down at every opportunity, winning all the 50/50 balls and looked threatening every time they went forward.

I am not calling into question any of our players professionalism, but I do have my doubts about some of their hunger. Many of our squad have achieved unbelieveable success over the past few years, with top half finished, European football and a Scottish Cup win. As a professional footballer playing for a club out with Celtic, that's about as good as it gets in Scotland.

I look at the likes of Hamilton and see a team full of young guys that are eager to improve and realise that Hamilton are a stepping stone to bigger things, then I look at us and see a squad with many coming into the latter stages of their careers and other like David Wotherspoon and Gary Miller who seem quite content to plod along at Saints and don't have much ambition beyond that. It's a dangerous combination.

At the moment we are making too many mistakes defensively and getting punished every time. We need to get back to basics defensively and stop making silly errors.

In midfield, the players need to start being more positive. There was no movement in the middle yesterday and in order to be more successful we need to see more of the men in the middle trying to play more cutting passes and making forward runs beyond the strikers. Strange that Caddis was dropped yesterday as I thought he played ok last week against Dundee United and is one of the few midfielders we have that has the ability to link up with our front men and get into threating positions. Lee Croft made a massive difference when he came on, he has the ability to do that on a regular basis, but has only been showing glimpses of it over the past year or so. Let's hope he starts putting in some consistently good performances in the near future.

Up front, Brian Graham dosent offer much in terms of link up etc, but he obviously has a good eye for goal. McFadden showed some glimpses of his class, but is obviously well short of match fitness.

Overall, I'm not hitting the panic button quite yet. We are in the position we are due to the Chairman and boards negativity and lack of ambition in the summer and also suffering the misfortune of losing two key players in Tam Scobbie and Steven MacLean. I can't see us getting dragged into the relegation battle, but I would be very surprised if we made top 6.

For me the problem lay in the team selection. Tommy changes things too much and it's not working. This squad rotation nonsense frustrates the life out of me. Particularly when it's players like Caddis and Croft who make way for others who are not good enough to be starting or are so off form they should be dropped.

As much as I believe this is a season too far for Frazer Wright who was rightly displaced by Scobbie, I absolutely detest that back four with MacKay at centre half and Miller at right back. Miller isn't good enough to start matches and was a real weak link for us yesterday. He couldn't complete a simple pass in the lead up to their second goal resulting in us losing the ball and they scored from that. You nullify every strength MacKay brings to the team by putting him in the middle. This left Wotherspoon horribly exposed wide right and made him look a lot worse than he actually is.

The other player who should not have started the game based on previous performances is O'Halloran. Disappointingly I believe TW was probably forced into starting him by this belief that it's wrong to start with one striker up front at home to St.Mirren. If a 4-5-1 is the formation that suits the players we have available and allows them to play at their best then that is the formation he should use regardless of where or who we are playing. I would far rather watch Graham play up top on his own, being fed by the wide men and supported by the highest midfielders than watch O'Halloran run around like a headless chicken. That miss was criminal. He's poor.

It's absolutely no surprise to me that once Croft came on the game changed significantly in our favour. He must be perplexed as to why O'Halloran gets a start ahead of him. Wotherspoon is struggling but he's not in the same category as O'Halloran who is just not a great footballer (but thinks he is). It's no surprise to me that the two players who shouldn't have started that game gave the ball away in the lead up to both of St.Mirrens goals.

On another note I thought Murray Davidson was poor yesterday too. First touch was awful and the ball was away from him before he could do anything with it. We lost possession a lot because of this. More so than anyone else. He kept getting in Brown's way too. I am not sure those two can play together effectively.

All in all I don't agree with Jim Goodwin that the loss of May is the problem. I think it's the loss of MacLean. We play a very specific style of football that requires a guy like MacLean up front to hold up the ball until the rest of the team gets up in support. Graham will score goals for us but he's not that type of player. We need to change our style to adapt to the loss of MacLean and we need a settled formation and team selection. TW really needs to calm down the constant changing. We have admittedly been unlucky with injuries so it's not all Tommy's fault but he does have to take some responsibility for the needless chopping and changing. It's doing us no favours.

This was the first match I've seen since mid-August. Obviously it was a poor performance and the loss of Steven MacLean has clearly been detrimental, but I didn't leave McDiarmid Park with any real feeling of disappointment like I usually do after a defeat.

Maybe this is because I've already experienced the disappointment of hearing about everything seemingly falling apart at Saints and I was therefore expecting another defeat yesterday before the match had even begun. On the other hand, as is more likely the case, I think my expectations were lower than what I actually ended up seeing yesterday afternoon. I've been told that our performance against Dundee was considerably worse than yesterday and my opinion has maybe been swayed by not being around to witness the last few performances, but I still firmly believe that there is a lot of promise in this team.

The match was frustrating more than anything else, because of our waste of potential. We have some very good players in that squad and we should be getting better results, but they will come. Something just isn't clicking at the moment. Whether it is down to a lack of confidence or something else, I'm not sure. Our passing was off-kilter in the first-half and O'Halloran had a poor game, costing us their first goal and then missing a fantastic opportunity of his own, but what do you expect from a winger playing out of position? I thought McFadden should have maybe started the match instead of him, although it soon became clear that he is lacking a fair bit of match fitness. His flashes of quality are undeniable though and we'll undoubtedly become a far stronger force when guys like him, Simon Lappin and Murray Davidson are fully match-fit.

It was my first time seeing Brian Graham and he offered more than I expected in the second-half particularly. He certainly seems to be a player who would thrive from playing alongside another striker (most likely McFadden).

So, yes, a poor performance but I'm not worried yet. The team is lacking a bit of awareness. The midfield isn't creating enough for the strikers and the defence is getting caught out on the counter-attack far too easily. But we know the quality which some of these players possess. Once we get a couple of decent results on the trot, we should hopefully see a new lease of life within the team. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later and there will be no need for me to re-evaluate my opinions by the time Christmas arrives.

Oh, and Croft was excellent when he came on. He really changed the game in our favour and he should start in our next match with Lappin on the other wing.

Edited by The Real Saints

It should be noted that we had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed yesterday.In the first one the goalie goes down so it must be a foul it's a contact sport ffs.The second one our player was a yard onside but the east stand linesman who couldn't even keep up with play gave it offside. These goals are allowed and it would be a whole different discussion on here.

Agree with this ejksjfc,  Even last week at Utd if O Halloran shot goes in instead of hitting the post we may have stolen a point, However we are getting beat and need to start getting points on the board again, Or we could be in a playoff place battle and that is where I could not see this squad not having the necessary fight to get us out of it. however lets stay positive onwards and upwards.   

It should be noted that we had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed yesterday.In the first one the goalie goes down so it must be a foul it's a contact sport ffs.The second one our player was a yard onside but the east stand linesman who couldn't even keep up with play gave it offside. These goals are allowed and it would be a whole different discussion on here.

Last season our 2-0 win at McD had 2329 attendance.

Yesterday was 3400 so an increase of 1071.

Pretty good.

Were definetly going to make more money this financial year les costs.... bumper transfer fee although we could've got much more if we kept him and finally the playoof against The Rangers will be a sell out....So great job SB I love you man