Killie v Saints 9/4/16

It's not Football Manager mate.  Taking a couple of weeks off won't allow the fitness stats to go up to 100%!!

Mackay, Anderson, Easton, Millar, Muzz and MacLean all finished last season with knocks, and not one of them recovered by the start of the new season. It is just pure coincidence most have had a chunk of the season out with injuries? 

FWIW TW is in the papers today saying Millar came off as he felt a we twinge and didnt want to risk it further, that early subs are ruining his game plans and that the lack of a Summer break is causing problems

Did he mention anything about Millar's mental state or tell the reporter to defer to you for analysis of this matter? 

I think this could be a real struggle for us on Saturday. It appears Millar may make it, but Davidson, Anderson and Mackay all definitely miss out through injury and Maclean wont play because of the pitch. With Millar's injury problems, we look rather light in the middle of the park. I think Swanson and Wotherspoon looked a bit short on Saturday too, so I hope the injuries they picked up/carry dissipate before this game. Not quite on Alashkert levels of injury crisis, but we will be playing another team playing for their top flight futures and we've already seen that go against us this week.

I think Tommy will line up;

Mannus

Fisher Shaughnessy Scobbie Easton

Wotherspoon Millar Lappin Craig

Swanson

Kane

TBH, not convinced about Mannus just now and think Scobbie has been poor since returning to CB, but I can't see Tommy dropping either of them for Clark and Krachunov/Doyle respectively.

With regards to the Europe debate - it's a difficult one. I think the players have look lacklustre for much of this season, and there's no doubt we've picked up a lot more niggling injuries than we usually do. Also think a few players look 'tired'.

This is going to be a big summer for us I feel - Steve has committed to increasing the budget to attract players to us and we need to look at long term replacements for some core members of the team. A summer without Europe (and consequently playing in the League Cup group stages) gives us a low pressure environment to properly rest players when required during pre-season and to blood new signings and youngsters. That sounds an attractive proposition to me. Plus the novelty of the first league cup group stage is an attractive one too, although those games will likely end up being glorified friendlies.

If we do make Europe again though (I don't think we'll finish 4th ultimately, but stranger things have happened) then I'm not going to turn it down. Just hope the 'away' trip is a bit friendlier than the searing heat of the Armenian summer!

Edited by Kyle

FWIW TW is in the papers today saying Millar came off as he felt a we twinge and didnt want to risk it further, that early subs are ruining his game plans and that the lack of a Summer break is causing problems

Para-phrasing to suit your own agenda Randoom?

Quote from Courier re Chris Millar not a generalisation.

"Maybe it is down to too much football over the last four or five seasons and it is catching up with him"

"Hopefully a good summer break will help him - It certainly has to be resolved"

TW did say early subs ruining his game plans.

Yep, one or two teams have done it in recent years.

I just Googled this but can't find anything on it. Do you know who turned it down, and why? Personally I don't think UEFA should allow that to happen, unless the club in question had an absolutely exceptional reason.

Guest ScottMann

Nice to see yet another thread being hijacked off topic.

This is a catch 22 situation for us this season. Whilst finishing 4th and the kudos and prestige that would bring us as a club having maintained that level on a limited budget, and the extra cash for that place, for 5th season in a row, is it worth it in time and expense for the club ?

Yes, whilst some on here are thinking about the away trip, that is for personal reasons, not necessarily for the good and benefit of the club.

For, lets be honest, what, 2 games, maybe 4 at most (counting both legs).

Next season potentially is shaping up to be a brutal fight for the majority of the league, 4th and 10th place are separated by only 11 points, less than 4 games over 32 played so far.

We also have the introduction of "them" and potentially Hibs to add into the mix next season also.

If foregoing a very brief fling in Europe over the summer allows us to rest, recover, reinvigorate and regroup as a team ready for the battle next season then that has to be worth it for the long term survival in the Premier league.  

Sometimes it’s better to lose the battle to win the war

It hasn't been hijacked. It's  a natural side discussion to our remaining games given the situation we're in. Anyway best not to complain about going off topic then continue the off topic discussion with a long post! :wink:

At what point does Tommy lose faith in Millar? Must be testing his patience by now. I'd leave him out and have Swanson, Spoony , Lappin and Craig as midfield with Cummins and Kane up front. Tell them to go baws oot and just score more than Killie because we all know they'll score at least once.

Interesting. I didn't realise the option was there. Thanks.

Interesting. I didn't realise the option was there. Thanks.

Apparently, the most straightforward way is not to apply for a Licence from your national body to play in Europe (TheThe didn't, knowing they wouldn't receive one, allowing Saints into Europe in Armageddon year). The qualifying spot simply goes to the next eligible team, and there are no penalties.

The other way is to refuse to participate despite having a licence. Then you aren't replaced, and both club and country co-efficient gets hammered, and you become very unpopular!

Guest ScottMann

I just Googled this but can't find anything on it. Do you know who turned it down, and why? Personally I don't think UEFA should allow that to happen, unless the club in question had an absolutely exceptional reason.

Have to disagree. UEFA should keep out of interfering in domestic leagues as much as possible and keep to being an administrative body. If a club doesn't want to enter an additional competition it shouldn't have to, especially when it could cost them money. If more clubs did this UEFA may start looking at why and correct what's wrong. However, I suspect they don't really give a damn about the minnows.

At what point does Tommy lose faith in Millar? Must be testing his patience by now. I'd leave him out and have Swanson, Spoony , Lappin and Craig as midfield with Cummins and Kane up front. Tell them to go baws oot and just score more than Killie because we all know they'll score at least once.

Presumably Tommy was part of the conversation with Millar about the injury being treated or "managed" though.

Guest ScottMann

Apparently, the most straightforward way is not to apply for a Licence from your national body to play in Europe (TheThe didn't, knowing they wouldn't receive one, allowing Saints into Europe in Armageddon year). The qualifying spot simply goes to the next eligible team, and there are no penalties.

The other way is to refuse to participate despite having a licence. Then you aren't replaced, and both club and country co-efficient gets hammered, and you become very unpopular!

Ah, the good old co-efficient, one of the new anti-christs of football. You stay in your place diddies!

If you look at the wiki page for the 09/10 Europa League for example, a heap of teams did not obtain licences, although it isn't clear whether they were refused or didn't apply. However, all 3 top Kazak sides had no licence, leading to the ninth top team qualifying! Hard to believe the top 3 never qualified for a licence but the ninth did, suggesting they didn't apply. A very similar thing happened in Romania last year, where Wiki uses the phrase "didn't obtain" a licence, as opposed to others in other countries who were "refused" a licence for various naughtinesses. There's a Guardian article which quotes various UEFA regulations which apply when a team is refused a licence AND where they just don't apply for a licence. Sorry, I'm shite at links.

I was sure a team withdrew last year because they just couldn't afford to participate, having drawn a team from Venus or somewhere. I remember it well, because we were all talking about the cost of the Alashkert adventure at the time. But I can't find it on google. 

Its crazy that the early rounds aren't regionalised, as they used to be.

or send the U20's....problem solved.

Mackay, Anderson, Easton, Millar, Muzz and MacLean all finished last season with knocks, and not one of them recovered by the start of the new season. It is just pure coincidence most have had a chunk of the season out with injuries? 

If not competing in Europe guaranteed no injuries for the rest of the season I would agree with you.  But it doesn't. 

That is nothing like what Tommy said.  You need to try harder.

It'll be interesting to see the set up come Saturday and how we get on. 

MacLean was out for the best part of the game against Hearts and we played with more attacking options and movement than we have had in a long while.

Came back into the team on Saturday and we were shocking with very little movement and attacking options. 

The pitch see's him sitting this one out at Killie so, we'll see if our options up front improve again.

Here's hoping.

Depends what way you look at it. If you are anti Europe you look at it Ransoms way. If yo are pro Europe you can look at it your way.

Para-phrasing to suit your own agenda Randoom?

Quote from Courier re Chris Millar not a generalisation.

"Maybe it is down to too much football over the last four or five seasons and it is catching up with him"

"Hopefully a good summer break will help him - It certainly has to be resolved"

TW did say early subs ruining his game plans.

Or you read what Tommy is quoted as saying without editing it for your own agenda. 

Guest ScottMann

The alternative? Sand on a grass pitch like ours....class....proper fitba.

I'm not against artificial pitches but they shouldn't be used at this level when teams have to not use players on them for medical reasons. Once that's resolved, fire ahead.

I wonder if the club have looked into Super Absorbent Polymers (the stuff in nappies and the little dessicant bags that come with clothes).

I'm no gardener but from reading, they can absorb upto 500x their weight in water and are non toxic. if the soil was laden with the stuff they would absorb water from the soil increasing the saturation point of soil and also aid the grass in the dry summer months because of the slow release evaporation from the SAP back into the soil.

http://www.accepta.com/environmental-water-wastewater-knowledge/accepta-newsletter/708-super-absorbent-polymer-water-retainer-for-farming-agriculture-horticulture-accepta-4301