Scottish Cup Game At Dumfries

glenrothes saintee

Is that it season over? What's left? Knocked out of both cups by Championship teams neither excusable. Could not believe what I saw yesterday. Firstly team selection. My thoughts on that are that TW must have believed it was going to be an easy task why else would he play an untested player in Swanson and why would he play McFadden and Swanson before O'Halloran. Tactics again were too defensive and we were too slow going from back to front. On far too many occasions Kane and O'Halloran spun and made runs in behind their defence just for us to play it square across the back or midfield. Last season May scored numerous goals with his runs in behind. Lastly the players at times seemed of the pace and uninterested as if they thought the result would come. We lack imagination in midfield and our lack of pace at the back is being to show cracks. As I said at the start, is our season over? Not quite we have top 6 to aim for but most importantly we need to build for next season.

Ach well.......... Dont know about everyone else,but i lost the feel good factor a few weeks after our cup win.Once the transfer window opened it was pretty pash fae there :?

Sums up the whole season for me. Didn't capitalise on it at all. Would have bought a season book but didn't bother when they eventually came available. My brother said the same.

Knocked out of both cups by championship teams without putting up a fight or it just we are not good enough.

Is there much between the bottom of Premier & top of Championship.

I suppose when we were in the old 1st division we were quick to point out that there was nowt between us and the bottom 4 or 5 in the top league

I suppose when we were in the old 1st division we were quick to point out that there was nowt between us and the bottom 4 or 5 in the top league

Yeah,said before the game that we had afew good cup runs in 1st so should expect a hard game. Pity Tommy didn't.

Yeah,said before the game that we had afew good cup runs in 1st so should expect a hard game. Pity Tommy didn't.

Knocked out of both cups by championship teams without putting up a fight or it just we are not good enough.

Is there much between the bottom of Premier & top of Championship.

My biggest worry is if and I hope we do not get relegated it will be very difficult to come back up

Not good reading that we gave up our cup without mutch of a fight. Also angry to hear that Danny Swanson was treated so badly by our own support. Danny is not the first to have a dissapointing debut. I am sure he will come good. Sounds like bad form from a section of our support. Disappointed to be out of the cup but more disappointed in our own fans.

for me we can talk about indvidual players, permutations and systems all day but unless whatever 11 we put on the pitch plays aggressively and at high tempo then we simply fail as we do not possess players of the right skill level to play silky football. so the questions comes back to the management team - explain why we can perform as per recent games against Dundee Unt and Aberdeen and and yet so abysmally in other recent games without exception? it's their job to ensure the chosen team goes out with the right mindset and if they haven't got it do something about it. if we had the effort most of us forgive losing. If the performance yesterday was as crap as reported I would have had them all in Perth this morning with some high intensity training as a starter.

for me we can talk about indvidual players, permutations and systems all day but unless whatever 11 we put on the pitch plays aggressively and at high tempo then we simply fail as we do not possess players of the right skill level to play silky football. so the questions comes back to the management team - explain why we can perform as per recent games against Dundee Unt and Aberdeen and and yet so abysmally in other recent games without exception? it's their job to ensure the chosen team goes out with the right mindset and if they haven't got it do something about it. if we had the effort most of us forgive losing. If the performance yesterday was as crap as reported I would have had them all in Perth this morning with some high intensity training as a starter.

They were rewarded with a day off

This.

I keep saying this but only two players from the cup final winning starting team are not here anymore. As good as Dunne was he was not instrumental in the way May was. May was a huge loss and I cannot criticise TW for struggling to replace him. But it's the way we played every bit as much as the personnel that got us to the cup final last season. We were all over teams last season, it was aggressive, it was pressing, we made life difficult for them. Queens did that to us yesterday and beat us like we beat teams last season. Hamilton, St.Mirren and Kilmarnock have all done it to us this season and won easily. On the rare occasions we have done it, we have looked much more like Saints of last season and actually earned something from those matches.

I spent 11 hours in the car on icy and foggy motorways to attend that game, At the end, I stood at the front row and applauded the players off the field. Queens deserved their win and on that performance no other team will want to see their name coming out of the hat as their opponents in the next round.

In the first half we played route 1 and the two QoS centre backs were gobbling them up, McFadden and Kane would have needed a trampoline to beat either of them, not sure they even had to jump to win any of these balls. Their defenders were very physical and bullied Kane an McFadden off the ball, if we were planning to play route 1 against big strong guys then I would have started Graham.

In the second half we changed tactics and kept the ball on the ground but we lacked the ability to get in behind them and also no-one was running at them to make them commit men so they could stand back and man mark us and make the tackles. Of the players I felt only Ando got pass marks today. The others struggled with the extra pace of the astro and I think that gave Queens a big advantage.

Yes the team selection was a bit odd, the new guy Swanson was clearly puggled 20 minutes into the first half with his face red and blowing like a Leith hooker. Some of the players didn't look up for it.

On a happier note it was good to meet ancientsaint and hoodlum in the supporters club there beforehand. Place was packed, like being stuck in the lobby of someone's hoose at a party.

PS did that geezer with the bottle of whisky leg it with the raffle cash? I never heard the numbers being called, hope I didnae win :(

The Old saying you  "never miss what you never had" is ringing out loud and clear in our household  today. For the best part of 50 years I have seen us get put out of the cup in some dire performances against teams above us and below us in the league placing's at the particular time. It has never really been a big issue before as for 49 of these years I have always said/ or was  told by our elders that we would be knocked out eventually anyway?? That changed last year when we didna get knocked out at all and we went on to win the Cup.  Some of the antics yesterday and on here are nearing the Ugly sister behaviour that they expect to win the cup every year and if they are knocked out then it is them that was shite, the pitch was crap. NEVER THAT WE GOT BEAT ON THE DAY FROM THE BETTER TEAM. If our fantastic fans who turn out for the big games desert us again because we are out of the cup and nothing to play for then so be it. we have survived for these last 50 years under this circumstances and I am sure the loyal 2000 fans will continue to support the team as normal.  

An other old saying of "Grow up for **** sake" springs to mind also today.

Rant Over. 

The Old saying you "never miss what you never had" is ringing out loud and clear in our household today. For the best part of 50 years I have seen us get put out of the cup in some dire performances against teams above us and below us in the league placing's at the particular time. It has never really been a big issue before as for 49 of these years I have always said/ or was told by our elders that we would be knocked out eventually anyway?? That changed last year when we didna get knocked out at all and we went on to win the Cup. Some of the antics yesterday and on here are nearing the Ugly sister behaviour that they expect to win the cup every year and if they are knocked out then it is them that was shite, the pitch was crap. NEVER THAT WE GOT BEAT ON THE DAY FROM THE BETTER TEAM. If our fantastic fans who turn out for the big games desert us again because we are out of the cup and nothing to play for then so be it. we have survived for these last 50 years under this circumstances and I am sure the loyal 2000 fans will continue to support the team as normal.

An other old saying of "Grow up for **** sake" springs to mind also today.

Rant Over.

that's the worst part queens didn't have to play well to beat us. There was a queens fan on our bus and even he agreed with that!

I did not post last night because I did not want to say something I regretted.Our team is sprinkled with players that have international experience,English experience and Cup winning experience.Sadly we were out-thought and out fought by a team of journeymen who were willing to run through a wall for their team.

I am guilty of shouting at Swanson but he was not alone.I dont think its our divine right to win but was embarassed yesterday by our dreadful passing,shocking tackling and our inability to change when all seemed lost.For most of that match I felt we could get nothing from it...unfortunately the players felt the same.

Their keepers schoolboy antics angered everyone bar the ref but in truth he was there to keep a clean sheet which he did from the comfort of his armchair,while smoking a cigar.

In nine short months as far as the cup goes we have exchanged confetti cannons for a damp squib.

They were rewarded with a day off

exactly ! some hard graft tomorrow morning (perhaps a gentle jog up and down Kinnoull Hill ) commencing 0845 and not the usual lunch time start followed by a verbal roasting re absence of commitment and effort yesterday and various other weeks followed by tackling skills followed by passing skills followed by shooting skills followed by tactical awareness skills a bite to eat for tea at 1730 followed by a viewing of the QOS game followed by a Q & A session attended by WAP forum guests. depart for home around 21.00 and a good nights sleep before the Celtic prep commences at 0900 Tuesday.

A bit of shock therapy to blow away cobwebs and easyosy attitudes.

Questions have to be asked about the level of performance this season. Even when we've won games we haven't been playing well. You could count on one hand the number of good performances we've had and even then it's no consistent it's 1 good half 1 crap half. Even opposition players are starting to question us.

Can already see what will happen against celtic. We'll come out all guns blazing play really well NOT SCORE and get beat 1-0. Then we play United and we will be back to playing shite again

Questions have to be asked about the level of performance this season. Even when we've won games we haven't been playing well. You could count on one hand the number of good performances we've had and even then it's no consistent it's 1 good half 1 crap half. Even opposition players are starting to question us.

Can already see what will happen against celtic. We'll come out all guns blazing play really well NOT SCORE and get beat 1-0. Then we play United and we will be back to playing shite again

Saints 2 Tics 1,  Saints 2 Utd 0

Well yesterday was shit all round.

Can only assume it was too much hassle for the players to put some effort in yesterday. It's sad that we were only able to attack them because they deliberately sat back after they scored. Passing was shocking too. The players need slapped around a bit. Probably won't bother with many more games at all this season. Not sure if I've been to a good game this season...

Car tyre decided it was going to blow out on the motorway at 10 pm on the way home last night just to round the day off.

Oh well, always next season I suppose..