Killie v Saints 9/4/16

As long as TW drops those who are majorly out of form we will win. 

Throw Sutton and Kane up top. 

Killie will by physical and like against United, a team up for the challenge to stay up and get out of the play offs. 

Heres hoping we don't lie on our backs again and get our tummy tickled as it has been many games this season. 

If that is the case then I'm all aboard the train for 4th and Celtic for the cup. I can't abide the idea that even a nightmare trip to a backwater is something to be scorned upon by Saints fans, even if in exchange for being theoretically minorly better rested for tedious repetitive games against SPL opponents.

A few weeks ago we should have been challenging for 3rd despite a poor January and we'd only have our own poor performances to blame if we didn't get 4th now, even if the cup winners are out of our hands

I remember the stick Lomas took on here for implying Europe would be a hassle. Now it sounds like a load of Saints fans are parroting him.

We can't simply choose to take a year off from Europe to "rebuild" or whatever other bizarre reasoning is being applied to this crazy train of thought. We're not Man Utd. Qualifying for Europe is a huge achievement and honour for Saints and it's what we should be striving for all year, every year. I hope we play in Europe for not just a fifth summer in a row, but also a sixth and a seventh and an eighth. It's about prestige for the club, and attracting the best players, and being involved in big matches and testing ourselves against different opposition. And call me trivial but it's also a lot of fun. To suggest that we don't want it, or that we should try not to get it, or that not qualifying will somehow make us better next season, is all ridiculous.

Miss out this time and it could be a long, long time before we get there again. As a club we absolutely must take these opportunities when we can get them, or what's the point in any of it?

I remember the stick Lomas took on here for implying Europe would be a hassle. Now it sounds like a load of Saints fans are parroting him.

We can't simply choose to take a year off from Europe to "rebuild" or whatever other bizarre reasoning is being applied to this crazy train of thought. We're not Man Utd. Qualifying for Europe is a huge achievement and honour for Saints and it's what we should be striving for all year, every year. I hope we play in Europe for not just a fifth summer in a row, but also a sixth and a seventh and an eighth. It's about prestige for the club, and attracting the best players, and being involved in big matches and testing ourselves against different opposition. And call me trivial but it's also a lot of fun. To suggest that we don't want it, or that we should try not to get it, or that not qualifying will somehow make us better next season, is all ridiculous.

Miss out this time and it could be a long, long time before we get there again. As a club we absolutely must take these opportunities when we can get them, or what's the point in any of it?

Long termism. Whats the point in qualifying this year, having no Summer again and struggling to the degree we have this year, outwith a good two months we've been one of the worst sides in the league, we won't get away with that next season and will slip down the league more than likely. If we take this Summer to recover, rebuild and integrate new players properly then we'll have a better chance of being successful next season and beyond. 

Its not as simple as you make out.

Long termism. Whats the point in qualifying this year, having no Summer again and struggling to the degree we have this year, outwith a good two months we've been one of the worst sides in the league, we won't get away with that next season and will slip down the league more than likely. If we take this Summer to recover, rebuild and integrate new players properly then we'll have a better chance of being successful next season and beyond. 

Nor is it as simple as you make out. The players could have a long rest in the summer and end up relegated next season. There's no guarantee that "missing out" on Europe would suddenly lead to some massive long term improvement; to what? We are already doing consistently well. It's quite unbelievable to me that Saints fans would be happy enough to not bother with it. What would the aim be next season with a squad of rested players? To finish as high as possible presumably, perhaps in a European spot. 

We had a fairly unforgiving time of it against Alashkert but that shouldn't cloud the other campaigns. It's not impossible that it could be the last time we ever qualify. We should at least try to. Or else what's the point at all?

Guest ScottMann

You know something, this is brilliant. St Johnstone fans are worried that we might finish as low as 7th in the top division...that we've played too often in Europe recently...are really pissed off we didn't beat Hibs to get to another cup final....have to comfort themselves with watching the DVD of our Scottish Cup win instead. What a magnificent time to support Saints!

"Struggling to the degree we have this year"? Can you step back for a second and listen to yourself? We're one point off being in a European position. If we were miles off qualifying for Europe, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

You want us to be less successful this season, on the off-chance that it might make us successful next season? Why? What's the difference? What's your aim for next season, if not to qualify for Europe again?

And that's before even mentioning the fact that there's absolutely no evidence to suggest a longer summer will make us any better next season (didn't all the teams currently below us in the league have longer summers last year??). 

We've struggled quite badly since Christmas tbh. That we've still got a good chance of finishing fourth and getting into Europe again is testament to the fantastic form in the autumn.

While it's possibly quite negative to be saying maybe missing out on European football wouldn't be such a bad thing neither can I simply agree that I want it because we're Saints and, hey it might never happen again. That outlook is also negative.

Lets not forget that we run with quite a small squad. It's more than possible that the players are feeling the affects of a very busy few years.

We've got a small, ageing, injury prone squad thats struggled for 70% of the season and are showing massive signs of wear and tear. We need a massive rebuild. European campaigns are costing the club money, draining the players of recovery time and aren't a draw for potential signings. I'm just saying its not the end of the world if we miss out this year.

We need a massive rebuild next year I don't think it's unfair to suggest we rather finish 4th not get into Europe and use that money to get a couple of decent players rather than it spunked away having to travel to the arse end of nowhere.

We really do need to spend to find the next core of the team that can keep us going for years to come. If it's between a 6000 mile trip or having a bit more in the budget to get the next Dave MacKay and Chris Millar for the next 10 years, it's a bit of a no brainer.

On the other hand it's brilliant for the club and I get we should strike while the iron is hot, but other than prestige what do we get out of it? unless the qualifying rounds are regional which is never going to happen, is it really sustainable year on year?

Nice dilemma to have mind you! 

Guest ScottMann

Just out of interest, can a club decline to enter European competition if they were in a qualifying position ie could we finish 4th, qualify but say no thanks we'll miss out this year meaning the 5th placed side could enter instead? Unlikely obviously but is it possible?

It's not Football Manager mate.  Taking a couple of weeks off won't allow the fitness stats to go up to 100%!!

I don't know why people watch football if they get no joy out of it. The joy for me is being successful, whether that be over one match or one season. Qualifying for Europe is the only thing we can achieve from the League set up, absolute madness to not want to be as successful as possible on the off chance it might help us finish 6th instead of 8th next year. 

Nice to see yet another thread being hijacked off topic.

This is a catch 22 situation for us this season. Whilst finishing 4th and the kudos and prestige that would bring us as a club having maintained that level on a limited budget, and the extra cash for that place, for 5th season in a row, is it worth it in time and expense for the club ?

Yes, whilst some on here are thinking about the away trip, that is for personal reasons, not necessarily for the good and benefit of the club.

For, lets be honest, what, 2 games, maybe 4 at most (counting both legs).

Next season potentially is shaping up to be a brutal fight for the majority of the league, 4th and 10th place are separated by only 11 points, less than 4 games over 32 played so far.

We also have the introduction of "them" and potentially Hibs to add into the mix next season also.

If foregoing a very brief fling in Europe over the summer allows us to rest, recover, reinvigorate and regroup as a team ready for the battle next season then that has to be worth it for the long term survival in the Premier league.  

Sometimes it’s better to lose the battle to win the war

As much as I'd like to go to this, I may well be struggling for time dependant on when my ex drops my sons off on Saturday.

However - and this is a gripe at every other stadium - why should it cost me £32 to take me and my sons to see the same fixture that would cost £15 at McDiarmid Park? And that includes home AND away fans!

Here's an idea for next season - an arrangement between all premier league teams to sell tickets at their home grounds for away fixtures in family enclosures for a fixed price (£15 - £20). May encourage families to partake in away games.

Celtic could sell packages to their flags that have been taking up the majority of seats at the ghostly Celtic Park this season!